Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Jersey murders: to think the doctors who treated the murderer must feel sick to their stomachs.

(101 Posts)
WonderMa Mon 15-Aug-11 22:44:40

I do not know how they could have treated him knowing what he had done, seeing the other bodies come in.

They should have left him in agony or to bleed to death, then he may have felt something of what his victims, including his own children, felt.

I can't even respect what they did. In their position, I would have downed tools and walked out, fuck my job.

Now he is probably pain free and being guarded in a comfy hospital bed while those 3 kids are laid out in the mortuary. It will later come out that the poor guy was upset that his marriage broke up and that's why he did it and he will spend a few years having all his needs taken care of in a prison and then be let out before he's 50.

Makes me feel so sick. If this is cilivisation, then something's gone wrong somewhere.

2shoes Mon 15-Aug-11 22:45:58

yabu
it is there job, they can't choose who to treat

WonderMa Mon 15-Aug-11 22:46:03

oops civilisation, can't even spell the bloody word let alone understand what it means anymore.

lachesis Mon 15-Aug-11 22:49:25

They were likely not told what he'd done.

justpaddling Mon 15-Aug-11 22:50:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Mon 15-Aug-11 22:51:21

The doctors have a job to do. They may not even have been aware what had happened in full detail, nor the circumstances.

YABU

hester Mon 15-Aug-11 22:52:13

You can't respect what they did? I absolutely respect the fact that doctors and nurses have a professional code of ethics that, by and large, they stick to.

I'm sure it is often very hard for them to treat patients who are scumbags - who have done horrific things, or who racially abuse them or their colleagues. They deserve our respect and support for doing so.

WheelsOnTheBike Mon 15-Aug-11 22:53:35

YABVU

You think civilisation has gone wrong, yet would leave someone to die without knowing the facts, the reason, perhaps the illness, behind it all, or even if he is the guilty party - for all we know he could be another victim, and the story has not emerged fully yet.

HeadfirstForHalos Mon 15-Aug-11 22:55:30

A good doctor will be able to hold back on the emotion to do their job properly. They are there to treat not judge.

What he did was sickening but the doctors did the right thing to treat him proffessionally.

lachesis Mon 15-Aug-11 22:55:50

It actually wasn't known what he'd done when he was brought in.

festi Mon 15-Aug-11 22:56:45

and if he was a woman?? different story and sympathy and empathy. You have no idea what lead this man to do this.

SiamoFottuti Mon 15-Aug-11 22:57:32

YABU, of course. Treating the worst murderer medically exactly the same as anyone else is the very essence of humanity and civilisation.

YAB totally and utterly U.

Bogeyface Mon 15-Aug-11 22:57:40

You dont know that he is the murderer. I dont know if you have heard the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" but that is the basis of law in this country.

Please dont make stupid and ill informed comments.

ChumleeIsMyHomeboy Mon 15-Aug-11 22:58:10

They'd sharp find themselves struck off for refusing to treat someone. They take the Hippocratic Oath for a reason you know!

MrsCarriePooter Mon 15-Aug-11 22:58:56

YABU.

Doctors do their best to save lives. It's not just their job, they take an oath. I think on the balance of your post it's probably just as well you weren't in their position.

On the other hand, doctors are not judge, jury and executioner all rolled into one. I'm sure there are plenty of times inwardly they judge their patients - for being fat, for smoking, for taking illegal drugs - but that doesn't mean they refuse to treat them.

We don't know what his plea will be - he may well plead insanity for example. Do you generally advocate the execution of the mentally ill not in control of their actions?

And anyway if you believe he did this in sound mind - if you want him to suffer, you can rest assured that like all of us he's going to die one day, and it may well be a painful one. In the meantime, he'll have plenty of time to mull over exactly what he did.

I think something's gone wrong when someone kills someone else - it's civilisation not to return to the Old Testament and kill rightbackatcha.

meditrina Mon 15-Aug-11 22:59:17

YABU - it is a basic in medicine that people are treated according to need, and a doctor who did not believe they could do this, irrespective of their personal views needs to leave the profession. (I should imagine many prison doctors, or doctors in hospitals near prisons, have strong feelings about the criminal records of the people in front of them, but they put that to one side and treat the patient).

And our Defence Medical Services treat all patients in front of them - even the enemy. It's the right thing to do in a civilised society.

Humpletumple Mon 15-Aug-11 23:00:29

YABU - and demonstrating what a good job it is that you arn't a doctor!

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 15-Aug-11 23:01:56

if you go into medicine it's not your job to judge.
it's your job to take care of the patient.
If he survives, it's up to the law to punish him. YABU.

shmoz Mon 15-Aug-11 23:04:00

YABVU. And ridiculous.

scottishmummy Mon 15-Aug-11 23:06:47

good grief.doctors and hcp administer treatment,in non judgemental way.to all manner of people.who have been involved in all manner of things
judiciary do fact finding and impose sanctions

of course on a personal level staff have on opinion and emotional reaction.which one knows how to contain and compartmentalise to get immediate job done

thats how in acute general setting you can work through trauma,rta and all sorts.ability to compartmentalise and attend to immediate clinical presentation

the psych team operate in exactly same way. intellect and ability to do job

seeker Mon 15-Aug-11 23:07:30

What a stupid post the OP is. Makes me despair of our civilisation.

WonderMa Mon 15-Aug-11 23:13:07

Have to agree to disagree then.

festi Mon 15-Aug-11 23:14:05

ok off you pop then

LadyWithNoManors Mon 15-Aug-11 23:16:39

dick

festi Mon 15-Aug-11 23:17:03

head

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now