Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have asked the holiday company for a 7day extension on my last payment for our holiday

(24 Posts)
boyoboy Thu 11-Aug-11 19:13:16

I misjudged when the last payment was due and thought I would get another wage before it was due. (thought it ould be due on the 29th and it was infact due on the 22nd). Plus we are actually away on the 22nd until the 25th August without computer access to make a payment - which was my other reason for asking for a few days grace..........

I phoned them up to explain and they told me that if the holiday balance isnt paid within 48 hours of the due date the holiday is cancelled....

I was explaining to them that I could pay it but would mean going into my overdraft for the next 7 days which I know is only a small charge but I thought my request was quite simple, they didnt give me a tangible reason (ie they have to pay someone else) it was just a NO...

Just thought the inflexibility of it was a bit unreasonable. I will pay on the 22nd but would just have rather not used my OD iykwim.

We dont actually go away until Mid October and Im aware that payment must be made weeks in advance....as just surprised at this 48 hour rule....

SoupDragon Thu 11-Aug-11 19:16:02

You're surprised that have to pay the balance as agreed? confused

Groovee Thu 11-Aug-11 19:17:17

Its in the terms and conditions that if you don't pay then you loose your holiday. Your mistake not theirs.

boyoboy Thu 11-Aug-11 19:19:06

OH I know its my fault, Im not disputing that!...

I just misjudged and as making what I thought was a simple request, Im surprised at the 48hour rule that all smile

boyoboy Thu 11-Aug-11 19:20:27

And Soup Dragon, no Im not surprised I have to pay the balance as agreed - where did I say that

Shitter Thu 11-Aug-11 19:21:14

Use the overdraft and be done with it. Prepare better next year smile

LineRunner Thu 11-Aug-11 19:23:55

If you have an arranged (approved) overdraft there shouldn't be a charge. Check with your bank about making sure you have this service, if you think you don't.

boyoboy Thu 11-Aug-11 19:25:21

Shitter - love the name :D

I know, I know...I really should prepare better........but cancellation after 48 friggin hours...I mean, what If i had been hit by a bus and couldnt get to my laptop to pay!!!!

boyoboy Thu 11-Aug-11 19:26:52

Linerunner, my bank has just (in the last year) started charging for going into your agreed overdraft...and I have spent 12 months climbing out of it, hence my aversion to overdraft sad

nancy75 Thu 11-Aug-11 19:28:46

if you worked for the holiday company would you mind if they paid you 7 days later than they should?

boyoboy Thu 11-Aug-11 19:32:02

nancy...I suppose it would depend upon the circumstances....some companies if you phone up explaining circumstances they will give an amount of leeay if you tell them when you can actually pay..

tyler80 Thu 11-Aug-11 19:32:14

If you'd been hit by a bus:

a) making the payment would be the least of your worries
b) you'd be able to claim on your travel insurance

boyoboy Thu 11-Aug-11 19:33:26

tyler.... :D .. Im hoping I dont get hit by a bus

tyler80 Thu 11-Aug-11 19:35:13

But back to the original question YANBU to ask if a later payment was possible, YABU to be annoyed that they didn't agree to your request nor give you an explanation why

boyoboy Thu 11-Aug-11 19:37:28

But What about the 48hour cancellation thing...that was the real point that surprised me

wubblybubbly Thu 11-Aug-11 19:42:52

I've paid holidays late before, once by accident, once by arrangement, no problem either time.

I guess it's up to the holiday company but I doubt I'd book again if they're so inflexible and unsympathetic.

LIZS Thu 11-Aug-11 19:50:47

Unfortunate mistake but yabu to expect a company to bend their rules. The 48 hours is a tolerance, presumably to allow for any bank or system delays, rather than to allow you to pay 2 days later. Effectively at that point you would be defaulting on the contract. If you are going to be away you should make sure you pay beforehand.

Florin Thu 11-Aug-11 19:51:50

I work for a holiday company if we can delay it slightly we do but most of the time the reason we give the deadline to the client is that is the deadline we have with the supplier. I know your's is a genuine reason but the number of clients that have given us all sorts of stories putting it off by a day then 2 days and then another day. To secure the booking we would at some point have to pay the supplier then if they cancel we lose huge amounts of money once it's happened a few times you do get a lot harder about it. Sorry it does happen and if companies are to survive they have to take a hard line

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 11-Aug-11 19:57:32

Florin: if i take what you say as being truthful, then why when holiday companies go under,do people going on holidays or on holidays suddenly find themselves out of pocket to get home or accommodate themselves??

lilystar Thu 11-Aug-11 20:02:33

Itsjusta - because frequently when a tour operator is going under they hold off paying the accommodation suppliers in an effort to keep the cash in the business until they are able to refinance/turn things around.

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 11-Aug-11 20:05:41

So just theft then ....

TheBride Thu 11-Aug-11 20:11:59

It's a little known fact that most companies that fail do so not because they are not profitable but because they have poor cashflow management. Most successful businesses manage their working capital (money you need to finance debtors, stock etc) so they get money in before they have to pay it out (i.e. they negotiate 30 days credit with their customers but ask for 60 days from their suppliers). Once this goes the other way, you are in trouble, especially as it's hard to get revolving credit facilities these days to cover any temporary cashflow problems.

lilystar Thu 11-Aug-11 20:16:18

Exactly, TheBride. Most of the tour ops who go under do not set out to steal anyone's money, they simply hit cash flow problems, and think that if they hold off paying out until they have some more cash in, it will all work itself out. Sadly it doesn't very often work out like that, and everyone loses out, the accommodation owner, the customer, the employees. What money there was has usually paid either staff wages or whichever accommodation supplier was shouting the loudest.

TheBride Thu 11-Aug-11 20:18:27

This is why there are tough(ish) consequences on directors for 'trading whilst insolvent' because leaving it and hoping it will sort itself out generally just makes things worse for your creditors, epsecially the small ones (i.e. individual holiday makers) who dont have the clout to go round there and impound the photocopier/cars etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now