Talk

Advanced search

To wonder when people say "I NEED to..."

(12 Posts)
TrillianAstra Sun 14-Aug-11 20:16:40

Why is it that you need to lose a stone, or six pounds, or whatever?

What will happen if you don't?

TrillianAstra Sun 14-Aug-11 20:17:24

Not a thread about a thread but a thread about a common title that I've seen a few times recently.

picnicbasketcase Sun 14-Aug-11 20:20:55

I assume they mean that to be the recommended weight for their height or BMI or whatever they NEED to lose x amount.
Maybe it's 'I NEED to lose a stone or I won't fit into this dress I bought... yes, it's the wrong size but it'll encourage me to lose weight so I can do the zip up.'

robotlollypopman Sun 14-Aug-11 20:21:45

Because being overweight is unhealthy?

MissPenteuth Sun 14-Aug-11 20:26:15

I think those kind of threads have a certain desperation to them. Maybe the poster has known for a while that they could stand to lose a bit of weight, and they might have tried half-heartedly, but something triggers a redoubling of efforts. Maybe a holiday or special occasion looming, maybe catching sight of themselves in a mirror, maybe a comment from someone. But it's sort of a lightbulb moment and you think "Right. No more fannying about. I need to do this now."

What they really mean of course is that they want to lose weight. Sometimes the timescales are a bit arbitrary (half a stone in 3 weeks or whatever), but OTOH it can also help to have a specific goal.

zukiecat Sun 14-Aug-11 20:27:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mayorquimby Sun 14-Aug-11 20:34:35

they'll still be fat?

StealthPolarBear Sun 14-Aug-11 20:37:16

I need to lose about 4 stone to be a healthy weight for my height

TrillianAstra Sun 14-Aug-11 20:39:35

MissPenteuth I think you've got it - it's the strange arbitrary timescales combined with need that strike me as odd.

TrillianAstra Sun 14-Aug-11 20:40:15

Or maybe not odd but, I don't know, like they are putting too much importance on that half stone.

MissPenteuth Sun 14-Aug-11 21:03:53

You're right, what people should really do is say "I'm getting a bit fat. I shall stop eating rubbish for a while, exercise a bit more, and hopefully after an unspecified amount of time I will feel more svelte again."

But I think if you're desperate enough to start a thread on it, there's been some sort of trigger and you just want the weight gone now so you try to do it ASAP.

smoggii Sun 14-Aug-11 21:21:45

No-one needs to do anything that isn't a bodily function but 'I would prefer to' takes longer to say

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now