Talk

Advanced search

To love drinking wine in the evenings and not want to cut back?

(24 Posts)
Joogle Thu 11-Aug-11 20:28:26

I drink a large glass of sparkling wine a night and 2/3 large glasses anight at weekends. I feel fine in the mornings and lead an otherwise very very healthy lifestyle. I have started feeling quite guilty about my wine consumption due to the increased cance risk, but it is something I really enjoy, aibu?

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 11-Aug-11 20:32:20

the question is do you need the wine every night, could you stop any time

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 11-Aug-11 20:34:07

Who knows? Who cares? It's your life. You're a grown-up. Although I would give you a cautionary tale about my good friend Gill. A 'few glasses of wine a night' girl - definitely not a drunk, let alone an alcoholic. The first she knew about the damage to her liver was when she was being bundled into an ambulance. Sadly, Gill died a few years ago leaving two DDs and a DH. An extreme example but when docs advise having two or three alcohol-free nights a week and just a glass or two the rest of the time, I think of Gill and I tend to listen to them.

rubyrubyruby Thu 11-Aug-11 20:35:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Joogle Thu 11-Aug-11 20:36:22

Some weeks I don't drink every night because sometimes I don't really feel like it and am happy with green tea! I do find I look forward to relaxing with a glass of wine though so could stop but wouldn't be happy about it ifswim

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 11-Aug-11 20:38:11

So you don't actually drink every night then?..... Bit of a non-problem, surely?

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 11-Aug-11 20:38:28

then it sounds like you have an addiction to wine.

SmethwickBelle Thu 11-Aug-11 20:39:57

We all take risks in the name of enjoyment, so I understand where you're coming from. And I bloody love wine me. It's so moreish ;)

I have however begun to cut down my consumption exactly due to the cancer risk, I love wine, but I really don't want cancer, my sister got it at my age 36, a nasty case and we nearly lost her. All adult women older than me in the family have had it or died from it over three generations. Consequently I am trying really hard to keep within the governments suggested limits for these reasons, and have several booze free days a week, as I consider the odds not worth pushing.

But everyone's situation is different. You have to weigh it up for yourself, if there's little family history of cancer and you're fit and healthy and booze wasn't impacting negatively on your life I know in your position I'd struggle to feel compelled to cut down.

beanlet Thu 11-Aug-11 20:41:39

That's a HELL of a lot of empty calories you're consuming! My DH has had to give up drinking for health reasons, and he found it incredibly hard at first, being a wine buff, but now he is a serious collector and connoisseur of rare teas. Much better for him, but it also replaced the "need" to drink wine.

branstonsandcheese Thu 11-Aug-11 20:45:04

I hear you. I used to be a classic binge drinker blush - I didn't get out much what with having 3DCs under 6 but when I did I'd get very drunk very fast. Stopped that when I'd acted like a twat once too many times.

Now we're going through a v stressful period and H and I have gotten in the habit of sharing a bottle of wine (usually cava or rose cava) - prob 4 or 5 nights out of 7. Sometimes we'll spread a bottle over 2 nights. I'm a huge worrier and I like that 'loose' feeling after a big glass of wine.

But my parents are basically functioning alcoholics - my mum starts drinking at midday, they get through a bottle of wine each and a large whisky each a night - and I'm really wary of it becoming a crutch I need iyswim.

Will be watching this post with interest.

Joogle Thu 11-Aug-11 20:49:44

branstonsandcheesen - oh my god that is uncanny, are you me?!

porcamiseria Thu 11-Aug-11 21:03:20

I know what you mean, I have 2-3 glasses most days, and the wave of cancer has hit my world too. in fact my dad (drinker) now has liver cancer , which is not good , in any way shape or form

so maybe I need to have some wine free nights too

its just that after a shitty day at work then a hectic evening getting two little ones to bed, I crave it! I rarely get drunk , but still...

god

Joogle Thu 11-Aug-11 21:15:40

Same, I haven't been drunk for a couple of years

Stropperella Thu 11-Aug-11 21:21:03

I would say that if you feel guilt, then that's a sign you need to stop and think. If having wine is your default option for dealing with a tough day/anxiety, something is not right.

TheBride Thu 11-Aug-11 21:22:00

You know what they say, if you don't drink, smoke, or eat what you like, you don't live longer, it just feels like it.

Do you really want to live to be 95? Thought not. Cheers.

Iggly Thu 11-Aug-11 21:26:20

I'm afraid that sounds like a lot to me <judgy>

But I am biased because that's what my mum did and ended up an alcoholic. I remember her having wine of an evening which slowly descended into a bottle then bottles etc.

Why do you feel guilty? Really because of the cancer? Or because it seems too much? Try reducing it and see if you can. If you can then no problem - alcohol is not a crutch. If it is, try and keep and eye on it every few months.

Joogle Thu 11-Aug-11 21:30:17

I didn't used to feel guilty but since the report on a glass of alcohol a day increasing breast cancer by 50% I have started to feel guilty, it is honestly just down to the cancer risk.

I do just really enjoy it, I don't like more then 3 glasses as I really don't like feeling drunk, just the warm feeling from a glass or two

Iggly Thu 11-Aug-11 21:37:15

It's all part of a routine isn't it? Sit down, dinner, wine. I know I did this while feeling guilty because I didn't want to become my mum but not anymore as pregnant. Once I got out of the habit (due to being pregnant), I missed it (only had one glass at home though) but getting out of the habit made it less unbearable. Maybe a change in routine every now and then would make it easier to cut down (if you want to) but not sure how!

Stropperella Thu 11-Aug-11 21:40:40

I have a history of alcoholism in my family. And I also have a great liking for wine and for me that means I need to police myself very closely. My exh was an alcoholic also and I was amazed at how quickly alcoholic liver disease can develop. I don't like being drunk either and also enjoy the warm glow etc. But it's a bad habit to get into. At least it is for me. Plus, I don't want my dcs to grow up in a home where everyday drinking is the norm. I did - and that skewed my view of what is acceptable in terms of drinking behaviour. But of course YMMV. My dad drank and smoked. And he lived to 97. But he used the booze to keep the family at arm's length, which I don't think is great parenting.

porcamiseria Thu 11-Aug-11 21:42:47

"My dad drank and smoked. And he lived to 97."

you see I love stories like that (bar him being a shit dad)

the shit i tell myself

Stropperella Thu 11-Aug-11 21:46:43

Ah, but his older brother did the same and died of cancer at 42, leaving 2 very young children. You win some, you lose some.

porcamiseria Thu 11-Aug-11 21:55:50

i dont want to be that 42 year old, I have 5 fags a day and 2-3 glasses of wine. its not ideal is it

sometimes I think "Oh its OK" then I look at my dad, and my 2 kids

sorry OP, hijack!

redwineformethanks Thu 11-Aug-11 22:07:16

I will watch this thread with interest. For years I was quite proud to think of myself as a very light drinker. I really could take it or leave it and often drove on nights out as it wasn't a big deal to stay on soft drinks. Over the last few years it's become a habit for me to drink wine almost every night, with a bottle lasting 2 nights. I've begun to feel this isn't such a great idea and some cautionary tales on this thread could be just the push I need to cut down

Sorry to hijack

Joogle Thu 11-Aug-11 22:13:07

This website has been really helpful for me www.drinkaware.co.uk I used the tracker and worked out how much I was drinking a week, I think it might have contributed to my feelings of guilt though confused !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now