Talk

Advanced search

to be utterly sickened by this

(25 Posts)
MissyMoo321 Tue 16-Aug-11 17:45:38

here

This is local to me sad What is this world coming to?

moffat Tue 16-Aug-11 17:47:44

YANBU - I don't like animals but I cannot abide cruelty to them.

LynetteScavo Tue 16-Aug-11 17:48:13

sad

Makes me wonder what these girls have experienced themselves to do this. sad

Quis Tue 16-Aug-11 17:51:08

'Utterly sickened' a bit strong IMO. 'Mildly disturbing' more apt.

I think we've all read much worse?

southmum Tue 16-Aug-11 17:54:03

YANBU - what a pair of little shits to do this angry

MissyMoo321 Tue 16-Aug-11 18:00:52

I dont think its too strong at all, these girls could be living next door to me. I don't want my kids anywhere near them tbh. God knows what they will be capable of when they grow up. Around here nothing stays quiet, I'd love to give the parents a piece of my mind when I find out who they are.

MissyMoo321 Tue 16-Aug-11 18:02:07

The cat in the picture is a friends cat, she was out looking for her all day yesterday despite being on crutches bless her.

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 16-Aug-11 18:08:53

Isn't there a tentative link that sometimes those found guilty of terrible, violent crimes were responsible for acts of cruelty against animals??

BootyMum Tue 16-Aug-11 18:10:43

A bit confused... It doesn't say that the girls were knowingly abusing or mistreating the cats... Rather the cats were found tied to trees next to a makeshift shelter and literature on how to care for them was found nearby. One cat happened to be suffering from a mouth infection.

Isn't it possible that the girls might have believed they were helping or saving 'stray' cats? It seems to me that they perhaps fancied themselves as looking after them - a form of role play, Drs and Nurses... But in their ignorance were actually treating the poor animals unkindly.

It doesn't say the girls were starving or beating them does it? [Although apologies if I missed this, only quickly skimmed article]

G1nger Tue 16-Aug-11 18:19:17

I suspect those girls were profoundly stupid, by which I mean infantilised, and not taught to be mature/take responsibility relevant to their age.

Quis Tue 16-Aug-11 18:26:02

Children do silly childish things.
I remember my brother and I, as children, catching a frog and a stag beetle and putting them in a bucket together just 'to see what happens'.

Missymoo, try not to blow things out of proportion. If you find this story 'utterly sickening' what on earth do you think when you watch the 10 o'clock news or open a newspaper! smile

ragged Tue 16-Aug-11 18:44:42

Agree with BootyM, G1nger & Quis. Annoying but far from the worst that humans get up to.

MissyMoo321 Tue 16-Aug-11 18:48:08

The cat was tied against the trunk of the tree with washing line wire around his neck. Thats abuse!
I have just recieved this through the door:

INFORMATION NEEDED URGENTLY

We have the following information given to us following the cat incident reported in the newspaper.
1. A man was seen carrying a black cat down Pitstone road in Briar hill on Sunday afternoon in the direction of the skateboard park.

2.A man was seen carrying a black cat into the park, past the skateboard park by dog walkers on Sunday afternoon. The cat was dead.

Anyone having information on identifying the man in question or anything else on the CAT ENQUIRY in the Pitstone road area is asked to call ANONYMOUSLY on CRIMESTOPPERS free phone: XXXXXX and report what they know.

Why is this man carrying a dead cat through a park towards a canel?

G1nger Tue 16-Aug-11 18:51:36

Disposing of a dead animal when he doesn't have a garden to bury it in?

Why did my parents' neighbours not come to collect their dead cat, despite promising to? Presumably because they didn't want to upset their children by letting them see it.

Maybe the local man's cat had just died and he needed to dispose of it. They don't flush down the toilet like goldfish...

Henwelly Tue 16-Aug-11 19:05:12

I dont think you can comment without absolutley knowing the facts of what happened - it is very reasonable to me that this was game that was very misjudged. It could also be possible that there was malicious intent involved.

You have to remember these girls are children and if it was a game gone wrong branding them animal abusers and ostracising them is more than a little over the top.

yaimee Tue 16-Aug-11 19:18:38

Erm, I must say that I think it's probably the case that the girls thought that they were 'helping' the animals. Maybe pretending to be vets or just pretending the cats were their pets.
Obviously the way that they were keeping the animals was cruel, but I'm not sure it sounds malicious. Just a game gone to far, or children not realising the potential harm of their actions.

MissyMoo321 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:21:55

Abit of a coincidence dont you think? The den was at the top of pitstone road in a wooded area, he was seen walking down it. If it was a family pet why would he want to throw it in a canel confused

reelingintheyears Tue 16-Aug-11 19:21:59

I think utterly sickened is an appropriate response.

MissyMoo321 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:22:52

Maybe, but knowing some of the kids around this area left to roam the streets all day I think it was malicious.

prettyfly1 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:26:42

I dont think so - I think it sounds like a childish game that has gone terribly, terribly wrong. Something makes me suspect these girls dont have pets at home and desperately want one. If these other children knew what was going on, why didnt one of them report it to a parent sooner? It isnt nice but unless the girls were inflicting torture on the cats for fun, which doesnt sound like they were, then they need teaching a lesson. Make them clean out a kennels for an afternoon, dont criminalise them.

kaiteysmumma Tue 16-Aug-11 19:29:29

Caught a whiff of this in the paper the other day. Call me a bit naive, but I'm more inclined to think that the girls we're trying to help the cats.

MissyMoo, I'm not a million miles away from you, theres a chance your friends cat could have wandered up this way. Will keep an eye out on my travels =)

yaimee Tue 16-Aug-11 19:33:25

Agree exactly with prettyfly.... Think they should be punished in a suitable way (cleaning kennels sounds perfect) and also educated about animal cruelty and the responsible way to behave with animals and pets, so that they fully understand why what they did was wrong.

MissyMoo321 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:41:07

This happened yesterday kaiteys and the cat in the pictureis my friends hes been found but is still being treated. Thanks anyway smile

Maybe they weren;t being totally cruel but when I first heard i felt sick and angry, I felt for my friend she was so upset yesterday.
YY I agree yaimee

prettyfly1 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:43:33

Missy I can totally understand that. Last month my neighbours cat was hit and killed by a car outside my house who was driving far too fast and just left dead on the road, for her six year old boy to find. I felt really angry then and its fine to be angry with these girls for causing harm to defenceless creatures but I think criminalising them is the wrong way to go. I think punishment and education will serve them much better in the future.

kaiteysmumma Tue 16-Aug-11 19:46:57

Thats great news that he's been found. I'm always on tenterhooks when my 3 are on their travels

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now