Talk

Advanced search

Bizarre conversation!

(31 Posts)
notsohappymummy Fri 12-Aug-11 22:32:45

My husband has manflu! I have also been poorly. I had 2 day off sick but he has had 4. Today I 'phoned from work do you need anything? "I have enough Lemsip for tonight." Now 10 mins ago. Did you get me some Lemsip?
Me! Knackered? No! Tragic face.
Me. I have paracetamol,co-codamol, antihistamines , night nurse etc.......
Major arguement. No Lemsip. I thought it might be in your handbag if I needed it!
For what it's worth I have chronic illness which involves 2 monthly infusions in hospital and he is a good husband but for goodness sake!!!
I am a HCP so can safely medicate him!! He will not die tonight.

Kayano Fri 12-Aug-11 22:33:59

Lmfao. Sorry! Men!

worraliberty Fri 12-Aug-11 22:34:47

I think Lemsip's a waste of money but my DH swears by them

I'd sooner give him two paracetemol and a mug of warm lemon squash

PeopleCallMeTricky Fri 12-Aug-11 22:37:05

Lemsip has a decongestant too though, worraliberty.

Kayano Fri 12-Aug-11 22:38:50

I actually really swear by lemsip cold and flu capsules
But wouldn't react like that if there were none! Lol

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 12-Aug-11 22:39:31

DH has to have Lemsip for manflu. Its just so he can hug the mug and breathe in the steam like a small child. I think it must be some kind of nostalgia thing from when his mummy looked after him hmm Unfortunately, I'm a pretty shit nurse and I just sit there smirking at him whilst he does it

bumpybecky Fri 12-Aug-11 22:41:34

my DH has been known to fake a sniffle so he can have a lemsip hmm

Claw3 Fri 12-Aug-11 22:43:41

Must be a man thing, i hate Lemsip. I also hate man flu, i want to scream take a couple of paracetamol and get on with it grin

Pandemoniaa Fri 12-Aug-11 22:44:30

Lepsip, opiate of the massed male species.

Pandemoniaa Fri 12-Aug-11 22:44:47

Lepsip?

bubblesincoffee Fri 12-Aug-11 22:44:47

Proper honey and lemon is much better, with some sudafed. Didn't you even buy him fresh lemons?

You sound like an evil, neglectful wife.

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Fri 12-Aug-11 22:45:50

I like lemsip direct... but that's by the by smile

He will live until he can go and get some tomorrow - it might teach him to listen to you when you ask a question!

PeopleCallMeTricky Fri 12-Aug-11 22:46:12

Why fuck about with several different medicines, when you can just have a lemsip with them all in? And I'm not even a man.

RollingInTheAisles Fri 12-Aug-11 22:48:42

My DH is the same about lemsip or day nurse and night nurse. He times the doses to the minute and it usually goes on for a good four days!

Claw3 Fri 12-Aug-11 22:50:33

Its like drinking a cup of hot medicine. Ok perhaps more like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.

Pandemoniaa Fri 12-Aug-11 22:59:27

I truly wish to injure DP every time the first tiny symptoms of a tiny little cold strike him.

The whole body sort of slumps into a pathetic, quivery jelly as he croaks, piteously (pausing between words to deliver a tubercular cough) "I don't suppose there's any Lemsip in the house is there?" This terrible over-acting almost always occurring within spitting distance of where the supplies of Lemsip are kept but the truly terrible effects of influenza a slight cold making it impossible for him to open the cupboard door himself. One of these days there will be no Lemsip. At that point I fully expect the sky to fall in on us.

One of these days I'll film the performance. I'm sure the people he manages at work would be amazed to witness this sort of reverse-Superman performance.

CurrySpice Fri 12-Aug-11 23:02:09

I always pat DP's arm patronisingly and say "Remember, don't walk towards the light, even if Jesus calls you in the night", snort derisively and let him get on with it!

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Fri 12-Aug-11 23:05:22

My miracle cure for colds/flu, which I turn to at first sniffle, is a couple of Askit Powders washed down with a mug of fresh lemon juice and a couple of teaspoons of honey in boiling water (allow to cool before drinking), and thereafter an Askit Powder every 4-6 hours with more honey and lemon drink as needed.

If I start sniffling before I can get home to access the cure, I pop into the nearest hostelry and have a double scotch and dry ginger to pave the way for the potions and lotions so to speak.

As a child, if I had a cold I'd be dosed with a cup of hot milk which also contained a spoonful of sugar and a generous tot of whiskey. Those were the days... grin

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Fri 12-Aug-11 23:07:58

How does your Superman manage to put his underpants back on underneath his Clark Kent trousers? Pandemoniaa grin

madmomma Fri 12-Aug-11 23:09:36

lemsips make me hallucinate for some reason - all the more reason to max out on them (but then I am a Salford girl)blush

Pandemoniaa Fri 12-Aug-11 23:12:46

By the Power of Lemsip, Izzy!

rhondajean Fri 12-Aug-11 23:17:34

Men love Lemsip - it must be more "masculine" than taking tablets in some way?

Bless the poor wee poppets, they are all delicate flowers you know, we shouldnt laugh!!

QueenStromba Sat 13-Aug-11 02:48:54

I'm definitely in the hate it camp with Lemsip. It just tastes like paracetamol and I don't understand why you would want to stretch out the taste of it for 20 minutes. Far better to take two paracetamol washed down with some lemon, honey and ginger in hot water.

kittensliveupstairs Sat 13-Aug-11 07:35:24

So right QueenStromba, I hate it but Beechems powders? They are lush.
I think it must be a man thing, I was nodding along with the wrap your hands around the mug and breathe in the vapours description. That's my DH to a tee.

squeakytoy Sat 13-Aug-11 09:32:45

my miracle cure for colds is a Berocca tablet, and an anti-histamine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now