Talk

Advanced search

to not want to transfer this money without a guarentee of the item?

(25 Posts)
stoppinchingthedummy Sun 14-Aug-11 20:41:03

Well i was watching an item i really want on ebay. Bidding ended and it didnt sell so i contacted the seller and he is happy for me to buy the item at the price it was listed. Ok so i need a couriour to get it to me as i live a fair way away and as i have never done anything like this before it was confusing so i asked him to sort it and he was fine with this.

Ok so today i contact him saying ill transfer cash once i have a tracking number,seller wont organise courior without all the cash ...I dont want to transfer all the cash incase i dont recieve the item so i said ill transfer half now and the rest once i have a tracking number. Seller is now saying "fine sort couriour yourself i was being helpful"

Aibu to not want to transfer all this money upfront (£20)?

TrillianAstra Sun 14-Aug-11 20:44:46

If you are buying outside of ebay you have no protection, and neither does the seller.

From their point of view - would you send something to a stranger before getting any money from them?

It would be best for both of you if they relisted as a "buy it now" with the price you have agreed and sent you the link so you could buy it.

FabbyChic Sun 14-Aug-11 20:45:00

YOu cannot expect someone to send something without you paying first.

Seriously all this for £20?

Why not bid on eBay pay by PayPal and be protected? If your item does not arrive you are fully covered, if the item arrives SNAD you are fully protected and will get a full refund.

Soliciting off eBay sales is not allowed on eBay i.e a sale outwith eBay when the item is listed on eBay.

If the item is collection only then the seller has no protection if you arrange your own courier and as such they are at risk themselves.

You don't get anything in life by only paying half.

dexter73 Sun 14-Aug-11 20:45:03

If you had bought the item through Ebay you would have to pay for it before it was despatched. If you pay him through paypal then you will be covered if he doesn't send the item. Think yabu.

Mitmoo Sun 14-Aug-11 20:45:45

Ebay works by the buyer sending the money first and the seller sending the goods. I would not do a transaction outside of ebay as you could end up getting ripped off. Tell them to relist it as a "buy it now" and then buy it.

to be honest I wouldnt touch it now. What is the approval rate of the seller on ebay?

stoppinchingthedummy Sun 14-Aug-11 20:51:06

The seller doesnt want to relist ...of course i would have bought it through ebay i just forgot when it was ending and no i dont expect the seller to dispatch before money which is why i said id pay half now and half once i knew who the couriour was. Ive asked them to relist as buy it now and they are ignoring that request so ive just had to cut my losses and say i cant risk losing £20 for nothing. Fabby chic £20 is a lot of money to lose isnt it? My point is if i had bought it through ebay id have paid straight away but as the seller wont relist as buy it now i dont feel safe doing it outside of ebay.

FabbyChic Sun 14-Aug-11 20:51:55

No matter if you purchase off of eBay or off you are covered for non receipt and are guaranteed a refund should your item not arrive.

The risk here is not to YOU but to your seller who gets no seller protection for sales outwith of eBay, they have to prove receipt via online tracking to be able to be eligible for SP.

You are asking the seller to take all the risks whilst you take none, you want a favour i.e him selling you something he has listed for collection only and for you to be able to arrange a courier.

Seriously if you were my buyer I'd tell you to fuck off.

fgaaagh Sun 14-Aug-11 20:52:03

YABU for the reasons already identified.

Did you really think he'd send it via courier, tell you the number, and then it would be ok for you to send the money (without any of the protection/feedback mechanisms offered by official listings)? Have I understood that correctly? I must have that wrong, because not only would you be unreasonable for asking for that, I'd add in "bloody cheeky" into it too.

FabbyChic Sun 14-Aug-11 20:52:59

Whats this about a courier? If there are no postage costs then it is collection only.

You cannot expect a seller to basically do escrow but you hold the money.

fgaaagh Sun 14-Aug-11 20:53:41

p.s. I'm actually with you on the "£20 is a lot of money to lose" camp. that's half our food shopping bill for the week.

but my point still stands about it YBU.

stoppinchingthedummy Sun 14-Aug-11 20:55:12

Fabby chic your delightful arnt u!! I wasnt aware that i had protection? how am i protected by paying for something outside of ebay and how would i prove i didnt recieve it??? Ok i dont use ebay much so im a little nieve with it but i only asked them to sort courior as the couriour needs all their details first and i dont have them!!

QueenOfFeckingEverything Sun 14-Aug-11 20:55:18

can't you pay by paypal anyway?

stoppinchingthedummy Sun 14-Aug-11 20:57:12

I was not holding the money i was willing to give half then once i had a guarentee that the couriour had been organised with at least who they were then i would transfer the rest. It doesnt matter now im not having the item.

squeakytoy Sun 14-Aug-11 20:59:23

Pay him with paypal. That way you are covered. How big is the item? Dont let him rip you off with a courier. If it is under 10kg it should be less than £10 for a courier.

FabbyChic Sun 14-Aug-11 20:59:51

If you ask your seller to send you an invoice by PayPal to your email address then you pay that invoice you are protected by PayPal for non receipt, i.e if the item does not turn up you get a full refund of what you originally paid, if the item arrives SNAD you are protected. Buyers receive all the protection.

What gets my goat is people use PayPal but have no idea or read the terms of use to see what protection they get.

squeakytoy Sun 14-Aug-11 20:59:54

Alternatively, ask him to relist it on ebay as a "buy it now" and buy it off him that way.

FabbyChic Sun 14-Aug-11 21:00:40

If you pay two part payments for something on PayPal you get NO protection you have to pay in one lump sum.

Read the PayPal User Agreement to see what you are protected against.

Any PAYMENTS YOU MAKE ARE COVERED FOR NON RECEIPT AND NOT AS DESCRIBED.

IAmTheCookieMonster Sun 14-Aug-11 21:06:39

Ask him to relist it as buy it now, then you buy it.

Takitezee Sun 14-Aug-11 21:10:49

YABVU, how on earth does the seller know you are trustworthy? You watched an item and instead of bidding on it you waited until after and then approached them.

stoppinchingthedummy Sun 14-Aug-11 21:35:14

Takitezee i didnt purposely not bid i just didnt bid before it ended as i forgot to go back and bid before i finished work. I didnt realise i would be covered by paypal and like i said im not buying the item now so it doesnt matter.

Takitezee Sun 14-Aug-11 21:37:21

I understand that but the seller only has your word for it and had no reason to trust you to send the other half once the item had arrived.

stoppinchingthedummy Sun 14-Aug-11 21:44:06

Yea and as far as i was concerned i only had their word that they would send it once i paid. I didnt realise i was fully covered by paypal [roll] i wasnt going to wait for the item to arrive to pay the rest just wait for them to tell me who the couriour company was with a tracking number if they could so i knew it was definatly being sent. Something about sending money to someone elses account and not fully knowing if your going to recieve anything doesnt sit right with me. Thanks for all replies.

HenriettaFarthingay Sun 14-Aug-11 22:03:45

What does SNAD mean?

Takitezee Sun 14-Aug-11 22:10:22

The difference is that you approached them and not the other way round and then you ask if you are unreasonable when you don't seem to be prepared to consider that you might be!

ElsieOops Mon 15-Aug-11 09:39:56

The bizarre thing about your request is that by the time they can tell you the tracking number they have despatched the item. Would you send an item to someone when they hadn't paid for the postage? And you had no guarantee that they would?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now