Talk

Advanced search

To get my DD private tennis lessons?

(16 Posts)
doradaisy Fri 12-Aug-11 21:56:25

I'm a member of a tennis club myself. I love tennis, love playing and watching it! I realised I'm v competitive when I play and love to win!!
My DD, aged almost 4, got into watching Wimbledon this year and we often mess around with the tennis rackets in the back garden!

She's very active, outdoorsy child. In fact, she's so active, she needs to be out in the park or playground everyday or else she'll get cranky, trantrumy playing inside.

She seems to have good co-ordination (or so gym teacher in her montessori said). I think she might like tennis lessons (she liked idea of it when I mentioned it to her) as it'll be good to focus some of the 'active' energy.

However, am worried it looks like I'm pushing her into it or that i'm projecting my own interests on to her. (Then again, my nephew like/plays football cause his Dad does). I don't mind in the slightest if she doesn't like it but thought it might be nice to let her have a go anyway. Or what other's might think:
"She's only doing it 'cause Mummy plays tennis."
"Are you Judy Murray (andy's mother) or what!?"
"Do you want to raise a budding Nadal?"

AIBU?

doradaisy Fri 12-Aug-11 21:58:00

sorry, the last bit doesn't read v well - basically these are the potential questions I might hear from other people!

EdithWeston Fri 12-Aug-11 22:00:44

I found a lovely mini-tennis club for mine.

I suggest you look out for a Tots tennis programme where there is plenty of emphasis on having fun with the game and learning the ball skills which are the foundation for Peter. They usually have lovely coaches who are very good with the younger age groups. Then at about 6-7 years old, move to a mini tennis club - again, emphasis on enjoying the game rather than full on coaching. At about 7 you can start entering red ball competitions, and looking for more formal coaching (if she actually likes it - you'll know by then).

AgentZigzag Fri 12-Aug-11 22:00:48

They're hardly going to be gruelling 10 hour sessions for a 4 YO are they? grin

So it won't equal you hot housing her to tennis stardom.

What does it matter if anyone thinks or says that about it? None of their business.

EdithWeston Fri 12-Aug-11 22:04:28

"Peter" - that has to be the weirdest thing the keyboard has ever done! I meant "for the rest of the game"

Here's a link to the mini tennis bit of the LTA website which you might find helpful.

robotlollypopman Fri 12-Aug-11 22:06:28

Private lessons are cool but booking the court can be expensive. We were quoted £3000 and that was the NET price!

sittinginthesun Fri 12-Aug-11 22:07:55

Our local club has a pay and play drop in session for children, starting at age 4.

Not pushy, but she may still be a bit young to really get into it. My DS is 7 and loves it.

inchoccyheaven Fri 12-Aug-11 22:12:06

Our local tennis club runs summer courses and my ds1 had a go at one when he was about 5 yrs old. He enjoyed it and then had proper weekly lessons from then on. There was about 6 or so ina group so got plenty of attention and help. DS1 did give it up at about 8 yrs old though as he was quite good and they wanted him to enter more comps but he didn't want to so he was put off.

On the otherhand we are a cricket family and he has been playing that since he was 5 and can't get enough of it ( he is now 11 yrs) and has played for the district so just go with what your child wants and you can't go far wrong smile

nancy75 Fri 12-Aug-11 22:12:14

Its not pushy - some children start playing tennis at 2, there are lots of 4 year olds that play. It is no different to sending her to ballet or gymnastics

rhondajean Fri 12-Aug-11 22:12:24

No, this is you wanting to share something you love with your child, if she hates it and you force her to keep going YABU, giving her the opportunity to learn it makes you a lovely mum.

We all do the same sport, different classes, private sessions, etc, and it also gives us a shared family interest as well as keeps us fit.

She may, as others said, be a wee bit too wee though, but I must admit Id try her again in a year or two if she is.

nancy75 Fri 12-Aug-11 22:13:08

I wouldn't recomend 121 sessions at 4, i would look for a group

Laquitar Fri 12-Aug-11 22:25:01

I agree that you share something you love with your children. Don't all parents do that? Others with cooking or gardening or whatever passion they have. In my family is music, i was playing all my life so it was natural to play for my dcs from the day they were born. They all play now, i've never forced them.

Nobody has ever said anything to my face, i dont know if they said behind my back. My good friends wouldn't, the rest i don't care. Why do you care?

Just let her try and see how it goes.

Sharney Fri 12-Aug-11 23:46:00

If she wants to and you want to and you can afford it go for it. Just don't turn into one of those parents. She may quit in a year she might end up winning a grand slam (or two) she may just end up loving and playing tennis and having an active, healthy lifestyle. As long as she's happy, that's pretty much what we all want for our kids.

WilsonFrickett Sat 13-Aug-11 00:31:01

Four exclamation marks in one post!!!!

YABU

LineRunner Sat 13-Aug-11 00:57:32

My son has tennis coaching. I would give you a sensible reply but the £3000 court booking fee has made me realise that you all live in outer space.

CRS Sat 13-Aug-11 01:01:44

YANBU but my son plays for a professional club at junior level - was scouted for this as the next stage is academy - we are trying to discourage this - (football) - as he is SO unlikely to become a professional footballer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now