Talk

Advanced search

to think that ready made mash is not that bad

(75 Posts)
carriedababi Thu 11-Aug-11 18:30:58

you know that fresh mash you get in the shops that you microwave for 3 mins

for somereason i feel v lazy guilty having it, as if peeling spuds is just too much hard work

dont feel to guilty about preperpaed veg or salad though

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 11-Aug-11 18:34:01

yanbu, i don't do it often.

it also saves washing up smile

AgentZigzag Thu 11-Aug-11 18:35:51

DH scorns me for having eaten smash in the past grin (the bisto gravy on it made it up to a meal wink)

I prefer ready made fresh mash to the lumpy shite I make, DH is probably scornful because he makes the smoothest, creamiest mash ever, but I've never been able to master it for some reason

thestringcheeseincident Thu 11-Aug-11 18:37:34

From m&s, it's the best. Lovely creamy mash

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 11-Aug-11 18:37:49

agentZigzag...use an electric wisk or a ricer = no lumps

carriedababi Thu 11-Aug-11 18:39:57

even i draw the line at smash!

lol at with bisto.

that really was a powdered meal!

EssexGurl Thu 11-Aug-11 18:40:34

Delia recommends it in her "how to cheat at cooking" book - although that is the frozen aunt bessie's stuff. In my house, if Delia says something it is gospel!

babycham42 Thu 11-Aug-11 18:42:28

Thought you were talking about Smash at first so got right up on my high horse! But ready made mash is OK every so often - I expect it"s too expensive to indulge in too often anyway.

AgentZigzag Thu 11-Aug-11 18:45:41

Tried and failed with a whisk AuntieP.

Each potato variety needs a different time cooking, plus I don't think I can be arsed to put enough elbow grease into the process.

Outfoxed by mash, the shame of it grin

carriedababi Thu 11-Aug-11 18:46:57

oh well if delia reccomends it then that will do for megrin

oh tell me more about this book, how to cheat at cooking,,,, what other cheats does she resccomend?

usualsuspect Thu 11-Aug-11 18:47:05

I love ready made mash and bisto

CalamityKate Thu 11-Aug-11 18:48:46

I buy it often and I'm not ashamed one bit.

I am RUBBISH at mash; I can never get it smooth. I tried with the mixer once and it went all sticky and gluey and wrapped itself round the mixer blades in one big globule. It was smooth but totally inedible.

AgentZigzag Thu 11-Aug-11 18:49:31

Not just me that's a scuzzbucket then Usual? grin

AgentZigzag Thu 11-Aug-11 18:51:14

(I didn't capitalise your name to poke a pedant stick at you Usual wink it just stands out as a name more)

usualsuspect Thu 11-Aug-11 18:52:26

I'm too lazy to peel ,chop and mash grin

SardineQueen Thu 11-Aug-11 18:52:57

We had the house done recently and only had a microwave for a while. Never had micro mash before (my mum instilled a sense of not "cheating" with anything which I am trying to shake off!) and I was surprised by how yummy it was. I had the waitrose one mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mash.

tethersend Thu 11-Aug-11 18:55:51

Ricers are the way forward.

No peeling the spuds; non lumpy, creamy mash.

But it is a fucker to clean.

Actually, that ready made stuff is amazing.

happyhorse Thu 11-Aug-11 18:59:33

I buy Tesco ready made mash and love it. Life really is too short to peel, cook and mash potatoes. My mum laughs at me for it but I grew up eating her dry, lumpy mash and ready made is much nicer.

Marymaryalittlecontrary Thu 11-Aug-11 19:01:19

We used to often buy the cheap instant mash from asda. The really cheap stuff. Can't stand other instant mash but that stuff wasn't too bad. Havent had it for a while as we now tend to do our weekly shop in Iceland, which is probably frowned upon by MNers! grin

ChopMonster Thu 11-Aug-11 19:03:39

I went through a Smash phase when I was pregnant. It was the only thing I could stand to throw up grin

zukiecat Thu 11-Aug-11 19:23:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Thu 11-Aug-11 19:36:12

ready made FRESH mash is potatoes, butter and milk.... exactly the same as what you would make at home, and tastes exactly the same too..

I use it all the time as it saves so much time if we are in a rush after getting home from work.

Soups Thu 11-Aug-11 19:36:37

I bought a tub of Smash whilst camping once. Now the kids keep asking if we're having smash and not mash, I say no it's much better to eat real potatoes. The real reason is we have none left as I've been eating it.

LadyOfTheManor Thu 11-Aug-11 19:37:43

I'm really not one for instant food. However, dh bought a Tesco finest dine for 2 thing for £10 and in it was Cheddar mash for the microwave. It was delicious.

Have never tried Smash and can't say I want to if I'm honest.

As a one off it was lovely, I think I'd rather make it myself so I know what goes into it...

squeakytoy Thu 11-Aug-11 19:38:02

Does anyone remember Yeoman mash. It was an instant one like Smash but it was the first to have things added to it, like chives or onions.. I used to love that when I was a kid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now