Talk

Advanced search

To not tell anyone I've been diagnosed with PTSD...

(11 Posts)
weedinthepool Mon 15-Aug-11 18:48:18

...including my DH and parents?

I'm a regular but have namechanged just in case RL is watching. My health visitor saw me at clinic when weighing my newborn DD (DC3) and asked the Dr to speak to me as I was having some weird symptoms - startling very easily at any loud noise, weird dreams, difficulty sleeping and uncharacteristic anger & irritability. I've also noticed I've started 'chanting' to myself when doing things and DH mentioned that I've been worrying about the dc's health ALOT. I had a traumatic pregnancy - DD was a twin but I lost one at 11 weeks and I had severe hyperemesis throughout, lost loads of weight, had to be on meds throughout, hospitilised etc.

Doctor has said I'm showing all signs of PTSD (I know very little about it) I had a major traumatic event when I was 3 years old and it seems my pregnancy has triggered this reaction. I go on Wednesday to find out about treatment as Dr wanted to do more research.

I don't think I'm going to tell anyone because I think their reacions will add to my issues. Pretty sure dh will think a diagnosis is silly in some way and will object to meds because I'm bf. My parents (especially my mum) will worry and interfere (i've had mental health probs in the past). Aibu? Will it hinder my recovery not to tell them, pretty stressed that my marriage will suffer if I keep it all a secret. Any advice/comments would help.

Thanks.

Rhinestone Mon 15-Aug-11 18:51:46

You have a right to medical confidentiality and you don't have to tell anyone anything. So YADNBU.

But...it's sad that you don't feel able to tell your DH. Why will he think diagnosis is silly? Sorry - I don't doubt your take on his reaction, you obviously know him! Just curious why he would react like that when he should be supporting you.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 15-Aug-11 18:51:50

unless i have read it wrong, wtf has it got tot do with your husband if you take meds or not.

but i would tell your Husband, he is there to support you not mock the illness you have....but nobody else needs to know unless you want them to know

LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Mon 15-Aug-11 18:52:16

A GP won't diagnose PTSD, a psychiatrist may. They, or a psychotherapist, will discuss with you implications of treatment, including whether they think it is a good idea to tell other people. Personally, I think honesty is the best way, especially with your DH.

I was treated for PTSD. (DTD1 stillborn, DTD2 prem). Instead of CBT, I had EMDR. It was very helpful. Good luck. smile

pointythings Mon 15-Aug-11 18:55:04

Hi pool,

If you have good reasons to believe that your family are going to be unsupportive and you think you are going to get the right help from the professionals then fair enough. On the other hand if you get worse, or if the treatment you will (I sincerely hope) get makes keeping it a secret hard, you may be better off telling at least your DH. Would it be possible to tell him in the presence of someone you do trust to be supportive, if there is such a person?

With your history and your situation your GP can't afford to hang about - it's good that he/she is doing the research, but there has to be action coming out of it - you need and deserve help.

BTW there are meds you can take whilst bf, your GP and/or psychiatrist may not be as aware as they should be, but it's worth doing a bit of research online on the subject.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 15-Aug-11 19:02:21

when i was BF i was prescribed Zoloft

smoggii Mon 15-Aug-11 20:46:00

My heart goes out to you. I also had PTSD following the birth of my little one and had some fantastic support from my health trust, so much so that I have managed to get by without meds. I couldn't have done it without the support of my DH but it took me months to tell anyone else and I will probably never tell my colleagues (My MH, my choice) but it is your call.

Please check out our website www.birthtraumaptsd.com we are trying to raise the profile because this is more common than many realise x

weedinthepool Mon 15-Aug-11 21:19:14

Thanks everyone. Don't think DH will be unsupportive more a bit hmm that a pregnancy trauma can trigger this. I was shocked when Dr mentioned. Loopy - So sorry for your twin loss sad. Will GP refer to psych? Bit worried about that as it will make it more diff to keep to myself.

Auntie - he's funny when it comes to meds. Doesn't like them. Will google Zoloft now.

smoggii - Thanks for that link. Will take a look, certainly felt isolated & alone so good to hear others out there.

shakey1500 Mon 15-Aug-11 21:25:56

YANBU if you think you can deal with it yourself. I'm of the same ilk, nigh on 99% sure I had PND (possibly even PTSD having also had a traumatic birth. 4th degree tear etc) but also because of previous MH issues and issues with meds, I saw little point in going to GP, didn't want to worry my family (again) and on the back of I'd managed, finally, to deal with my previous MH issues on my own, was pretty confident I could muddle through.

All the very best to you.

smoggii Mon 15-Aug-11 21:28:30

My GP referred to perinatal mental health nurses who normally treat PND but they are seeing a rise in women with PTSD rather than PND (they were lovely) It stands to reason when you think about it. So many women would have died in childbirth if it weren't for medical advances but those advances can lead to traumatic birth experiences and some people who experience trauma (from any source) also experience PTSD. There was a really good piece about it a couple of months ago in the FeMAIL section of the Daily Mail, you might be able to find it on their website.

Leroy07 Sat 18-Jun-16 20:00:15

I would just like to let people know that Zoloft, i am sure has made some people feel better that really needed the medication.

I suffer with performance anxiety and have twice now tried to resolve it using Prozac and Zoloft. Both times i have apent 6 weeks waiting for a miracle and in fact i have wasted 12 weeks of my life in total. I dont care what anyone says, these drugs are really really dangerous. I have been a zombie and trapped in my own mind both times, not to mention other side effects. Low sex drive, lethargy, zombie, anxiety increased x10, detached... Do i go on?.

I have read peoples posts on her stating they are in week 4,5 or even 6 waiting for the miracle. My advice at that point is unless you cannot function do not even start this mind field.

I have stopped taking it today and for the first time tonight i understand who i am, what i am and what life is really all about.

I am so sad that i have watched another 6 weeks pass in emotional/ physical pain.

Doctors hand them out like smarties and have no idea what they are doing to people that may just need some support, lifestyle changes or a wake up call.

Never will i look at this for help again. My poor brain and body. Oh and my poor family, that have watched me get worse and detach from the life i had before this crap.

Also i feel really sorry for all the people waiting in hope for a miracle. Dont do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now