Talk

Advanced search

To let my 2 year old play naked.

(250 Posts)
Pippinintherain Tue 16-Aug-11 19:45:19

We were in the local park today. It has a new sand and water area which wasn't open last time we were there.
DD was happily playing in it, pumping the water tap affair and ended up with her jeans and top drenched. She stripped them off and carried on playing in just her knickers. She eventually got these soaked too and as she hates wet knickers, took them off.
I only had 1 clean pair and 1 clean dress with me so let her carry on in the buff as she was having fun.
There was a couple of women giving cat's bum mouths but I ignored, she's 2 FFS and I was right there with her. Not sure what was going to happen to her.

Anyway was telling DH tonight and he was really shocked I'd let her do this. I just think there's nothing more lovely and innocent than kids not giving a damn.

So Mumsnet jury, AIBU?

Happygomummy Tue 16-Aug-11 19:49:13

I don't think there is anything wrong at all.

20 years ago I don't think you'd have even thought to ask this question.

There is always a small risk there is some pervert spying, but you are with her

If it was at a beach, nobody would care so why should they at a park?

littleducks Tue 16-Aug-11 19:50:26

Honestly I dont like it, who wants to see/watch naked kids running around? I wouldnt pull faces at you though!

catgirl1976 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:51:50

YANBU. There is nothing wrong at all. I think people who think there is are a bit odd tbh.

wisecamel Tue 16-Aug-11 19:52:30

Probably would have kept the pants on in a park, you don't know how clean the sand is and wouldn't want it getting in her bottom. Also, I'm a wuss and would be worried about what people might say. But, you were certainly NBU - she's got her whole life to worry about what she's wearing.

Flisspaps Tue 16-Aug-11 19:52:32

YANBU. She's 2.

Jemma1111 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:53:25

I agree I wouldn't have let my kids run around naked in a park, you don't know who could be watching, there's too many weirdo's about

imissbluesky Tue 16-Aug-11 19:53:55

Yanbu

Would have kept knickers on tbh, simply because sand can make girly bits sore

Pippinintherain Tue 16-Aug-11 19:56:07

Thank you.

He said "What if there was a perv there?"

I try not to think of a peadophile on every corner, and as I said I was right with her.

I would usually have put pants on her but as I only had 1 pair I wanted to keep them clean.

I wish I was 2 again, sometimes when it's boiling I wish I could prance around naked. My neighbours may not agree though grin

Pippinintherain Tue 16-Aug-11 19:57:02

She's had a good scrub in the bath to remove any sand from hard to reach places!

G1nger Tue 16-Aug-11 19:57:25

Good point about sand up the bum. Ouch! Personally, my issue would have been 'but what if she pees/poos in there??'.

squeakytoy Tue 16-Aug-11 19:59:00

We live in an age where the media tells us there are perverts hiding behind every tree, so many people nowadays feel uncomfortable if they so much as look in the direction of a naked child in public, lest they be branded a pervert.. so sadly, yes, YABU but it is a shame because watching a child have fun really is a pleasure in the most innocent sense of the word.

TheMitfordsMaid Tue 16-Aug-11 20:00:11

My biggest challenge is keeping my children clothed, and as I need to pick my battles, quite often this isn't a battle I wish to fight. My sons love being naked, at DS1 is nearly 5. He had a fantastic time in the park 2 summers ago, running around stark naked. I don't really see the problem.

Pippinintherain Tue 16-Aug-11 20:03:04

G1nger, she's fully toilet trained so wouldn't have weed or pooed in there.

TMM sounds like my kids!

itisnearlysummer Tue 16-Aug-11 20:04:55

I'm with G1nger.

Don't have issues of 'safety', but hygiene would concern me.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 16-Aug-11 20:05:41

It is fine to let a small child run around without clothes. YANBU.

MotherOfHobbit Tue 16-Aug-11 20:06:28

YADNBU. There's nothing wrong with a child being naked.
And as for perverts, you can't dress your child based on whether some sicko is going to like it or not.

susiedaisy Tue 16-Aug-11 20:08:30

I would of kept her knickers on or it's time to go home but that's just me.

MogTheForgetfulCat Tue 16-Aug-11 20:08:37

MY DSs are total savages who disdain clothes and often strip off. They are 5 and 3. I don't have a problem with it at all, and love that they are so innocent, carefree and not at all self-conscious. I have no desire at all to make them put on clothes when they are innocently naked just in case (pretty unlikely, tbh) there is a lurking perv who might get off on it. Think anyone making a cat's bum face about a naked 2yo is pretty uptight!

Henwelly Tue 16-Aug-11 20:09:45

I dont think there is anything wrong with it and think its just a lovely image of innocence - however I dont let my DC run around naked outside our garden or friends gardens.

This is because I cannot bear the thought that someone might be - and this really chokes in my throat - enjoying what they see, not in a nice way.

I know it is prob very irrational its just something I just cant deal with sad

itisnearlysummer Tue 16-Aug-11 20:10:00

x posted there! Don't 2 year olds have accidents some times though, when they're having fun and going to the toilet is a bit too much effort!

itisnearlysummer Tue 16-Aug-11 20:10:58

Not concerned about pervs in the slightest, but would have kept DD's knickers on.

RitaMorgan Tue 16-Aug-11 20:10:58

YANBU, I would have let her too.

As to who wants to see naked children running around - I do! I think it's lovely seeing little kids playing completely unself-consciously in the buff grin

I also agree with not making your decisions based upon whether a pervert is lurking or not. Your DD was in no danger.

Iggly Tue 16-Aug-11 20:10:59

Can anyone point to evidence that there are more perverts around today than when we were kids?
YANBU by the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now