Talk

Advanced search

to feel this has gone too far now! (DM alert)

(14 Posts)
StrandedBear Mon 15-Aug-11 10:50:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tanif Mon 15-Aug-11 10:52:58

Surely it's easily resolved if she just kicks him out? That's probably a clause of the eviction but the DM do like to dress everything up to sound worse than it is...

MrsFlittersnoop Mon 15-Aug-11 10:53:26

Hi StrandedBear, I totally agree!

There is a lively Mumsnet debate on the subject already taking place HERE if you'd like to join in!

timidviper Mon 15-Aug-11 10:55:04

There are several other threads on this already and very mixed opinions from those on them.

Some interesting info (although I stress I can't verify it) is that there is a large amount of arrears owed on the rent so the council may have more reasons than this for eviction.

This morning the mother is featured in the DM claiming the police have breached her son's human rights hmm so maybe (if this is reported correctly) we can see where the son gets his attitudes and respect for society from.

CubiksRube Mon 15-Aug-11 10:55:06

YANBU - you are quite right.

I spoke with my mother about this yesterday, and she said there was no way she could have forcibly kept me inside at 18, let alone a young man who may well have been taller and bigger than her.

At 18, this boy is technically an adult and HE should be the one who is punished, rather than his family. His crime; his responsibility - HE should be evicted and not allowed to visit the street on which the house is located.

squeakytoy Mon 15-Aug-11 10:56:55

I read that, and to be quite honest, that mother is either in denial about her son, or is trying to make excuses for him. sad

caramelwaffle Mon 15-Aug-11 10:57:48

Perhaps the full facts of the case have not been reported; there is for example, the fact that she is apparently almost £2000 in rent arrears.

I heard suggested on the radio that she be swapped from a two bedroom to a one bedroom apartment. The son therefore has no part in the new tenancy.

It was my understanding from what has been reported that the tenancy states no adult living in the accommodation should be convicted of crimes related to anti social behaviour (?)

MrsFlittersnoop Mon 15-Aug-11 11:06:00

If the council have other reasons for evicting this woman then that is an entirely separate issue.

But we CANNOT have a 2-tier legal system which:

a) punishes adults and children who are completely innocent of any crime, just because they are poor, or:

b) treats 2 individuals convicted of the same crime differently, just because one is richer (or comes from a richer family) than the other.

How can we possibly justify one law for the criminal rich and another (much harsher one) for the criminal poor which also punishes their innocent FAMILIES?

carben Mon 15-Aug-11 11:09:22

But (a) he's not yet been convicted and (b) if he is convicted he will be punished by the court. What law says that he and his family should be punished twice. An 18 year old living with his owner-occupier parents will not be punished twice and neither will his family. It treats people with the least twice as hard as the more well-off and then we expect them to be fully paid up members of society. Something is broken but it appears to be any sign of fairness and alongside that a nasty thirst for revenge.

LadyThumb Mon 15-Aug-11 11:10:11

She is in arrears, and it is a Clause in her Tenancy Agreement - nothing to do with the Government cracking down. If she chooses to have her adult son with her, and he is convicted of criminal activity, then the Council/HA can enforce her Tenancy Agreement.

troisgarcons Mon 15-Aug-11 11:11:59

She will be roused because of the 8yo child.

herbietea Mon 15-Aug-11 11:12:16

Message withdrawn

meditrina Mon 15-Aug-11 11:38:38

There have already been a couple of quite lively threads on this.

We do not know the full facts if this case - it is notable that despite Wandsworth actually being the scene of disturbances, there has only been one eviction case brought forward (so far - agree this is worth keeping an eye on). It does not appear (as yet) to be used for everyone convicted for any offence last week.

We do not know the background if the family (I think rent arrears are irrelevant, but there may be other issues), the alleged offences (yet to be heard in a higher court) include violent disturbance, and we do not know how close to their home the alleged offences took place. All of these will be factors in deciding if the use of the good behaviour clause is indeed reasonable, and the county court will decide whether or not an eviction can go ahead.

Mandy2003 Mon 15-Aug-11 11:44:07

I read that she was about £1,500 in rent arrears already. No doubt this has been caused by the inefficiency of her council's housing benefit department not paying the rent to the housing department.

When this happened years ago in Islington the courts refused to hear any council eviction proceedings in protest at the inefficiency that had caused the arrears (I think this has been mentioned on MN before).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now