Talk

Advanced search

aibu to think this woman is bonkers and want her to leave us alone!

(46 Posts)
TheSecondComing Fri 12-Aug-11 14:28:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

princessglitter Fri 12-Aug-11 14:30:40

I wonder if she's trying to make friends with you in a clumsy way?

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 12-Aug-11 14:31:33

I think she's trying to strike up a friendship with you, but going about it rather clumsily. You mention that nobody else knows her at playgroup, maybe she has latched on to you...

evenlessnarkypuffin Fri 12-Aug-11 14:31:50

Have you seen her talk to other mums and interact with their children? How is she with them?

wahwahwah Fri 12-Aug-11 14:32:22

Shes just being nice, but is probably just one of those over-the-top people who comes on a bit too strong. Or maybe her kid is just pug-ugly!

Nancy66 Fri 12-Aug-11 14:33:41

I wouldn't say anything - she's only trying to be nice.

She's probably one of those people that just doesn't have any inbuilt self censorship - like the people that get too close to you when they talk, or the ones that ask personal questions when they barely know you.

She means well.

TheSecondComing Fri 12-Aug-11 14:34:18

aliceliddell Fri 12-Aug-11 14:35:23

Probably trying to be friendly, but obviously a bit of a personality clash with you.

cheekeymonkey Fri 12-Aug-11 14:36:21

Oh, poor woman, maybe she is just over trying to make friends. Does Ds mind being picked up and cuddled, that I can understand you may not feel comfortable with. It would help if he screamed the house down every time she came near him I guess?

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Fri 12-Aug-11 14:40:05

I think she's possibly shy and a bit socially awkward and wants to be your friend and thinks that by seeming to adore your children, you will feel warmly towards her.

evenlessnarkypuffin Fri 12-Aug-11 14:40:06

Ok. I would back away slowwwly. She might have poor social skills and be looking to make friends but she sounds like very hard work and you (presumably) have plenty of friends.

cheesesarnie Fri 12-Aug-11 14:42:24

i think shes trying to make friends.

picnicbasketcase Fri 12-Aug-11 14:44:43

Try tutting, sighing loudly and speaking a little as possible whenever she's anywhere near you. Unless she's completely oblivious she will notice and back off. If she is oblivious, start arriving at the playgroup, walking in, making a point of looking right at her and then leaving again.

passingtime Fri 12-Aug-11 14:47:20

picnicbasketcase that's not very nice! Poor woman sounds a little deranged, sure, but she probably means no harm!

DoingTheBestICan Fri 12-Aug-11 14:48:05

Does she have any other friends at these play groups? Sounds like she wants to be friends with you but is a bit clumsy in making new friends.

evenlessnarkypuffin Fri 12-Aug-11 14:48:48

You could try steering her towards someone else by going on about how stunning their child is?

CaptainNancy Fri 12-Aug-11 14:50:12

Sounds like she desperately wanted a boy to me, poor woman.
Ignore as best you can I suppose.

picnicbasketcase Fri 12-Aug-11 14:50:20

I was only joking with the second part. If someone like that was around me everywhere I went, I would feel like doing it though.

LivingEdwardMunchPainting Fri 12-Aug-11 14:50:35

Unless she's got a copy of the Watchtower sticking out of her bag I wouldn't worry. People say this kind of thing about my children regularly (smug cow emoticon). I just bask in reflected glory and agree with them. Enjoy the compliments and rest assured they won't be saying the same thing in 10 years time when they are no longer cute and fluffy toddlers.

ChaoticAngeltheInnocentOne Fri 12-Aug-11 14:56:07

I agree with other posters in that it sounds like she is trying to make friends but doing it badly. I'd be a bit hmm and backing away slowly if it was me in your position.

TheSecondComing Fri 12-Aug-11 15:04:40

ChaoticAngeltheInnocentOne Fri 12-Aug-11 15:53:01

Now that would give me the creeps.

BeauFauxQuo Fri 12-Aug-11 15:59:34

Whooooaaaa! Don't envy you, sounds very odd!

Is there absolutely no-one else she talks to?

My crackpot radar is going off and I've never met her.

Might be a good idea to find out as much as you can about her, where she lives etc, if noone else knows her you might have to ask her directly

TheSecondComing Fri 12-Aug-11 16:10:07

DontGoCurly Fri 12-Aug-11 17:03:35

She sounds creepy. I would start cold shouldering her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now