Talk

Advanced search

to be astounded that this is the 2nd time I have heard of this happening in recent weeks?

(20 Posts)
littlemisssarcastic Thu 11-Aug-11 23:49:54

A blind person has been asked to leave a coffee shop because the owner does not want guide dogs in his shop, and fully believes he is perfectly entitled to refuse them. shock

Here angry

AgentZigzag Thu 11-Aug-11 23:53:51

I can see why they might think that, with the other dog honking in front of people eating, but what they think doesn't outweigh the rights of the woman to have equal access to everywhere a person who didn't have sight problems would.

Who do they think they are to believe they can opt out of the Equality Act?

Kladdkaka Thu 11-Aug-11 23:54:12

Not surprised at all. I got thrown out of a museum because I use a walking frame. They genuinely believed they were entitiled to do that too. Thankfully the judge disagreed.

hiddenhome Thu 11-Aug-11 23:55:18

It astounds me to think that people can't cope with a little bit of animal sick hmm They must be totally pathetic imo. Just look the other way why don't they.

AgentZigzag Thu 11-Aug-11 23:55:32

What was the museums reasoning behind that decision Kladd, if you don't mind me asking?

GretaGip Thu 11-Aug-11 23:56:36

I'd like to know how he would react if a child threw up in his cafe. Or god forbid, a grown-up.

ffs.

AgentZigzag Thu 11-Aug-11 23:58:24

I'm really squeamish and stuff like that would put me off hiddenhome, it doesn't make me pathetic.

Bit late to look the other way if you've already seen it.

But funnily enough I don't think twice about wiping DD2s snotty nose if I'm eating confused

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 11-Aug-11 23:58:38

Well, should the chance ever present itself, I wouldn't dream of ever using that particular establishment.
Glad the paper has named and shamed them.
I think they've just lost rather a lot of business

Valpollicella Thu 11-Aug-11 23:59:13

My friend had this when she turned up to my birthday in a pub a couple of years ago...The bouncers were refusing her entry because of her guide dog.

I fuelled by a couple of drinks went a bit mad and summoned the manager and told him that if she was reused entry I would make it perfectly clear that I would spread the word around my (rather large, think 1000,s of employees) workplace that all frequented the pub. And that we would all leave immediately and we would take the tale to the local papers

He suddenly had a rather blush change of heart hmm

AgentZigzag Thu 11-Aug-11 23:59:37

I'd probably dry gag for a while while the image bounced around my head GretaGip grin

Valpollicella Fri 12-Aug-11 00:01:15

We being the group that was there, not the 1000s of employees...

meditrina Fri 12-Aug-11 00:01:21

I can see why a dog which is actually being sick should leave (in the same way as a person actually being sick). But I thought it was illegal to ban assistance dogs (when on duty) from any commercial premises (even food ones), with the only exceptions being certain wildlife reserves and zoos (where the presence of an animal is actually and demonstrably inimical to their function).

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Fri 12-Aug-11 00:05:16

Force 9 gale when sailing the seven seas - no problem.

Blood and carnage? Also no problem, but the sight and smell of someone upchucking turns my stomach and makes me boak.

Kladdkaka Fri 12-Aug-11 00:06:32

AgentZigzag I don't mind you asking. First off they said 'health and safety', but when pressed couldn't actually give any valid health and safety justification. Then they changed 'spoiling other people's enjoyment' and the fact that pushchairs weren't allowed so they couldn't see why I didn't just leave it in the pushchair park and manage without, afterall the pushchair owners managed ok. confused

At the hearing, someone from head office turned up, acted genuinely completely mortified at what had happened, admitted their fault and agreed to all sorts of changes (eg disability awareness training, beating all the staff involved on the day with a big stick etc). I was very surprised it ever got that far. All I wanted all alone was for them to admit that they had stuffed up and apologise for it.

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Fri 12-Aug-11 00:11:27

Kladd - I'm glad you took it further and got a good result smile <shakes head that it was even an issue - but is not suprised>

OP - I've never heard of it happening - but once again - I can't say I'm suprised. I love being in France/Germany etc where all dogs are far more a part of the community.... it's lovely.

AgentZigzag Fri 12-Aug-11 00:17:24

At least it shows it's isolated incidents rather than the norm it used to be Kladd.

What an insult saying you were 'spoiling other people's enjoyment' though!

Kladdkaka Fri 12-Aug-11 00:25:03

That wasn't the insult. The insult was when they tried to make me walk behind the manager on the way out so she could make sure I didn't endanger any other visitors along the way. My nice carer/friend told her to fuck off because we'd forgotten to bring the leper bell. I have never heard her swear before.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 12-Aug-11 00:27:41

I took my elderly mum (80) out once in her wheelchair, and stopped in a small newsagents with her.
I left her in her wheelchair near the counter while I got a couple of things, only to come back to hear (posssibly the Manager), say to her assistant "who does she belong too, she's in the way".
I did say "Why didn't you ask her, she can answer back you know",and, admittedly, she was very embarrassed, but stuff like this happens all the time.

Kladdkaka Fri 12-Aug-11 00:32:07

My experience is the same LadyBeagleEyes. The thoughtless, hurtful comments happen all the time. Ignorance is everywhere. Thankfully the biggies, like being refused access, aren't so frequent, but once is once to often.

LordOfTheFlies Fri 12-Aug-11 00:33:19

I've had several patients with guide dogs coming into the health centre where I work.
I always ask them if they can possibly book the last appointment of the session.
Not because I'm any kind of ist.

It's just that it takes extra time to clean the floor of fur and drool.And the dogs always seem to cover the floor in a layer of labrador fur just by lying still (and dribbling grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now