Talk

Advanced search

which type of nursery have or will you choose.

(7 Posts)
mummy2aisha Sun 14-Aug-11 16:08:25

What do other parents think of the different methods of nursery setting. Im not sure which one to choose. I could send my daughter to a children centre where its child based learning run around and learn by themselves or I could send her to a nursery connected to a primary school where it is rountine play read eat and do as the teacher says. both are good in their own way what have you choosen Im torn between the two .

Dozer Sun 14-Aug-11 16:11:30

How old is your DD?

And do you work, or are you a SAHM?

Lots of school nurseries are no good for working parents because they don't offer full daycare.

BertieBotts Sun 14-Aug-11 16:13:30

DS is hopefully going to one connected to a school, but it's very much learning through play, child led, no structured activity at all really. Of course the teachers interact with the children and encourage learning by asking questions, but there are no expectations made of them. I'd go for this over a more structured environment, but if it's likely that the one connected to the school will help her transition to school later then that might be something to think about as well.

natandjacob Sun 14-Aug-11 16:16:13

i would go with a school led one as im a firm believer in routine and structure. as dozer pointed out though can be tough if they dont fit in with your work times

BertieBotts Sun 14-Aug-11 16:20:30

Most school hours don't necessarily fit in with work times either though. I'm not working but I am at uni and DS goes to a childminder while I'm there - she's happy to pick up from preschool when he starts, which is good.

mummy2aisha Sun 14-Aug-11 16:27:39

Im not at work so the time its run is ok for me. I like the idea of her just playing and learning that way but it worries me when she starts primary school she wont be able to concentrate. Then if she is put to a strict rountine she may get bored or rebel like I heard of children doing because to much pressure put on them at a young age but this way she will have more chance of reading at five and being ready for primary school. Then I have heard that other countries dont start teaching at all till the child is 5 or 7 and they are doing well. This is only nursery can you imagine me with secondary.

BertieBotts Sun 14-Aug-11 16:30:25

I wouldn't worry about her not being able to concentrate - reception is very big on learning through play, child led learning etc now anyway. And remember they will have children from all sorts of situations - some from academic nurseries, some from free-play nurseries, some who have been at home, with various levels of parental involvement. They're not expected to be able to read by the time they start smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now