Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be fed up with my brother's constant advices?

(13 Posts)
Beoley2011 Thu 11-Aug-11 22:00:02

My brother is staying with us for a bit and he cannot stop giving me advices about how to bring up my ds. If I ignore his clearly bad advice, he repeats it, like I should do as he says. Just because he has a 9 years old daughter he thinks he knows it all, better than a GP or HV. When my ds was only 4 months old he could not stop nagging me that I should start weaning him straight away. Or recently he told me that I should give my 7 months old son camomile tea with honey or give him some medicine or dress him warmer in this heat just because my son had a cough. The BLW was going well until my brother started to tell me durring dinner that I should only give my ds blend and tasteless purees. I?m getting to regret to try to help my brother and invite him to stay with us. I cannot wait until next week when he moves out at last.

LivingEdwardMunchPainting Thu 11-Aug-11 22:01:59

give your brother bland and tasteless puree for dinner, that should do the trick.

twinklingfairy Thu 11-Aug-11 22:07:08

oh my sibling advice. Don't you hate it!!
My younger sis recently told me that she could sort my son out in a week, if she had him in her care.
As far as I am concerned he is a perfectly normal boisterous 2 yr old, with a cheeky natuer. Other would and have judged me, but my point is.
Siblings should zip it!
IME the advice given is given in such a condescending way that you could scream!
And so much worse when they don't have any of their own.

BirdOfPassage Thu 11-Aug-11 22:10:51

Older brothers and sisters are a right pain, they KNOW EVERYTHING. I avoid mine. One reads the DM, the other DT. I think there is such a thing as youth fascism.

budgieshell Thu 11-Aug-11 22:14:56

Give it a couple of years and he will be asking you advice about how to cope with a teenager. You have not sorted parenthood just because your kids are a few years older, this prefect child of his could turn in to a nightmare teenager.

exoticfruits Thu 11-Aug-11 22:16:25

Don't explain, don't justify, don't defend. Just smile and say 'really' and change the subject. Keep doing it-he will get the message.

Beoley2011 Thu 11-Aug-11 22:23:54

He is actually younger than me. I decided to wait with starting a family until I've got a good job, and to have my own house. He also seem to forget it I used to look after children.

His daughter at the age of 9 already behaving like a teen. He works away most of the time, so I'm not sure why he thinks that he knows it all.

MadamDeathstare Thu 11-Aug-11 22:27:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TillyIpswitch Thu 11-Aug-11 22:33:24

Unless your kids are in their 30s or above and are model citizens, then you have no reason to be a smug know-it-all. Smile and nod, smile and nod.

DeWe Thu 11-Aug-11 22:55:26

At least he has an older child. My BIL thinks he knows all about any child and what is best and he's only got one younger than all mine (and any other subject he knows nothing about too). Could we arrange for them to meet up and see who self-combusts with rightousness first?

Skillbo Thu 11-Aug-11 23:23:38

oo ooo Dewe and OP - can my brother join in?

My brother has no children and yet still feels the need to point out where we're going wrong, what DD is capable of doing and that she is running wild, out of control and we can't handle her! She is 25mo and perfectly normal - well, compared to everyone I know who has kids.

Suffice to say, we're not talking at the moment after an unfortunate incident with DD and his dog.

Anniegetyourgun Fri 12-Aug-11 00:01:57

The general rule of thumb is that the amount of advice given is in inverse proportion to the amount of experience. Thus, the fewer children one has anything to do with, the more likely one is to stick one's oar in.

BirdOfPassage Sun 14-Aug-11 01:04:42

Annie grin brilliant rule to remember (and cite, if you're brave enough)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now