Talk

Advanced search

Noisy neighbours, screaming all day!

(11 Posts)
nightowlmostly Sat 13-Aug-11 21:03:42

I have posted about this before, just after this nightmare family moved in next door. They consist of a young mum and her 3 boys, aged about 3, 6 and 7, I think. I only mention that she is a lone parent because it seems relevant in this situation, as in she is young and seems to have no clue how to deal with her kids, and has no support, before I get flamed!

Basically, her kids literally scream at the top of their lungs all day in the garden, and indoors sometimes too! That is bad enough, but on top of that she deals with them by screaming too, swearing, all I can hear is yelling from all of them! I realise that the kids are learning this behaviour from their mum, but that doesn't make me like it more.

To make it worse, I work nights and get woken by this racket every day, earplugs don't help that much. I know working nights is my choice, but leaving that aside, even if I didn't I can't enjoy my garden or my house really, it is so annoying. The kids throw things, crash about, scream, cry, and then she starts screaming at them. I can't convey how loud they are, it is unbelievable. There are other kids on the road, they don't bother me because the noise they make is at a normal level.

I think I have to move, we were thinking about it anyway, but I have real concerns about being able to sell if any prospective buyers hear it there's no chance! What should I do, I don't want to go round if it will cause bad feeling but I can't deal with this much longer. Even when they're at school it's like clockwork, 3.30 and it starts. Help, I'm going crazy!

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Sat 13-Aug-11 21:24:11

Are the noisy neighbours renting or buying their home?

worraliberty Sat 13-Aug-11 21:29:12

Well at least they're of school age so if you do decide to sell up, you can try to arrange the viewings during school hours.

Don't know what else to suggest sad

dreamingofsun Sat 13-Aug-11 21:31:34

this is why i've always aimed at living in detached places - so i know i'm not very experienced. I'd be inclined to ask very nicely if they could keep the noise down as you work nights and its keeping you awake despite the fact that you have earplugs. from what you say they will take zip all notice of this request - but at least you have done what you can. if they still annoy you i doubt they are above the limits set by the council so you will either have to acccept it or move

janelikesjam Sat 13-Aug-11 21:32:31

Poor you, I don't know how you can resolve this. Noisy neighbours are my personal bete noir. Are they likely to be there permanently or temporarily? Moving may be the only option.

Re. selling - I don't know the law but surely you only have to disclose an actual dispute with a neighbour? Just asking them to quieten down and see what happens (no change probably) doesn't seem to qualify as a dispute. But worth checking the law I guess.

hoolabombshell Sat 13-Aug-11 21:39:23

God I sympathise with you nightowl, our ex-neighbours were exactly the same, in fact DP and I had to move bedrooms the noise was so bad.

The family consisted of young mum & dad who seemed to brawl constantly, and 3 little girls close in age who screamed all day and cried all night. Don't even get me started on the constant slamming of doors. Grrrrrrrrr.

The mother's screech was the worst, though - it was awful hearing her swearing at the kids. We felt we couldn't enjoy our garden properly as they were out there causing a rucus almost every day.

Nobody can be expected to live like that, it's just dire.

emmam25 Sat 13-Aug-11 21:49:28

Have you tried contacting Environmental Health at your local council? I know in some places they are worse than useless but it is the recommended course of action for noisy neighbours!

I really do feel for you, we live in a flat and our neighbours have their moments but thankfully a friendly conversation has settled things somewhat.

plus I'm just dead nosey and get to listen in on their arguments blush

FabbyChic Sat 13-Aug-11 21:52:15

You can report them for excessive noise and should do so, it is not acceptable.

nightowlmostly Sat 13-Aug-11 22:18:24

Thanks for the sympathy everyone, I am at my wits end. I was thinking of reporting them to the housing association, but not sure if I'd have to declare that if we move? They are renting but have been placed there, don't imagine they will be moved anytime soon. It's so loud you can hear them from the street, god knows what people must think!

mummymeister Sat 13-Aug-11 22:54:33

You can make an anonymous complaint either through your local councils environmental /public health dept or directly to the housing association if they are owners or part owners of your neighbours property. Statutory noise nuisance is defined in law and they can assess if this continuous shouting falls into that category. you are a long way off it being dealt with but you need to make this initial complaint. also if you feel she isnt coping contact social services. this can again be done anonymously and they perhaps can give her some of the support that she needs to help cope. believe me if you just leave it, it will get worse. this never gets better on its own so best to start the formal complaints on Monday.

AmazingBouncingFerret Sat 13-Aug-11 23:03:43

I can sympathise, I've just moved into my new house 5 months ago and the garden that sort of backs onto ours has noisy, nosy kids that climb the fence and stare at us, when not staring they like to shout and be shouted and screeched at by their mother. No where near as bad as what you describe though.

sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now