Talk

Advanced search

'Would of' is a phrase with no meaning whatsoever

(126 Posts)
antlerqueen Tue 16-Aug-11 11:17:05

Fully expecting a flaming or being accused of being a grammar nazi (i am a bit), but lately i see that phrase everywhere (a lot of the times on here).

would of - (of what? where? huh?)

It's would have. Just needed to get that off my chest smile

And am not even going to say a thing about 'could care less' or 'alot'... :D

squeakytoy Tue 16-Aug-11 11:18:25

could of

should of

must of

They all get me irritable.. grin

itisnearlysummer Tue 16-Aug-11 11:18:43

grin

couldn't agree more!

Verahaspurpletwuntypants Tue 16-Aug-11 11:20:39

Have have ^have^

I know exactly what you mean. Think I autocorrect in my head or I'd have a meltdown.

lilmissminx Tue 16-Aug-11 11:22:33

Oh sooo agree! Pet hate! Along with loose instead of lose. For some reason that one just grates. It just come form the abbreviation could've which makes it sound more like could of instead of could have and then spread rapidly through the language. It's like text speak.

spinaltap Tue 16-Aug-11 11:22:39

Me too!

When it's spoken I generously assume people are saying 'would've'. But they are usually not.

I blame my mother for instilling grammar nazi-hood into me!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 16-Aug-11 11:22:43

You're being unreasonable for use of the word 'Nazi', OP. It means something to some of us and I think you're quite pathetic to use it for a grammar 'misdemeanour'. hmm

itisnearlysummer Tue 16-Aug-11 11:22:56

"10 to the dozen"

DH's family all say that. It means nothing.

The phrase is "19 to the dozen" not 10. That's less than a dozen.

BBC newsreaders referring to the Home (or whatever) 'Seckertree' rather than Secretary.

"For free". No. It's just 'free'.

TheyCallMeKipper Tue 16-Aug-11 11:23:47

Drives me up the wall. It's one of my pet hates (along with lots of others blush)

worraliberty Tue 16-Aug-11 11:26:01

If people don't start to learn the difference between 'bought' and 'brought' and 'been' and 'being'....I think I may spontaneously combust.

You have been warned grin

antlerqueen Tue 16-Aug-11 11:26:08

Glad to know i'm not the only one. I'm not even going to say what 'loose' instead of 'lose' makes me think :D

Also, sorry, Lying. It's what i've been called for correcting somebody's awful grammar, not something i would call someone. And i think you are being unreasonable by assuming the word means nothing to me and calling me pathetic for it.

Lol at Seckertee :D

usualsuspect Tue 16-Aug-11 11:26:34

ah,the monthly would of thread

Dolcegusto Tue 16-Aug-11 11:28:05

Drives me crazy. Whenever I see it wriitten I have to fight the urge to get a red pen and correct it.

usualsuspect Tue 16-Aug-11 11:28:54

It makes me laugh when people claim to be such grammar experts and then make mistakes in their own posts grin

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 16-Aug-11 11:30:17

And so you are, antlerqueen. The word supposedly means something to you, yet you use it. Different standards, no doubt.

There is a pedantic corner somewhere on this board, apparently, like-minded 'individuals' congregate there to usefully discuss this vexed issue.

Balsam Tue 16-Aug-11 11:31:09

Your and you're. Drives me bleeding nuts.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Tue 16-Aug-11 11:35:58

Drives me nuts too Balsam - but it didn't stop me committing that particular grammatical faux pas a couple of days ago blush

Marymaryalittlecontrary Tue 16-Aug-11 11:44:59

If my husband wants to really wind me up we have a variation of the following conversation:
Me: I should've gone to the library today.
Him: Should have
Me: That's what I said!
Him: No, you said 'should of.'
Me: No I didn't, I said should've - short for should have.
Him: No, it was definitely 'should of.'
Me: (slightly hysterical) I think I know what I said! I would never say 'should of!' It annoys me when people say 'should of!'
Him: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Vicky2011 Tue 16-Aug-11 11:59:08

Am currently being an utter cow to my 7 yr old who seems to have picked up the dreaded phrase, he absolutely knows how to write it so I'm not worried about that but even saying it is bad enough. Bread and water time, tis the only way grin

LadyThumb Tue 16-Aug-11 12:02:41

"My friend asked if I could borrow her some money." "I asked if I could lend some money off of a friend." AArrrggghhh! Pedants Corner here I come.

knobbysEx Tue 16-Aug-11 12:04:06

I've actually seen "would of, could of" on tv subtitles! Drives me crackers!

Every time my kids seh summat incorrectly ah mek um spell i' out lowd, n thy carn'

TheMonster Tue 16-Aug-11 12:04:37

YANBU. It's nonsense.

Mandy2003 Tue 16-Aug-11 12:20:15

Tomato's and Brockley anyone! grin

DivineInspiration Tue 16-Aug-11 12:22:22

The adverb "only" should immediately precede that word or phrase that it is intended to modify. "Without" is not a possessive and saying that you 'left the house without your umbrella', for example, is poor English. "Synchronise" is not actually a synonym for combine or coordinate. "Ongoing" has a valid stand-alone meaning without being turned into a tautology through use in phrases like 'ongoing situation'. The past participle of “wreak” is “wreaked” and not "wrought". “Wrought” is an archaic past tense of "work".

But the vast majority of people will understand what you mean regardless of whether you make the above howlers because language is fluid and constantly evolving. Same goes for should of/should have; brought/bought; tomayto/tomahto. Don't be afraid to embrace the new, innit! YABU.

EuphemiaMcGonagall Tue 16-Aug-11 12:57:40

I stop reading a post if someone uses incorrect grammar, spelling or punctuation. I just can't be bothered with them. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now