Talk

Advanced search

to wear a bikini??

(68 Posts)
natandjacob Fri 12-Aug-11 13:37:15

I've started going to an adult swim on a week night and DP doesn't want me to wear a bikini as he thinks its asking for to much attention. I honestly cant see the problem in it, its just swimwear, right?

shakey1500 Fri 12-Aug-11 13:39:23

That's insane. Wear what you want smile

What does he think will happen? Does he normally tell you what he doesn't want you to wear?

MissyMoo321 Fri 12-Aug-11 13:40:28

YANBU wear what you feel comfotable in.

MissyMoo321 Fri 12-Aug-11 13:40:58

comfortable*

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Fri 12-Aug-11 13:42:10

He's weird.

MorelliOrRanger Fri 12-Aug-11 13:43:37

Huh? if you want to wear a bikini then wear one. It's not up to your DP to tell you what to wear.

Fooffy Fri 12-Aug-11 13:44:45

If you are confident enough in your body to wear a Bikini then bloody do it!

StopRainingPlease Fri 12-Aug-11 13:47:30

At a normal swimming pool? Weird to wear a bikini at a normal pool I think.

TrillianAstra Fri 12-Aug-11 13:48:18

If you are wearing appropriate swimwear as determined by the rules of the pool, then he should shut the hell up.

You'll be under the water anyway, how is it "asking for attention"?

natandjacob Fri 12-Aug-11 13:48:56

this is the only time he's ever asked me not to wear something. I dont think he likes the thought of people looking at me confused I dont want him to feel uncomfortable but its tought titties, i like my bikini grin

natandjacob Fri 12-Aug-11 13:49:42

*tough even!

YANBU - this is 2011 and long gone are the days when we are told what not to wear!!

maras2 Fri 12-Aug-11 14:00:27

Wear it Nat I bloody would if I could get away with it. Good luck to you.

QuintessentialShadow Fri 12-Aug-11 14:02:47

Bikini to the beach, yes. Bikini for swimming in a pool? What is wrong with a good old black swimsuit? I have honestly NEVER seen anybody wear a bikini in a swimming pool, unless it was by a hotel, near the beach. Or summat.

birdofthenorth Fri 12-Aug-11 14:05:01

Unusual on a non-teen in a non-holiday indoor pool but if you're happy go for it!

hopenglory Fri 12-Aug-11 14:05:58

Most people in swimming pools are fretting far too much about what they look like to go round lusting after bikini-clad women

NellieForbush Fri 12-Aug-11 14:06:10

Wear what you want.

natandjacob Fri 12-Aug-11 14:06:49

I just dont understand why its ok to wear next to nothing on holiday at the pool but as soon as you get home you have to cover up? I'm no kate moss but i think i have a nice enough body to wear it and look good without looking like a tart. the only difference between a swimsuit and a bikini is your tummy covered up, hardly a massive difference

PrincessScrumpy Fri 12-Aug-11 14:08:42

I only wore a bikini at a swimming pool when pg and swimsuit didn't fit. I was the only one so it is unusual round here. Having said that, dh doesn't tell me what to wear so I'd probably wear it to make the point if he objected. I think he has trust issues.

TooImmature2BDumbledore Fri 12-Aug-11 14:10:04

People wear bikinis in my local pool all the time. I have on occasion (pre-pregnancy) and may again when my stretchmarks fade. I say go for it and ignore DH.

aliceliddell Fri 12-Aug-11 14:12:46

I think this is bizarre; I had no idea what this could be about until I read it. Quintessential's post I find v. strange. It had literally never occurred to me that a bikini was regarded as a bid for attention. I wore one to baby swimming sessions and adult learn to swim classes. FWIW, it was plain black croptop style. I didn't wear that type of thing because I thought I could 'get away with it, just looked marginally less hideous on my totally flat chest than one piece cossy.

fluffles Fri 12-Aug-11 14:12:51

i wouldn't wear one for actual sport swimming - not comfy, too much risk of accidental exposure - but i don't think you should not wear one for the reasons he said... weird.

aliceliddell Fri 12-Aug-11 14:14:48

Also seemed obvious thing to wear when preg. Was initially baffled by the concept of the maternity swim cossy.

Whatmeworry Fri 12-Aug-11 14:26:00

A Bikini is fine everywhere except for beach volleyball grin

You'll probably be the only one there in a bikini though fwiw.

QuintessentialShadow Fri 12-Aug-11 14:38:38

erm, it is not because the bikini is a bid for attention, it is just not so suitable and comfortable for actually swimming, I would think! The bikini top can become unfastened, slip up, or down, fail to keep the breasts in place etc. I have tried to be in a swimming pool and actually swim in a bikini. Makes me selfconscious about my bits being on display.
Bikinis are more for tanning, rather than swimming I would think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now