Talk

Advanced search

to be roll-eyed at showeryoffy parenting?

(79 Posts)
ChaosTrulyReigns Sun 14-Aug-11 20:56:37

DD, show Auntie Chaos your Irish sancing.

[grr]

DD, Show ChaoticBoy's mom how you can count to 37 in Spanish.

[doublegrr]

DS, show Chaos how you can skateboard form one end of the 2metre patio to the other.

[thricegrr]

Now I have a very WiseAndAppreciativeFace that I use for these instances, but my inside face is very hmm.

Anyone else just feel they are an audience?

worraliberty Sun 14-Aug-11 20:58:14

I think it's nice when parents are proud of their kids.

As long as the kids are happy to do what they're asked, what's the problem?

DeepPurple Sun 14-Aug-11 20:59:12

What's Irish sancing? confused

DeepPurple Sun 14-Aug-11 20:59:41

grin

GingerWrath Sun 14-Aug-11 21:00:03

I would be confused but then again dd 's (5yo) fave new party trick is 'pull my finger' before farting loudly! blush

JacksonPollocks Sun 14-Aug-11 21:01:10

I think it's far sadder when kids get no praise. As a rule I think kids should be taught to show off a bit and develop a good sense of self-worth (bar that 1 in 100 brat you want to take down a peg) I quite like doing the over the top praise for children, you can lay it on well thick!

hiddenhome Sun 14-Aug-11 21:02:46

The only time I don't like showoffyparenting is when they turn it into a competition between their kid and yours hmm I dumped a 'friend' because of this as I was totally sick of her going on and on and on and on about the stuff her kid could supposedly do: potty trained at two, knew the entire alphabet at 2, could dress/undress himself........at, you've guessed it, 2 hmm I don't think so love hmm

My kids were vastly superior to hers anyway, but I was too polite to say anything grin

Hassled Sun 14-Aug-11 21:02:53

I was all smug today when DS3 said "gracias" when my friend gave him some juice (we're just back from Spain). Friend thought he said "Christ, yes" grin.

<irrelevant post re the dangers of show-off parenting>

Takitezee Sun 14-Aug-11 21:03:41

My kids can armpit fart, I love to show that off.

KatieMiddleton Sun 14-Aug-11 21:04:32

YANBU. And I suspect all who disagree are the loud pushy kind as described in OP.

ChaosTrulyReigns Sun 14-Aug-11 21:04:41

worra how are you always first to post on AIBUs?

Have you a special bell?

DeepPurple Sun 14-Aug-11 21:04:57

Every year my cousins used to be looked after by my mum during the summer holidays. There were four of us in total. We used to spend the whole six weeks putting together a "show" then would make all our parents sit and watch it at the end of the holiday grin

We also used to make bookmarks and sell them to parents / aunties / grandparents. We used to collect the money for charity but thinking back now I bet my cousin pocketed it angry

IAmTheCookieMonster Sun 14-Aug-11 21:08:23

I think children hate it too, my mum was always "play them a tune" and the audience were always clearly as delighted as I was.

ChaosTrulyReigns Sun 14-Aug-11 21:16:41

I do think it has its place, showcasing the talents of Dc.

But when it's incessant and the DC obviously would not, it's just unnecessary.

And, yes, sometimes it can be a contest - "My DC are considerably more talented than yours" sort of wankfluttery.

TrillianAstra Sun 14-Aug-11 21:17:16

booooooring

Why would I want to hear someone count to 37 in Spanish?

And what's so hard about 38, 39, and 40? Make it around number at least.

worraliberty Sun 14-Aug-11 21:19:35

worra how are you always first to post on AIBUs?

Have you a special bell?

I'm not always first and I don't have a bell, I'm just able to type grin

latermater Sun 14-Aug-11 21:23:20

Makes me think of Mr Bennett's deathless line in Pride and Prejudice to one of his daughters as she bashes out a tune: "you have delighted us enough".

ChaosTrulyReigns Sun 14-Aug-11 21:24:33

boooooring?

The thread?

Or watching performing children?

[worried]

TrillianAstra Sun 14-Aug-11 21:27:11

Watching performing children, especially if the "performance" is counting

MightyQuim Sun 14-Aug-11 21:27:55

DD is bright and whenever we got to see DM when her FIL is there she's constantly coaxing her to read, do sums etc to show off. FIL was a headmaster before he retired so I assume she thinks he will be impressed. DD likes doing stuff like that in her own time but refuses to perform much to my mums annoyance. She literally barks sums at her and stuff. I just sit back and chuckle to myself while dd ignores her.

LittlebearH Sun 14-Aug-11 21:28:39

I cannot help asking my 18mo to say "Tortoise"," Tiger" and about 20 other words when around other people. Or walk on tippy toes, do a jump etc. Is that annoying? Am I expecting my child to perform? She is my PFB and she seems to love to oblige. Have wondered if I may be a tad annoying?

Anyone confirm this? It is soooo cute though. blush

NorksAreMessy Sun 14-Aug-11 21:28:41

Wankfluttery is now my officially most favourite word. Thanks

I cannot bear showing off of any type and had to stop going to the DCs concerts as the smug looks on the faces of the soloists' mothers used to make my teeth grind louder than the bassoon.

StrandedBear Sun 14-Aug-11 21:29:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NorksAreMessy Sun 14-Aug-11 21:30:18

But I am stupidly proud of my DCs talents and show off about them endlessly to my DM who then shows off about them to her friends.

I take it that doesn't count as they are her genetic whatnot?

BibiBlocksberg Sun 14-Aug-11 21:30:28

Def. the thread wink

<runs for cover, counts to 40 in spanish>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now