Talk

Advanced search

to think its a bit bloody rich to complain about immigrants...

(10 Posts)
QueenOfFeckingEverything Mon 15-Aug-11 16:04:01

...moan that the Govt is 'not doing enough to keep Britain British', bitch that 'they take our jobs' yada yada yada.

And then proudly announce that you are emigrating to another continent as your DH has found a better job there than he could get in the UK!

Racist and hypocritical hmm

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 15-Aug-11 16:10:16

We have met a family in Canada who emigrated from the UK "because of all the immigrants". I'm sure that's not what they put on their forms. The woman I was with challenged them (very nicely grin)

Gonzo33 Mon 15-Aug-11 16:10:21

I have to be honest I have absolutely no problem with immigrants, especially the working and the skilled kind. If they come to UK to live off of us, well that is another matter - but from recent reading I understand it is not as easy as the tabloids make out.

I will also say though that if we can move to Canada when hubby has finished working where he is we will. The only reason I want to is for my children and the lifestyle we will be able to afford them.

I am not going to say that we will have better jobs, but we will be better off financially for the move, and in a family time way too.

jeckadeck Mon 15-Aug-11 16:12:01

most of the carping about immigrants in popular discourse is racist and hypocritical. The people who bang on about how disgraceful it is that Poles are "taking our jobs" (the ones you didn't want to do) never have a problem with the fact that London is teeming with Yanks, Aussies, Italians, French etc, all of whom are doing much more attractive jobs. There are some areas where arguably immigration has created social problems and certainly multiculturalism hasn't been an unalloyed success. But the people causing all the problems last week weren't immigrants, that's for sure... they were largely indigenous Brits with some second or third generation afro-caribbeans. But why let facts get in the way of a good whinge about immigration.

QueenOfFeckingEverything Mon 15-Aug-11 16:13:57

Oh I have no issue with people emigrating if they feel it offers them better opportunities.

I just have a problem with people who think they should be able to do it but complain incessantly about anyone else doing exactly the same thing...

Shitter Mon 15-Aug-11 16:17:28

The poles are some of the most hard working people you can get. If you employ them for building jobs etc. They will be there at the crack of dawn and not stop work until dark, 7 days a week if necessary.

They are extremely grateful to be working.

Obviously this is not in every single case, but certainly the majority.

Unfortunately here the british workers, start several jobs at once, turn up one day do a few hours then disappear for a couple of days to do another job. They like a lot of tea breaks too grin

Not in every single case but very often.

I know which I would prefer to employ.

reelingintheyears Mon 15-Aug-11 18:47:59

SIL and her family emigrated to Australia a few years ago.
Their FB posts often complain about immigrants.

To be fair,they're not very bright..

Illegitimate Mon 15-Aug-11 18:51:15

Ah you should meet my grandmother in law she calls immigrants breaking Britain, conveniently forgetting that her parents came over from Germany and that she lived off benefits for pretty much all her adult life.

CurlyBoy Mon 15-Aug-11 18:52:35

I am an immigrant to the UK. Most of those that complain about immigrants think I'm "ok" because I'm white and speak english. I moved here from Chicago 9 years ago and am now a citizen. I've worked and paid my taxes and have claimed no benefits until recently because I was made redundant. My standard of living is much better here. I never would have been able to travel to the far east or own a holiday home when I lived in the States. When I lived there I had no problem with legal immigration and still don't. I have a very serious problem with illegal immigration though. Anyone caught doing that should be sent back on the next plane home!

janelikesjam Mon 15-Aug-11 18:55:08

I do know a white working class man who wanted to emigrate to France. But he was aware that he might be taking their jobs and the locals might not be too happy about it, and on balance he decided not to. Not everybody is a hypocrit! I also think the problem is not immigration per se, but mass immigration, which is an entirely different kettle of fish - and is understandably unwelcome to the people already settled; its got nothing to do with racism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now