Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to not understand the point of watching soaps.

(72 Posts)
robotlollypopman Fri 12-Aug-11 21:29:02

I have no problem with them per se. I do think they're ricockulous with the levels of unrealism but my biggest gripe is this: When was the last time anything was left a surprise? TV mags and newspapers tell you everything that happens before you watch it. And with the exception of June Brown, the acting isn't even that good (I'm looking at you Nick Platt).

squeakytoy Fri 12-Aug-11 21:32:54

There was something on one of the soaps which was kept a secret right until the end... cant remember what it was now, but it was a good one that nobody knew until it was screened.

AgentZigzag Fri 12-Aug-11 21:33:32

I've watched them all in my time (even Neighbours, it was when Scott and Charlene were about in my defence grin) and it's a nice routine time where you know you can switch off and be 'entertained'.

I don't miss them now I don't watch any, but I especially don't like other people trying to infer that if you do watch them you're a lesser being somehow.

They serve a purpose.

Agree that June Brown is the dogs, she was great on Who Do You Think You Are earlier this week.

Birdsgottafly Fri 12-Aug-11 21:34:37

I don't read TV mags or non-news in papers, so the plots are a surprise, to me. I only watch them occasionally, though, Eastenders and corrie. I think that there is enough good acting to hide the bad.

squeakytoy Fri 12-Aug-11 21:35:48

Corrie has always been my favourite, I prefer a mix of comedy and drama, and Eastenders has always leant way too heavily on the misery side.

Birdsgottafly Fri 12-Aug-11 21:36:52

Squeaky- I think you are thinking of the live episode of Eastenders, in which Bradley died, they filmed three endings.

robotlollypopman Fri 12-Aug-11 21:38:27

AgentZigZag - I wasn't inferring that those who watch are lesser beings. Just wondered what the point is. I could follow every storyline without watching a single episode just be reading tv mags. Why do viewers not complain and get them to stop revealing everything?

Fiendishlie Fri 12-Aug-11 21:40:05

Robotlolly, you obviously watch them, to know who the characters are?! I don't watch any, ever, and yes; I do feel a bit smug about it

robotlollypopman Fri 12-Aug-11 21:40:52

My wife watches them and I let her. I'm nice like that.

EdithWeston Fri 12-Aug-11 21:40:53

I though she meant "Who shot JR?" blush

twooter Fri 12-Aug-11 21:42:06

I used to watch about 3 hours of soaps every evening. It was just a way to kill time and unwind after work. I've seen the light and completely stopped

Birdsgottafly Fri 12-Aug-11 21:42:25

Fiendishlie- just out of interest, what do you feel smug about?

AgentZigzag Fri 12-Aug-11 21:44:07

I haven't watched EE in years, but can still get what's going on if I dip in grin

Saving resources by recycling.

I used to have a 'I shot JR mug' Edith grin

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Fri 12-Aug-11 21:44:31

I don't know what's going to happen cause I don't watch/read to find out and I enjoy them so much more not knowing.

Btw isn't your wife lucky that you let her watch them

PuppyMonkey Fri 12-Aug-11 21:45:28

If you don't watch Corrie, you're missing out on some of the best writing on the telly. Just saying.

I think June Brown is a terrible actress. Reminds me of albert steptoe.

SuePurblybilt Fri 12-Aug-11 21:45:54

I don't watch them, don't have a telly at the mo but I never watch them anyway. I used to watch Neighbours and still have fond memories grin.

I don't feel particularly smug as when I'm not doing the Radio 4/reading alternative, I am watching the crappiest trash-tv ever. I live for Wifeswap and Holiday Showdown grin blush. The only thing I do find weird about soap-watching people is when they get the reality lines blurred and start talking about the characters as if they know them. That does seem a particular thing with soap addicts and is very odd.

squeakytoy Fri 12-Aug-11 21:46:16

Yes, it could have been the Bradley thing. It is bugging me now though... will have go to Digital Spy to look on the soaps forum!!

robotlollypopman Fri 12-Aug-11 21:47:24

''Btw isn't your wife lucky that you let her watch them''

She is. The soaps are on when my dinner is due.

AgentZigzag Fri 12-Aug-11 21:48:01

'Btw isn't your wife lucky that you let her watch them'

The OP's just messing isn't he LoveBeing?

Or are you going to suggest passing on a message through the OP to his wife that she should leave him grin

AgentZigzag Fri 12-Aug-11 21:49:26

'She is. The soaps are on when my dinner is due.'

You revolting specimen angry

Birdsgottafly Fri 12-Aug-11 21:51:40

Squeky-just to do your head in further, they did the same over the father of Heathers baby.

fedupofnamechanging Fri 12-Aug-11 21:51:46

I think the acting can be great. Soap actors are very underrated. What does make it hard for me to watch though, is no matter how awful an event is in a characters life, within a couple of months they are back to shagging around and laughing/joking in the pub. If I'd had some of their life experiences I'd be a gibbering wreck.

Ifancyashandy Fri 12-Aug-11 21:53:03

Jo Joyner on NeverEnders is feckin' ace. I believe her (not that she's real but you know what I mean!).

robotlollypopman Fri 12-Aug-11 21:53:39

Oh AgentZigZag, you do make me laugh. Besides, she knew the rules when I bought her.

EdithWeston Fri 12-Aug-11 21:53:58

birdsgottafly and the father of Michelle's baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now