Talk

Advanced search

To think the guy I'm buying a house from is an arse

(21 Posts)
StrawberryGateau Mon 15-Aug-11 22:14:07

I saw him last week (only moving to other end of the road), as we have little furniture he agreed to leave the furniture for us (it's a probate sale) aside from one item he reckoned might get some money on ebay. He said if no interest then it's ours which is fair enough. He OFFERED to leave it when I said we had very little stuff as he was only thinking on ebaying it as it was easier than a succession of dump visits. Quite a long chat saying how nice it is that's it's going to a young family etc.

I found the item on ebay as I quite liked it and I'd bid for it. He's put ALL the furniture on there after saying he'd leave it. Already sold a pair of wardrobes for £6! Getting very very little for it.

AIBU for thinking it's money-grabbing at such a petty level. He offered it to me, I'd pay him if he's hard up but as he owns a large house and he pushed me right up to the generous asking price on the sale I think he's out of order trying to squeeze another £20-30 when he knows how much we need furniture.

I can't just knock on the door and offer the bloody cash as he doesn't live there (probate) and the auctions end tomorrow.

belledechocchipcookie Mon 15-Aug-11 22:16:49

Unless it's in the house sale contract then he can do what he wants with it. He sounds like an arse though. Ikea have very cheap furniture.

justpaddling Mon 15-Aug-11 22:17:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StrawberryGateau Mon 15-Aug-11 22:17:52

I know he can do as he wishes, just seems like arsey behaviour.

StrawberryGateau Mon 15-Aug-11 22:19:47

The sale/ contract was done ages ago. He offered after exchange days before we get the keys as we met in the street outside. I know it's legal but it got my hopes up.

whackamole Mon 15-Aug-11 22:20:00

Yeah he sounds like a knob.

When we moved into our house, the previous owners left all the white goods and cooker etc (all agreed). Not quite the same but it would have been nice not to have had to scrape about 14 layers of grease off the grill tray before I used it hmm. Or to have found they had ruined the carpets when moving out.

Rhinestone Mon 15-Aug-11 22:20:20

Not really arsy, he simply changed his mind. Maybe you should have insisted on offering him some money for it all?

The bottom line is it's his; not yours.

StrawberryGateau Mon 15-Aug-11 22:23:02

I offered money, he said no as it's nigh on worthless, hence getting £2.60 for dining room table.

StrawberryGateau Mon 15-Aug-11 22:26:03

He looks like he's stripping it in general, bannister rail and light fitting in front garden too by bin (hideous and unmissed). Weirdo

LolaRennt Mon 15-Aug-11 22:29:08

so bid on it?

thebeansmum Mon 15-Aug-11 22:33:36

Smacks of tightwad-tightarse to me, too. It would have been a ball-ache for him to take it all to the tip, the fact that you have shown even a passing interest in his stuff suggests he may have gone home, thought about it, and reckoned he could do better than give it to you, who clearly could do with it.

Unless you are really desperate (buy some other stuff from ebay or charity stores, anything but take his stuff) I would insist he took everything away with him as you won't be needing it. Honestly, I would. He'll be sooo pissed off. He'll be forced to hire a skip or do umpteen trips to the tip. How dare he try and sell furniture for pennies and leave the shit that doesn't sell for you!!!

TeamEdward Mon 15-Aug-11 22:34:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rhinestone Mon 15-Aug-11 22:35:39

Hmm, removing the bannister rail sounds v dodgy. That's normally considered part of the house infrastructure.

You might want to check your papers from your solicitor - the one that lists simply everything that is considered part of the house.

Rhinestone Mon 15-Aug-11 22:35:51

X Post!

TheRealMBJ Mon 15-Aug-11 22:42:22

We had this. sad The seller agreed verbally that they would leave all the furniture and garden tools in the shed etc, etc, but in the end they had the sale rooms come in a clear out the house leaving only a few unsellable items.

But we had nothing on paper. So, no recourse.

ourgirlinhavana Mon 15-Aug-11 22:45:26

If the furniture's going for next to nothing, bid on it. Easy!

kittensliveupstairs Tue 16-Aug-11 07:20:35

Not sure, we moved into our house a month or so ago. The previous owners or tenants (not sure which) had left a hoover that didn't work, a bed that is unsleepable in and a fugly wardrobe.
Me and DH had to take them to the tip ourselves.

DoingTheBestICan Tue 16-Aug-11 08:09:26

I would do as someone else has already said & insist he take everythign away from the house.

He sounds like a right tightarse.

We had this in our house now,elderly couple selling it to move far away to by their daughter,the son who lives round the corner came round & took the garden shed,beautiful bird bath & table & a lovely arm chair they had promised to leave.

They did helpfully leave a knakered sideboard that leant to the left literally!

I wouldnt mind but the same son came round a couple of weeks later & tried to barge his way in 'collecting' their post,he had not helped out in anyway & he was the reason the old couple were moving,i told him he had no right to be in our home & i would forward any post on,we havent seen him since.

ShoutyHamster Tue 16-Aug-11 08:10:37

Bid on it, you still get your house furnished ultra cheap - when you buy furniture on ebay the main cost is pickup/courier!

Plus you get to embarass him nicely - and you could point out cheerily that had he come back to you, you could have saved him the listing fees, the trouble, AND would have given him a bit more cash for it all

Then once he's gone make sure you make a little plasticene 'Arse Man' effigy of him, and have it sitting there as a good luck charm for your first few days moving in grin

ShoutyHamster Tue 16-Aug-11 08:12:04

Oh and by the way he can't remove the bannister rail - you can demand he replace and make good any damage.

BiscuitNibbler Tue 16-Aug-11 08:13:38

I'd make him empty the house completely, but I'm a bit vindictive.

However, it may be that he isn't the sole beneficiary and he is being forced to do this. An elderly relative of mine left money split equally between various relatives and one charity. The charity insisted that everything had to go to auction rather than allowing us to value everything and select items according to our share.

We ended up having to bid at auction for sentimental family items. However it also meant that the piles of tat accumulated over the years was also sent to auction, and we were unable to leave any items in the house in which the new owner had expressed an interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now