Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what hands free soap dispensers are for?

(18 Posts)
donteatyourteawithnoknickerson Thu 11-Aug-11 13:41:38

Is it just me? You go to the sink with dirty hands. Wet said hands, pump the soap to get it out then wash said hands clean. never having to dirty your hands again by touching the pump.

I get it in a hospital etc because of the need to dispense an exact amount for cost effectiveness etc - but at home? Is it not a bit weird?

fanjobanjowanjo Thu 11-Aug-11 13:44:49

I agree totally! I say this every time I see them - they are POINTLESS as you wash your hands anyway!

BeyondTheLimitsOfAcceptability Thu 11-Aug-11 13:44:50

Very weird

But I'm of the opinion that soap is self-cleaning anyway grin

emptyshell Thu 11-Aug-11 13:45:51

I could see one real use for them - if you've ever seen a school toilet when a class have been doing something like handprinting... if it's red paint it looks like CSI material and you spend the next week hiding from the cleaner and caretaker.

Other than that - feeding the paranoia industry. Obviously seems to work.

StrandedBear Thu 11-Aug-11 13:45:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 11-Aug-11 13:46:19

Handy for people with weak hands I suppose.

LordOfTheFlies Thu 11-Aug-11 13:47:01

They are:
because I got one at Costco on special offer

They keep my grubby offspring away from my L'Occitane liquid soap

anything which encourages my soap-swerver 11 yoDS to wash his hands is okay by me.

But other than that-they are a gimmick but better than sharing a bar of soap- Bleurgh!

fluffyanimal Thu 11-Aug-11 13:47:12

Oh so glad someone has had the sense to call emperor's new clothes on this one. It's been bugging me for ages.

SilveryMoon Thu 11-Aug-11 13:51:33

I don't get it either, all that about reducing the risk of spreading germs, what complete crap.
My hands are dirty every time I touch the soap pump, or I wouldn't need to wash my hands, so.......................
dirty hands - turn on taps
dirty hands - rinse under water
dirty hands - touch soap dispenser
wash hands with soap and rinse under water. hands are now clean.
Clean hands - turn off dirty taps, putting previous germs back on your hands, making washing your hands pointless confused

Marymaryalittlecontrary Thu 11-Aug-11 14:12:59

I think this has been discussed before and the general consensus was that they are very useful for disabled people who find it difficult to use a normal dispenser. Other than that they are pointless!

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 11-Aug-11 14:13:59

i think they are great for people who may have only one hand, easier than trying to squirt soap of of the traditinol soap pumps

wildfig Thu 11-Aug-11 14:38:51

If you position it next to anything with overhanging bits, like a plant on your windowsill, it dollops soap.
If you move it by grabbing under the sensor, it dollops soap.
If you wave your hands underneath and think it's run out and move your hands away, it waits a sarcastic 2 seconds, then dollops soap.

Voila. You have used up your container of liquid soap twice as fast as normal and need to go and buy a new one. Genius!

Yes, I am sick of cleaning up gobbets of solidifying Green Tea and Jasmine liquid soap.

biddysmama Thu 11-Aug-11 14:47:42

to make the manufacturers more money...

Beepazoid Thu 11-Aug-11 14:47:43

Oh, donteat, i agree with you wholeheartedly...the fact that we're not all dropping dead from dysentry suggests that we don't need them at all.

Any bacteria that you'd 're-infect' yourself with would be neglible, so don't tie yourselves up in knots, cos it's pointless and you're allowing yourselves to be manipulated by clever advertising.

And don't get me started on the new 'bacteria killing' Vanish...people have finally just come around to washing their clothes at 40 degrees, yet the good people that manufacture Vanish have decided to play on people's daft neuroses. It drives me crackers!!

Kayano Thu 11-Aug-11 15:49:25

I am staying at friends who have one, I leaned over the sink and you guessed it... Ended up with cucumber dettol in my hair

Argh!!!!

mrsdonkeybucket Thu 11-Aug-11 15:50:23

Hands-free soap dispensers = you have too much money to waste.

grin

donteatyourteawithnoknickerson Thu 11-Aug-11 17:39:48

I am so glad I am not the only one smile

DH ia getting completely fed up with me going on and on about what a waste they are - now I know I am sane really!

wildfig Thu 11-Aug-11 17:44:34

They are totally a cleaning product designed for men to buy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: