Talk

Advanced search

To think that "place marking" is just fucking rude

(159 Posts)
Catslikehats Sun 14-Aug-11 06:52:30

I've just read a distressing thread (as opposed to an amusing thread where I don't really mind so much) on which the OP needed help support and the number of posters who have just typed ".", presumably to place mark has really pissed me off.

It's not fucking entertainment folks and if you want to treat it as such at least have the decency not to be so blatant about it and try one of these approaches:

i) Add something useful

or

ii) type something appropriate: you've clicked on the message box and are going to click and wait on the post button so why so hard to type "good luck" of "OMG that is awful"

or

ii) Add to your watched threads

AIBU to think it is really not that hard not to behave like a rude rubbernecker

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Sun 14-Aug-11 06:55:28

Totally agree

Mitmoo Sun 14-Aug-11 06:55:46

It's the Mumsnet way sadly. Then you get the morons intent on finding a disrepancy in the post when there aren't any. Idiots. Actually some are very nasty idiots. For them it is entertainment.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 14-Aug-11 06:58:14

"." is to bump the thread though so it stays in the 50 active threads and somebody with valuable advice can come on.

They probably should write bumping for you though.

DontGoCurly Sun 14-Aug-11 07:02:11

Yep, it's treating peoples problems like a soap opera. I also hate begging for updates for the same reason. So transparently voyeuristic.

AlpinePony Sun 14-Aug-11 07:06:11

Yanbu it's very ugly. sad

duffybeatmetoit Sun 14-Aug-11 07:12:49

YADNBU. Totally agree with your points OP

Iggly Sun 14-Aug-11 07:13:55

YANBU I prefer an explanation!

ZonkedOut Sun 14-Aug-11 07:25:55

YANBU, it's one thing posting a brief message to mark your place, but a blank message is rude. And it is completely unnecessary, the watched threads function does exactly the same thing but better. And you can update your place easily too!

Try it out if you haven't already.

FlyMeToTheMooncup Sun 14-Aug-11 07:29:08

YANBU when it's a distressing thread. I think it's fine when it's something funny/in MN classics though.

I saw it on that thread too and it made me very uncomfortable.

All very well on a POAS thread (what is there to say?) but on certain threads it just looks callous.

ChippyMinton Sun 14-Aug-11 07:38:20

YANBU
Watch the thread or say something helpful.

I don't want to trawl through drivel when I'm rubbernecking wink

Ephiny Sun 14-Aug-11 07:43:15

I never understood why people type 'marking my place', why not just add the thread to your watch list, that's what it's for!

The '.' thing might be to bump the thread to increase the chances of it being seen by someone who can help, I agree they should say so though.

Mitmoo Sun 14-Aug-11 07:43:32

What thread was it on?

Icelollycraving Sun 14-Aug-11 07:45:03

I didn't know what that was until you explained it. How grim (in the context of that thread).

skinnymuffin Sun 14-Aug-11 07:55:41

Totally agree. Just reiterated my support on a thread this morning (the one you're referring to?) and stated that I won't post again until there is more news.

Felt bad doing that tbh. Don't get the full-stoppers at all. That's what 'watch this thread' is for! It's not hard...

ChumleeIsMyHomeboy Sun 14-Aug-11 07:57:37

why not just use the 'bookmark' facility? Then they don't even have to waste valuable time and scarce brain cells to get back to their rubbernecking.

YADDDDDNBU OP

Sirzy Sun 14-Aug-11 08:12:33

Yanbu. It isn't hard to think of something appropriate to post

DuelingFanjo Sun 14-Aug-11 08:15:54

TheQueen, I saw the thread you are refering to - bloody disgusting. Despite what someone up thread says the '.' posted in that thread was not a bump as there was no need to bump it, it being a really active thread at the time. sad

Catslikehats Sun 14-Aug-11 09:33:13

Bloody right it wasn't a bump - it was an "I'm a lazy rubbernecker".

FFS people there is a time and a place to stand and gawp but some people seem to be devoid of understanding. Yuk.

ZZZenAgain Sun 14-Aug-11 09:34:33

what thread?

SuePurblybilt Sun 14-Aug-11 09:37:10

I hate it. The

is the rudest thing on MN. Bumping to attract helpful answers is different, and most people say that's what they're doing. The full-stop is annoying on a normal, funny thread but on a serious thread like the GP one, it's somehow much worse.

pigletmania Sun 14-Aug-11 09:37:21

I wondered what those (.) were on that thread, I thought it was just bumping the thread up. In regards to updating, its nice to know the outcome of a particular situation that you have given the op advice on. This is particularly so with party or MIL threads smile

Eglu Sun 14-Aug-11 09:39:27

YANBU. It is incredibly rude

crazynanna Sun 14-Aug-11 09:48:01

I thought those (.) posts were a game,and I have posted back this (..) now realising I am doing exactly this! Bloody hell!

Recently I wanted to watch a thread about products for curly hair,and didn't know (at the time) about 'watched threads',so I just posted once saying "may I lurk on your thread for some tips?" But then I discovered 'watched threads' (revelation!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now