Talk

Advanced search

Would it be wrong to pretend I cooked these things myself? ;)

(21 Posts)
AngryFeet Fri 12-Aug-11 11:28:08

Ordered lots of lovely side dishes from Waitrose Entertaining for the hog roast we are having tomorrow. Shall I pretend I made them myself or would that be morally wrong?

rubyrubyruby Fri 12-Aug-11 11:29:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Fri 12-Aug-11 11:29:43

I would blush but i'd probably confess after a couple of glasses of vino grin

GrownUpNow Fri 12-Aug-11 11:32:49

Say nothing and let the make their own assumptions, if they think you are domestic goddess afterwards, no need to burst their bubble. If they enjoyed the food, the most important thing is achieved.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 12-Aug-11 11:33:14

Don't say anything, just smile enigmatically... that's not lying and therefore not morrally wrong. grin

WilsonFrickett Fri 12-Aug-11 11:34:10

Put them in different dishes, do some garnishing (VITAL!) and say nowt. They will assume you did, say lovely things, and you shall bask in the glow.

BaronessBomburst Fri 12-Aug-11 11:38:26

DM used Waitrose Entertaining to supply the food for a family party recently. It was very nice, but no way would it pass as homemade. Everything was just far too precise and perfect. It tasted like shop food too.

itisnearlysummer Fri 12-Aug-11 11:40:17

I don't think they would be fooled unless they never home cook, sorry.

At best they will realise it's shop bought, at worst they will think you're a shit cook!

AngryFeet Fri 12-Aug-11 12:35:59

Darn it! Ok I will be honest if asked.

Shit cook itsnearlysummer? I thought Waitrose Entertaining stuff was supposed to be good confused

lettingitallgonow Fri 12-Aug-11 12:36:59

Joking say you cooked them all grin then if you're rumbled you have a back out plan

SootySweepandSue Fri 12-Aug-11 12:43:13

I'd be impressed enough that you are having a hog roast. Who gives a damn if it's shop bought sides? I would own up though as someone will probably recognise the food and think you are a bit Hyacinth Bouquet to pass it off. I remember being invited over for lunch and having a girl serve up M&S lasagne as her own...I would recognise that béchamel anywhere haha! If you want real homemade food why not find a local deli that could do some.

AngryFeet Fri 12-Aug-11 13:15:00

Too late ordered it now and the party is tomorrow. I was being a bit tongue in cheek, I shall be honest as noone will care I am sure wink.

zukiecat Fri 12-Aug-11 13:18:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

itisnearlysummer Fri 12-Aug-11 15:26:40

AngryFeet, well only because it will taste shop bought. My nan was really offended once because someone complimented her by saying her cakes tasted like they'd been bought in a shop grin

I just find that however good the things are, they don't taste quite as nice shop bought as they do home made.

Tbh, I wouldn't care if I was fed shop bought food or not, I might be a bit hmm if someone tried passing it off as their own! Just don't say anything and if they do ask tell them where it came from.

That should impress them sufficiently. Have a lovely hog roast! smile

chipmonkey Fri 12-Aug-11 16:25:29

I find it irritating when people try to pass shop-bought food off as their own. I don't mind shop bought food in itself and if someone is nice enough to ask me over to dinner I will happily eat what's put in front of me. Cooking is not everybody's thing and if it's not yours, there's no need to lie about it.

evenlessnarkypuffin Fri 12-Aug-11 16:27:59

What Zukiecat said.

AngryFeet Fri 12-Aug-11 18:16:59

Blimey it's true what they said about AIBU! wink

I were only joking peeps, I will off course give Waitrose the credit they deserve. My guests will already be impressed by my wonderful hostessing skills and amusing drunken wit grin

Can't wait - my first ever hog roast! <drools>

TrillianAstra Fri 12-Aug-11 18:20:29

I think there's a hierarchy of niceness.

homecooked really well (grandma's secret recipe)
shop-bought when that's how you expect it to taste (only works for certain foodstuffs e.g. Heinz cream of tomato soup)
homecooked quite nicely
shopbought normal
homecooked badly

rookiemater Fri 12-Aug-11 18:23:22

I'm always delighted to get anything from Waitrose ooh and Hog Roast can I come please?

strictlovingmum Fri 12-Aug-11 18:37:24

Don't say anything, unless somebody specifically ask you for the recipe.
Enjoy your day tomorrow, everybody will appreciate it anyway.
And don't be in owe of Waitrose's ready made food, I am sure if you were to put your mind to it and had time to do it, your home made side dishes would taste million times better, have a lovely day tomorrow.smile

AgainWhen Fri 12-Aug-11 20:30:07

People will know and will think you are very insecure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now