Talk

Advanced search

Wasps - AIBU?

(23 Posts)
thatsenough Mon 15-Aug-11 14:03:05

Three weeks ago we told our neighbours about a nest in the eaves of their extension.

They offered to treat it the next day and then said they were checking with their insurers. So far they have done nothing.

I do not want to get into any kind of dispute with them (IMO if they were going to sort it they would have do so by now) however the extension backs on to our back garden and it is now too unsafe to let our children play out there, fortunately we have a biggish front and side garden, but children being children they want to play in the back (which is the safest place for DS3).

I have asked DH to sort it out, but thinks we should leave it alone and eventually the neigbours will deal with it.

AIBU to expect DH to spray the neat or should i just do it myself?

worraliberty Mon 15-Aug-11 14:04:26

What's wrong with asking the neighbours to update you on what's happening?

Mitmoo Mon 15-Aug-11 14:07:21

TOO right they should sort it, it can be expensive though and doubt the insurers would cover it. Go and talk to them again.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 15-Aug-11 14:18:58

Council pest control will come out for wasps. It's not an insurance matter. They could even deal with it themselves if they're hard up. I'd ask them again, explain that your children can't play out etc. Doesn't have to get nasty. Turn up the pressure because expecting people to do the right thing often leads to disappointment.

thatsenough Mon 15-Aug-11 14:23:03

In all honesty I am a wimp, we have asked once and they have done nothing. They have had lots of work done on their house this year and I am wondering if the money isn't available?

We have had success on small nests with gels and sprays, but did spend a fortune once on a nest in our roof (the perils of living in a damp woody area).
I think I will ask for an update and if I feel I am being fobbed off then I will do it myself. We will being having a christening in a month (DS3 is nearly 2 - I really should have had it sooner) and I want the children to play outside if possible, so it needs sorting before then.

eosmum Mon 15-Aug-11 14:25:13

I did one in our garden myself last week. Got the stuff in hardware shop, about a fiver, waited until it was dark, put on a coat with a hood and sprayed. Done and dusted in a couple of minutes.

PercyFilth Mon 15-Aug-11 14:25:55

Council pest control will come out for wasps Not necessarily - ours don't, they just refer you to commercial companies.

We had a wasp nest done a couple of months back , it was £50. (Would have been £55 to £60 had it been above ground floor level.) We weren't actually that worried about the wasps themselves - if you don't bother them they normally won't bother you - but the position of the nest was very inconvenient so had to get it dealt with.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 15-Aug-11 14:26:26

The council will clear a wasps' nest for £50 or so. Even if they've had a lot of work done on their home, I can't see that breaking the bank.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 15-Aug-11 14:27:23

(Or council-nominated pest control company... )

crystalglasses Mon 15-Aug-11 14:30:06

Your neighbours aren't under any obligation to do anything so if it worries you more than them, could you offer to pay? Or pay half?

Wasps are probably at their most vicious right now but I think that they all die off by the end of September.

thatsenough Mon 15-Aug-11 14:31:33

This nest is in the eaves of the extension, so would require a dodgy pitch over my much loved magnolia.

I only opened the back door for a few minutes to feed the guinea pigs earlier and there was already one in the conservatory!

Only £50 - the one in our roof was £300 and that was the cheapest of several quotes!

thatsenough Mon 15-Aug-11 14:32:42

Crystalglasses - I quite agree which is why I asked DH to do it!

scarletfingernail Mon 15-Aug-11 14:33:42

Our council got rid of ours for £55. We did have to wait a fortnight though as they were so busy.

Maybe your neighbours are in the same position, but you won't know unless you ask. It is ok to ask them for an update, it doesn't have to be confrontational.

YANBU to ask them if they've investigated getting rid of it yet. YABU to prevent your children from playing outside because you are too wimpy (your word) to speak to check.

sausagesandmarmelade Mon 15-Aug-11 14:38:27

Definitely not an insurance matter, and I'm not sure that they are obliged to deal with the nest.

Perhaps you could offer to pay half?

TattyDevine Mon 15-Aug-11 15:05:27

Agree they are not obliged. Are they really that bad? My lot tend to just ignore them and I've taught them not to flap, but easier said than done I guess in some cases?

ragged Mon 15-Aug-11 15:10:05

I'm with you Tatty, we had a nest in the ground of the back garden last year; we decided to leave it alone for env. benefits. Our Children regularly playing sword sticks or kicking footballs nearby & it was not a huge problem. Yes 2 of DC got stung once, but that was in the space of about 2 months and no great trauma either time. But depends how persistent they are for OP, if they come in house, or if allergies involved, etc. I would have thought a nest high above the ground (in eaves of neighbour house) would post no worse than background risk of wasps turning up anywhere.

hellymelly Mon 15-Aug-11 15:19:50

these are great for getting rid of wasps at this time of year,www.waspbane.com/thetrap.asp Mine had only a few in it until this week and now has over 100,as the polleny plants they liked in my garden die back.(I have a wasp sting allergy so have to get rid of them when we can).

TheMonster Mon 15-Aug-11 15:21:45

Do try the council. We had one removed for free by the council a few years back.

thatsenough Mon 15-Aug-11 15:28:09

Our neighbours are perfectly nice people, our houses are detached and off-set so we rarely see each other, but I know that I could rely on them in an emergency if that makes sense?

I still feel that if they were going to do something then they would have, so feel a bit awkward asking - I am considered a bit of an alpha female at work, so I really don't know why I so rubbish when it comes to everyday life?

I wouldn't be bothered about the wasps if there wasn't so bloody many of them - no allergies, but after being stung a few times DS1 is scared. I'm sure that if we took food outside they would be all over it and I would like to use the lovely table I got last year!

thatsenough Mon 15-Aug-11 15:32:11

To clarify the extension runs along our boundary wall and although a couple of metres up it is only a few metres from where the children play. And did I mention - there are loads of them!

Thank you hellymelly I'll have a look at your link. I seem to remember the council having a long wait last time, but it might be worth contacting them?

Andrewofgg Mon 15-Aug-11 15:33:54

YANBU and TNS - insurance won't cover it and if council won't, and many won't, they must put their hands in their own pockets.

PercyFilth Mon 15-Aug-11 16:44:57

they must put their hands in their own pockets

hmm Not sure that they 'must'.

BigHairyGruffalo Mon 15-Aug-11 17:35:34

I think if you really want it gone and they aren't bothered then you will just have to offer to pay for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now