Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to refuse

(16 Posts)
MissMap Sat 13-Aug-11 15:09:27

I have 2 DNs and a Dnephew staying with me plus a french exchange student and my own DC. As I have a large enough vehicle to transport us all I have planned various trips out this week.

My brother is due to take a group of his students away this week and has just had an accident which has put his Uni mini bus off the road. So he wants to borrow my vehicle,this week,at such short notice .

I have refused and he is absolutely furious as this is effecting his work and my trips are "only for pleasure".

He is not an easy man and I usually fit in with him, but I feel this is asking too much. AIBU

maristella Sat 13-Aug-11 15:12:06

What a shit he is being! He has no right whatsever to your car.
Surely he can get the uni to hire a replacement vehicle?

scurryfunge Sat 13-Aug-11 15:12:25

His insurance can sort out a replacement vehicle surely? He sounds a bit of a bully to totally disregard your plans.

pjmama Sat 13-Aug-11 15:12:42

I think he's being a cheeky bugger frankly. You're under no obligation to lend him your car thereby ruining your own week. Let the Uni hire one if it's a student trip.

Tell him to sod off.

Is he insured on it? It will need work insurance etc. YaNBU

TheFlyingOnion Sat 13-Aug-11 15:13:47

YANBU

What would he do if he didn't happen to have a sister with a large car? Well, he should do that!

squeakytoy Sat 13-Aug-11 15:20:30

If his need is work related, then it is upto his employers to sort out the hire of a replacement. Tell him to bugger off.

MissMap Sat 13-Aug-11 15:24:20

I think he was hoping to get his vehicle repaired without informing his emlpoyer. I suspect it may be a delicate issue for him.

nocake Sat 13-Aug-11 15:24:26

He is being unreasonable to ask you as the uni should sort out a replacement vehicle.

MissMap Sat 13-Aug-11 15:27:11

I may be wrong about that.
Secret that is a good point He wont have thought about the insurance aspect. He may be brilliant but he is not very worldly! Problem solved.

addictediam Sat 13-Aug-11 15:46:35

Let me get this straight, you have 4 children that aren't yours staying with you for a week. Plus your own?! And your brother thinks you are being unreasonable for wanting to get out of the house with them all!
Ya so nbu, you are a saint. Tell him where to stick his complaints and only for pleasure remarks, its your car and by the sounds of it you will need it for your sanity!

ChaoticAngeloftheUnderworld Sat 13-Aug-11 17:10:30

YANBU He can get another vehicle sorted through the uni.

Birnamwood Sat 13-Aug-11 17:56:59

yanbu.

He will need specific insurance to carry students. What a shit he is being!

YouDoTheMath Sat 13-Aug-11 20:57:53

I don't see how it's your problem, or why you should provide the solution.

What does he expect you to do? Sit at home with your brood all week?

Ignore his tantrum - it would certainly make me even less inclined to help.

Claw3 Sat 13-Aug-11 21:08:48

YANBU, enjoy your week.

blaaahh Sat 13-Aug-11 21:09:27

yanbu

his problem if hes crashed his minibus - dont get involved covering up for him just to ruin your plans

think your v brave btw with all those kids!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now