Talk

Advanced search

to be amazed at people who constantly boast about their children

(23 Posts)
Bumblequeen Tue 16-Aug-11 12:50:00

My colleague is friends with a woman who works on another floor. Each week she pops by to boast about her four children. I do not know this woman but as I sit next to colleague she stands nearby. In the space of 20 mins I have had the honour of hearing about her childrens' exam results, modelling contract, internship, gap year. Not ONCE did she ask how my colleague was- just offloaded and said goodbye.

Maybe I am naive but how can someone just rant on about their own lives without stopping to ask how the other person is.

LadyThumb Tue 16-Aug-11 12:54:43

Because they don't really care about anyone else but themselves, tbh! 'Tis most annoying, and rather rude.

TheMonster Tue 16-Aug-11 12:55:17

I could brag about how irritating I am finding my son today grin

Fo0ffyShmoofer Tue 16-Aug-11 12:56:01

Self absorbed. There's alot of that about.

FranSanDisco Tue 16-Aug-11 13:00:48

Just turn away mid boast and ignore her. I find people like this boring and to be honest when you have children as beautiful and gifted as my two these people's boasts are simply run of the mill average achievements wink.

mummytotwoboys Tue 16-Aug-11 13:09:52

YABU - I have 3, and will talk about them to whoever will listen as they are basically all I have going on in my life at the moment. I dont think im boring people but I listen to them about their kids too smile . I dont think its really boasting is it? more that of course you will tell people the good things that the kids have done, not the bad. You might say "oh little Johnny's talking is just so brilliant", You are less likey to say "Darling little Johnny took a great big shite on the dining room rug today" .

ragged Tue 16-Aug-11 13:11:16

Why don't I know anybody like this? I would enjoy it so much (sigh). I don't find the boasting annoying, I find it amusing how so far up their own arse they are.

Humpletumple Tue 16-Aug-11 13:19:35

I know somebody like this. It's actually quite upsetting when you have big horrible things in your life and she will NOT listen to you. You get nothing back at all. Of course you have to listen for hours to her traumas and achievements........

toniguy Tue 16-Aug-11 13:28:34

Its a very unattractive trait, most usually to be found in people who are lacking something in their own life.

There used to be one woman in my social circle who did this a lot, and I found one of the most effective responses, after listening to her monologue on her offsprings latest exam result/ job offer/ sports trophy was to smile sweetly and say 'that's marvellous. And what have you achieved this week/month/year??'
It met with a stunned silence. Living your life through your offsprings achievement is rather sad really.

youarekidding Tue 16-Aug-11 13:30:32

So could I bodyofeyore wink

We are having a mass tidy up of his room before his birthday Friday, He has a pile of stuff in the middle of it that all has a box and is moaning about having to tidy. 'well put it back when you've finished DS and you wouldn't have this problem' hmm

I have done his desk etc so have been helping. TBFair though he's worked hard so am taking him out for a cake now.

Can I brag about how clean my house now looks grin HOW are you all btw. wink

op yanbu but some people are just like that.

Suncottage Tue 16-Aug-11 13:38:23

Ohhhh yes I have worked with a woman like this. How time flew by with the woman who had the most amaaaaayzing daughter who was 11 and just so beautiful and talented and wonderful and everyone just falls in love with her etc etc etc hmm

Why did she think the whole office was enthralled by this? It was endless, day after bloody day of what her DD did that morning/evening/weekend, when we eventually met her she was a spoilt, pouting little madam who wouldn't even say hello to us.

I felt sorry for the mum really, she had no hobbies, friends etc and really did live through her DD.

innishvickallaune Tue 16-Aug-11 13:41:53

I find it quite sweet in some ways, though I don't have the mettle for it myself. I find it really hard to say anything particularly positive about ds because I am afraid of people thinking how it is bragging, but my manager talks constantly about her kids and her love and pride for them is really self-evident. I HATE HER GUTS ordinarily, she is a crap manager, but it's the one thing about her that I don't mind.

I know some people are "oh my child is SOOOOOO much better than yours..." about it, but these seem to me to be in the minority. I like to hear people be proud of their kids.

At a family wedding, I had to endure my uncle rabbitting on about how his son, my highly academic cousin who is quite famous in his field, was so typical of someone who had never worked "in a proper job" and not "at all grounded" and so "airy fairy" and really hard to talk to, and then totally dissing his wife in similar terms as "loud" and "brash" and "all about money" (i.e. she dares to work even though she has children, the horror!) etc. There's nothing worse than parents being disloyal to their kids and putting them down publically, I would take boasting over this anyday.

LemonDifficult Tue 16-Aug-11 13:42:31

Can't tell if the OP is about minding bragging (in which case BU) or about ignoring people while talking at them (in which case OP is NBU).

Bumblequeen, do you have DC? Do you not brag?

holyShmoley Tue 16-Aug-11 13:43:48

surely there is a difference between 'living your lives through your kids' and telling your friends important things in your kids lives. Personally, anyone that lets their friends know that the existence/lives of their children is so tiresome is a bitch.

Janeymax Tue 16-Aug-11 14:13:43

I've come across some blokes like this too. Completely overlook asking about you. Surely it can't go on much longer I think as they rabbit on. Yes, yes it can.

Bumblequeen Tue 16-Aug-11 14:43:16

Obviously people like to talk about themselves or their children but at some point you should stop and ask the other person how they are.

No, I do not over volunteer information about my DD unless it is to dh or immediate family as I KNOW they are interested. The number of times I have seen colleagues/friends smiling awkwardly when someone talks about how wonderful/beautiful?talented their dc is. Not everybody wants to hear about every single detail of our lives. People should be given the opportunity to ask how you are.

MillyR Tue 16-Aug-11 14:49:30

I love hearing other people brag about their children.

Some people genuinely do have children who have accomplished some pretty amazing things, and it is good that they are getting recognition for it. Even if it is just an average thing they've done, it is nice that the parents love their children so much and want to support them.

I hate all this the country is going to the dogs/ we are miserable/ all our children are feral attitude to life the British have. So I do want to hear that your child got into Warwick/ got a distinction in grade 1 ballet/learnt to ride their bike/ painted an amazing picture or whatever else.

Danthe4th Tue 16-Aug-11 14:54:01

It makes me laugh to listen to others boasting, but I also tell close friends about mine but I also listen to them as well But I do have a 'friend' who told me that there child was the most mature child in the whole school and that they don't cater for their needs so will be removing them, all the time I was thinking 'hang on my child is the same age and in the same class as yours'. I was so taken aback by their attitude I laughed out loud.

ragged Tue 16-Aug-11 14:54:55

True, MillyR, and the best news (bit like brags) is from people who don't even realise their DC have done anything special at all. They just mention someting in an offhand way & you feel very pleased for them because ... you know when the parents are simply pleased for their DC and not taking lots of credit for their DC, iyswim.

MissMap Tue 16-Aug-11 15:43:41

I went to collect my DN from a drama rehersal yesterday and was button holed by a woman I had never met before who spent ten minutes boasting about the accomplishments of her gifted child, she did not ask who I was waiting for, or anything about me.

I felt quite sorry for her child, it must be a real strain to have a mother like that.

I hope that her DC does live up to her expectations.

Jemma1111 Tue 16-Aug-11 15:51:26

I talk about my children to people who know them, why shouldn't I ?. I'm proud of my kids and I don't mind who knows it!. However, I don't go on and on about them and I make sure I listen to and take interest in other people's lives too.

Oh, and I'm not boring!

didyouseewhatshedid Tue 16-Aug-11 16:09:54

People who bang on about their kids really are thoroughly tedious.

KatieScarlett2833 Tue 16-Aug-11 16:13:04

I don't mind hearing about other peoples kids in the least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now