Talk

Advanced search

to be worried about my 5 week old not taking her bottle properly

(14 Posts)
BlueKangaroo22 Sun 14-Aug-11 08:52:12

Sorry to post here but need a quick response.
Got my dd up at 7am as usual this morning, and made her a bottle, she is on 4oz and has been since about 3 weeks.
Basically I am worried about her because she normally gets really fractious (cause she hungry) and devours the whole bottle - her dad gives her a bottle at 2:30am and brings her to bed, so i know she needs it. I struggled to get 2oz in her, then she wouldn't bring any wind up, so when I put her down cause she was sleeping and wouldnt drink, obviously she was a bit sick, a couple of times but I have put that down to the fact that she didn't have a burp.

She got a bit whingy so i picked her up and tried to give her the bottle again, she sucked on it but when I checked she had barely had any.

She's getting fussy again now but I can't give her the remainder of the bottle as it has been almost two hours since I made it.

Any advice appreciated.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 14-Aug-11 09:46:21

Above idea isn't a bad start point. Too tiny a hole in the teat can be hard work and they give up. Keep an eye on her otherwise. It could be that she's feeling under the weather or has a sore throat or something. Try offering cooled, boiled water to keep her hydrated. If she's looking her usual self apart from not feeding too well then she's probably OK. If she starts looking listless or showing signs of distress give your GP a call.

BlueKangaroo22 Sun 14-Aug-11 10:15:36

Made her up a fresh bottle at 9am, and she had 2 oz of that. She does seem fine I was just worried as I didn't want her to go hungry, I get her up at 7 and she normally wakes up for her bottle whilst I'm making it. Maybe she was just tired?
She is just kicking around on the playmat at the moment, she has been sick quite a few times but just small amounts as she usually does this, she has a problem with her wind sometimes I think.

She has been a bit whingy but I wouldn't say distressed. If she were distressed she'd be screaming the place down surely?

I just worry because she's my first, not in a PFB way, but just because its all new Iyswim?

FabbyChic Sun 14-Aug-11 10:23:18

She clearly was not ready for the bottle, wait until she cries for it she will let you know when she is hungry. Give her an ounze and then wind her, don't let her have any more than that until she has burped.

thederkinsdame Sun 14-Aug-11 10:25:29

Blue - sometimes, when babies are ill they go quiet rather than screaming, so as Cogito says, if she is listless then a call to OOH wouldn't hurt. If she's kicking about on her playmat though, and is otherwise bright and alert then she sounds fine.

Things to watch out for: temperature, depressed or bulging fontanelle (soft bit on her head), listless, dry nappies and so on.

I would say that if she doesn't drink much today and continues being sick you may want to get her checked as she is so young especially. She may have reflux, which would make it sore for her to drink her milk and it could be as simple as changing her formula brand (but don't change it before you've taken advice)

HTH and hope she glugs down her next feed!

BlueKangaroo22 Sun 14-Aug-11 10:26:44

I dont like waiting for her to cry as I have been told that it is a late sign of hunger as it comes after rooting around etc

pickgo Sun 14-Aug-11 10:31:45

Rather than buying new teat you could heat up a needle and insert it into the hole of the teat you've got to make it a bit bigger.

Giving her a bath might help her work up an appetite. She might not need feeds more than 3-4 hours as she gets bigger.

Hebrewlass Sun 14-Aug-11 10:40:41

Hi it sounds to me like like she may have some reflux. This does make them fearful of feeding . If she continues to ' posset ' ( vomit small amounts ) and faffs around with her bottle go and see your gp. There are things they can recommend for this , Eg formula thickeners . It does sound like the classic age when reflux starts to kick in . Try and keep her upright as much as possible . Hiccups can often be a sign of reflux too. In the meantime feed small amounts more often ( very hard work I know ) and try to keep her as calm as poss. If it is reflux then it is important not to over fill her tummy, and unfortunately crying makes it worse . Its basically down to an immature digestive system . X

Hebrewlass Sun 14-Aug-11 10:48:25

I agree with you I wouldn't wait for her to cry for feeds. If if it's reflux or wind , when they cry they take in a lot of air ,which can often make the pain worse.

Zimm Sun 14-Aug-11 11:30:18

Maybe she was grumpy because you woke her up? Chuck Gina Ford in the bin and wait for to wake for the bottle maybe?

BlueKangaroo22 Sun 14-Aug-11 21:07:10

zimm, sorry but who the fook is Gina Ford. Lol, anyway she seems fine now has had subsequent bottles normally, will wait for her to wake up tommorow morning!

thanks guys

Zimm Mon 15-Aug-11 07:33:26

She is the person who tells us babies must wake up at 7!

Zimm Mon 15-Aug-11 07:33:35

Glad she is better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now