Advanced search

to take a sick baby to a festival?

(38 Posts)
RitaMorgan Thu 11-Aug-11 17:24:00

Have to make a decision on this quite shortly as we should be going in the morning.

On Tuesday night 12 month old ds was sick a couple of times. Since then he has been hot and grumpy, not much of an appetite and his sleep has been all over the place - he was up half of last night and has slept most of today. He hasn't been sick since but is obviously not himself, although he did have breakfast and had a bowl of pasta this afternoon.

We are supposed to be going to a festival this weekend. Tickets were expensive, DP has taken Friday and Monday off work etc. It's more my thing than DP's, my friends are going so he wouldn't want to go without me, however I am breastfeeding so don't really want to go without ds.

Currently I am leaning towards all going, taking some calpol with us and hoping for the best. DP things he should stay at home with the baby and I should go on my own.


cece Thu 11-Aug-11 17:25:20

I would go a day late.

Poweredbypepsi Thu 11-Aug-11 17:26:33

If he is still unwell when you are supposed to be going I would leave him home with DH. I wouldnt want to go to a festival feeling ill, he will be better of at home. He may be better by then though!

Kayano Thu 11-Aug-11 17:26:49

He was sick on Tuesday.....

Calpol it

Poweredbypepsi Thu 11-Aug-11 17:27:18

oh just read you are bfing - if you cant leave him and he is still ill i would still stay home but i am a soft touch when it comes to illness.

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 11-Aug-11 17:29:08

could it be teething, my dd always be sick when teeth are cutting the acid must go to her stomach making her ill.

could this be the case for your lo.

i would say go, if she becomes more unwell then just come home

gapants Thu 11-Aug-11 17:31:16

I would pack as if I was going and make my final decision after wseeing what sort of night we all had tonight.

Will you be camping with other familes..if so they might not be too chuffed you have a brought a baby with a sick bug.

HeadfirstForHalos Thu 11-Aug-11 17:32:39

Go, he hasn't been sick since Tuesday and you can always come home if he gets worse.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 11-Aug-11 17:35:14

I'd be worried about being sick myself (but perhaps that is just me!)

NormanTebbit Thu 11-Aug-11 17:36:03

pack and sleep on it

MonsterBookOfTysons Thu 11-Aug-11 17:37:02

I would go, if he is ok tonight

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Thu 11-Aug-11 17:37:26

Has he been sick since Tuesday? If not, I'd go, just be prepared to come home if he's not looking any better or seems more miserable not in his own cot - though, I think they're often better to get out a bit and be distracted.

RitaMorgan Thu 11-Aug-11 17:46:21

He hasn't been sick at all since Tuesday night so not sure if he'd be infectious. He just doesn't seem quite right - last night he slept 7pm-8pm, wouldn't settle in his cot so got up with us, slept 11pm-2am then was up til 6am. Very unlike him as he usually doesn't want out of his cot from bedtime til morning. He's slept about 7 hours on and off today though.

Could be teething, he's quite red cheeked and was pulling at his ears earlier.

It would be difficult to go a day late as we are getting a coach there, so would have to take the train on Saturday and cart all our stuff - that's a possibility though.

The bfing issue is more that I would be incredibly sore after 3 days of not feeding - ds would be fine without me.

JanMorrow Thu 11-Aug-11 17:50:38

I'd say, unless he gets worse overnight, go. Take some calpol and some teething gel/rings to chew on etc if you think it's teetching.. you can always come home if he's ill.

Pandemoniaa Thu 11-Aug-11 17:53:14

As someone who had a son who was "eary", have you checked whether he's got an ear infection? It's very common for little ones to be sick when brewing up ear problems because of the effect that these infections have on their balance. The pulling at ears was always a sure sign that ds1 was about to come down with another infection so I'd suggest a quick visit to the doctor.

If it is an ear infection, once you get some antibiotics down the child they usually pick up really quickly. However, you probably wouldn't want a full blown ear infection to get going at a festival (speaks as person who had to deal with burst eardrums on a narrowboat somewhere on the Oxford Canal)

RitaMorgan Thu 11-Aug-11 17:59:07

Shit, if it's an ear infection it'll be a problem. Not sure if we can get to the doctor in the morning.

He just woke up miserable, but a piece of cake and cbeebies seems to have perked him right up.

gapants Thu 11-Aug-11 18:00:43

Call out the locum

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Thu 11-Aug-11 18:00:59

Has he just had his injections - say 10 days ago'ish??

scarletfingernail Thu 11-Aug-11 18:04:19

Second getting his ears checked out. My DS was sick through an ear infection when he was a baby. If it was a sickness bug he'd more than likely be back to normal by now, they seem to get over them pretty quick once the sickness has actually stopped.

Give your out of hours doctor a call and try and get him seen tonight. He might need some anti-biotics which will make him feel better more or less straight away.

CamperFan Thu 11-Aug-11 18:04:41

Ear infections are 98% likely to be viral and usually clear up on their own. If your DP is fine with it and DS won't mind you not bfing, can you not take a breast pump with you? The thought of camping with a poorly baby makes me shudder, esp at a festival. If he really perks up then perhaps they can fund a way to join you. I would LOVE to go to a festival on my own, sigh.

CamperFan Thu 11-Aug-11 18:05:09

Viral - no antibiotics needed

Pandemoniaa Thu 11-Aug-11 18:05:20

I hate to have spread despond! It's just that the symptoms of ds1's ear infections were so similar to that of your LO. He started by being sick, then went all off-colour in not terribly specific ways other than being just not himself, although red cheeks always featured. He developed a very disturbed sleep pattern - he was normally an excellent sleeper - which combined lengthy naps at peculiar times (and huge grumpiness on waking) and broken nights.

Could you get him over to your doctor this evening, perhaps?

VelveteenRabbit Thu 11-Aug-11 18:06:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RitaMorgan Thu 11-Aug-11 18:09:30

No jabs yet, due next week.

DP is on the phone to a walk-in centre now to see if we can bring him in...

babybear77 Thu 11-Aug-11 18:14:51

Antibiotics not appropriate generally as most are viral and they do not "make them feel better straight away." They may shorten illness by 24h but at the risk of side effects. I generally don't prescribe. Personally I wouldn't go.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: