Talk

Advanced search

to not understand how parents can complain about their kids being bored

(69 Posts)
gailpottertilsleyplatt Sun 14-Aug-11 22:37:38

I've read a few threads where MNetters are complaining about their kids whinging about being bored. How can they be bored?? Most have access to

TVs, DVDs, playstations, computers, books, magazines, paints, craft materials, sports equipment, toys, friends, pools, parks ... you get the idea.

So why do you tolerate them saying that they're bored? Why keep scheduling their entire holiday time? Why do you think you have to be their entertainment managers?

Plonker Sun 14-Aug-11 22:40:02

Only boring people get bored

That's my line to dd when she complains for the millionth time that she's bored

plonker mine come back at me with "yes i'm boring but i'm still bored and need something to do"

Little shits.

meditrina Sun 14-Aug-11 22:41:27

I usually answer "well go and tidy your bedroom then". Works wonders. Every time.

2shoes Sun 14-Aug-11 22:42:43

YABU
my dd gets bored, but maybe that is cos she can't do or use any ofthe things you suggest

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Sun 14-Aug-11 22:44:46

Plonker - exactly. My mother always used to say "Only boring people get bored" - and I repeat it, boringly, to my DD grin.

Jajas Sun 14-Aug-11 22:46:27

MIne get bored and I don't schedule their entire holiday time hmm. Children get bored, always have done, always will do.

What do you mean why do we 'tolerate' them saying it? What exactly should we do? Tar and feather them for daring to whinge a bit (tempting occasionally but might attract the attention of ss).

Are you being just a teeny bit smug OP and possibly about to claim that your dc's are never bored and that the spend the whole holiday being creative and accomplished?

Jajas Sun 14-Aug-11 22:47:09

cos if so then yes you are being unreasonable

Bunbaker Sun 14-Aug-11 22:50:22

"What do you mean why do we 'tolerate' them saying it? What exactly should we do? Tar and feather them for daring to whinge a bit (tempting occasionally but might attract the attention of ss).

Are you being just a teeny bit smug OP and possibly about to claim that your dc's are never bored and that the spend the whole holiday being creative and accomplished?"

I had to laugh. DD is an only child and can't always have someone to play with. She will amuse herself for so long and then complains she is bored. I used to get bored during school holidays 40 years ago, that's what children do. I don't believe anyone who says their child never ever gets bored.

thefirstMrsDeVere Sun 14-Aug-11 22:52:08

My DS is always bored. Nothing ever satisfies him. He could spend the day at the circus, go swimming with dolphins, round off the night with a fireworks display and he would get home and say 'can we do something?'

I dont understand the 'only boring people get bored'. There are loads of threads on internet forums about how overly bright children get bored easily.

How come its seen as a virtue in some kids and not in others?

TheFlyingOnion Sun 14-Aug-11 22:52:52

Boredom is good for children; it breeds creativity and imagination...

Jajas Sun 14-Aug-11 22:53:39

It's all spin MrsDV grin!

gailpottertilsleyplatt Sun 14-Aug-11 22:55:03

hmm back at you, Jajas. No, I'm not being smug but DD does know not to tell me she's bored because I won't jump to attention. She'll get on with something even if it's watching YouTube, practising cartwheels, painting another ruddy flower picture or daydreaming and then the boredom passes. Try it with your kids.

I agree with the sentiment that bordem is good for the soul grin it breeds creativity, and sadly, mess.

Jajas Sun 14-Aug-11 22:58:09

You are not being smug? Cartwheels my arse

TheFlyingOnion Sun 14-Aug-11 22:58:42

Aha and here is the parenting advice.... Thanks so much op smile

gailpottertilsleyplatt Sun 14-Aug-11 23:01:13

You're welcome, Flying O smile

What's so smug about cartwheels? She's 6 and a half, it's what they do!

A1980 Sun 14-Aug-11 23:01:19

As someone else said: tell them to tidy their room. As sson as they say thier bored, get them to help you with domestic chores. Surely they'll stop grin

Jajas Sun 14-Aug-11 23:03:05

Oh and patronising too 'try it with your kids'

Peachy Sun 14-Aug-11 23:03:24

DS2 is bored becuase his friends are away and I can't take him to the aprk with his sn siblings

DS1 is bored becuase he has sn and no friends (starts snu in September so hopefully might change) and is not allowed to go out alone due to his SN

ds3 is not bored as he adors his playscheme (inclusive, sn and nt mixed: a great place) and ds4 is too little to be bored.

TV is boring, and mine don;t ahve imagination as a diagnostic criteria! DS1 is creative (makes beautiful jewellery) but, I think, lonely.

Although 'I'm bored' gets met with 'tidy your room then' so no pandering here!

gailpottertilsleyplatt Sun 14-Aug-11 23:04:51

You really should try it, Jajas. I don't understand people wishing their kids' holidays away. Next they'll be whinging about Christmas ...

magicmummy1 Sun 14-Aug-11 23:05:27

When does the boredom thing kick in, usually? My dd is six, and an only child, but I have never actually heard her complain of boredom. I don't organise that much stuff for her and she doesn't have loads of gadgets to play with - just toys and books, and the odd bit of tv. she us more than happy to entertain herself most of the time.

Are we just incredibly lucky because she is some kind of freak or do we have all this to look forward to when she is older?

Peachy Sun 14-Aug-11 23:05:39

Oh and ds1 is bored becuase he is a pre teen and heading towards puberty

NOTHING I can do will be interesting

That's just how it is. In an NT kids I would say bugger off with some friends. Ho hum.

TalesOfTheUnexpected Sun 14-Aug-11 23:06:10

OP - your post came over a bit confrontational, but meh! It's a Sunday evening so what the hell.

In a way I agree. I'm so tired of hearing "what are we doing today Mummy?" as soon as the curtains are opened at 7am.

I don't really tolerate them saying they are bored, and I am not their amusement manager. I do use the saying "only the boring are bored" after swearing I NEVER, EVER would because my parents used it at me.

I try to find a balance. Plan days ahead. Some days we are going somewhere or doing something. Some days, we're having inside and quiet times. I find once they have a idea of what the day will entail (whether it be going somewhere or not), they just get on with it and are relatively happy.

Jajas Sun 14-Aug-11 23:07:56

Where did I say that I wish the holidays away? They say they are bored every now and then and I ignore it, they mooch off and find something to do. It's no great hardship and doesn't bother me at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now