Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be angry about Rave

(18 Posts)
Vinniesbisqwits Sun 14-Aug-11 14:06:35

I live next to two farms my side of road is a village near a city, AIBU to be angry the rave was so loud that we couldnt sleep it was as if I had a party going on in my back garden.

Ive 3 dcs one of which was scared stiff as hes Autistic and was sitting wide awake in bed crying as he didnt understand what a rave was even though I tried to explain he was safe its like and outdoor party.
He kept thinking I was saying Raid not Rave and thinking it was a riot and we were going to be killed, bless him.

I rang police they were not interested and the council who said someone was checking into it and they had had lots of complaints but it still carried on, I thin they were scared if they stopped them they would riot.

TidyDancer Sun 14-Aug-11 15:41:07

Does it happen a lot? Or is it more of a once a year thing?

I wouldn't be happy about it, but my level of annoyance would be measured against the frequency of activity.

Birdsgottafly Sun 14-Aug-11 15:55:31

Tbh probably using the word 'rave' was the wrong thing to do, how would a child know what a rave is? Strickly speaking it was an outdoor party.

All you can do is contact your MP, and ask them to make sure that any enviromental set limits on noise were kept to. Perhaps get in touch with any local community groups, and make sure that there were no other issues, so that you can put your concerns as a group.

If it is going to happen again, try to explain to your DS that it is similar to something that he would understand, like a barbeque but with music.

Vinniesbisqwits Sun 14-Aug-11 19:43:18

thank you both for replying, no its never happened before my worry is the farmer is looking for a way to make more money and will have hem often confused
as i say birdsgottafly i did try and explain an outdoor party but the extreme loudness of the event scared him he is Autistic and had very sensitive hearing (all his senses are heightened) normal noise to hims off the scale so (and it was as lous as a party in our own garden) so to him must be actually painful like standing in front of speakers ,for eg when my neighbour was away his house alarm went off and they had forgotten to give me the key as they are next door and weve double glazing I could harly hear it but DS went loopy screaming hands over his ears crying turn it off turn it off, so with this loud rap music all night it just sent him over the edge straight away an once in this heightened state you cant talk to dcs untill the meltdowns over which wasnt till early hours of the morning once they all packed up and went home.
Ill just hope for the best atm but if they do it again the bloody farmer can stand by.

piahigsy Mon 15-Aug-11 14:54:14

Hi Vinnesbisqwits,

Can I ask roughly what area you live? Its just we had exactly the same, Im sure it was Friday night? We are in Village on outskirts of Colchester. I read your post and though Oh I wonder if it was the same illegal rave, cant be many surely!?

knittedbreast Mon 15-Aug-11 18:24:44

yabu. they huge amounts of fun and i have spent many a happy evening at them! in fact if you have had them for the past few years I may well have been in your field! just embrace it, its over now and the summer will be over soon so the parties will move the the warehouses and abandoned barns WITH HEATING! :0

KatieScarlett2833 Mon 15-Aug-11 18:29:32

Ah, a good Rave <nostalgic>, the '90's were great...

knittedbreast Mon 15-Aug-11 18:31:21

the 2000`s were great too smile

Andrewofgg Mon 15-Aug-11 18:34:30

Tell me, knittedbreast, people who want to sleep at night undisturbed by others' choice of music are unreasonable because . . .

LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Mon 15-Aug-11 18:37:43

YANBU to be cross, they should have warned you, but if it is a rare occurrence, even though DS might be sensitive, I don't think there's much you can do. Youngsters need to let off steam somewhere.

I really don't think it would have been rap music. Never heard of a rap rave.

janelikesjam Mon 15-Aug-11 18:38:41

I think the occasional happy rave in the countryside is fair enough, if inconvenient for those around. I think thats different from noisy neighbours who drive you crazy day-in-day-out if you live in a flat in a city.

So my advice to OP, count your lucky stars that you live in relative peace the vast majority days/nights of the year ... smile

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 15-Aug-11 18:41:41

to be back in my teens, where i was young free and single. (7 years ago seems a lifetime ago)

op i would leave it if it was a one off, and use your words more carefully

KatieScarlett2833 Mon 15-Aug-11 18:42:35

......the farmer next door can make oodles of cash renting out his fields to dance mad folks, and in this economic climate it is churlish to bemoan his entrepreneurial nous?

Vulgar Mon 15-Aug-11 18:45:13

I haven't heard of a rave for years . . . just need to do lots of smiley faces to bring back the 80's smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile

BUT, you have my sympathies about the noise and your poor DS. And a rap style rave doesn't seem very appealling either. Too aggresive.

KatieScarlett2833 Mon 15-Aug-11 18:47:20

aceeeeeed! smile

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 15-Aug-11 18:58:29

Ahhh the humble rave. My first flat was right on the edge of woods that would play host to 2/3 raves a year, it was very noisy but I didnt have children with SN to placate and also I attended the raves when I was younger so I robably view them through rose tinted glasses.
It must of been a rough night for you OP. Fingers crossed it's only once a year and maybe tou can ask the landowner when the next one is so you can avoid being in the house?

knittedbreast Mon 15-Aug-11 19:27:01

not at all andrew, but sometimes disturbed we are!

im sure one night wont kill the op, next time it might be cows mooing!

KatieScarlett2833 Mon 15-Aug-11 19:29:27

Amazing Is "rose coloured glasses" a euphamism for 4 tabs of E? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now