loader

Talk

Advanced search

Most women aren't pretty: Julie Burchill

(97 Posts)
revolutionscoop Thu 11-Aug-11 11:01:48

With apologies in advance for linking to the DailyHeil;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2024655/Face-ladies-NEVER-pretty.html
AIBU in thinking Burchill's got a point?

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Thu 11-Aug-11 11:03:00

Well she certainly isn't. Inside or out.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 11-Aug-11 11:04:00

Burchill's scraping the barrel with this one, isn't she? Is there nothing genuinely controversial going on that she has to state the bleedin' obvious?

squeakytoy Thu 11-Aug-11 11:04:32

Julie Burchills only point is that she gets paid for writing articles... she has always come across as a bitter person anyway.

Ephiny Thu 11-Aug-11 11:07:11

I think she has a point. I don't think I'm especially pretty or 'beautiful', I'm fairly normal-looking, and that's absolutely fine with me. Don't really think about it much.

RollingInTheAisles Thu 11-Aug-11 11:07:15

I think she's right in some ways but totally misses the point and undermines herself in others. For a start, she wasn't unattractive when she was younger but pretty average. And so she's basically saying, hardly anyone really is beautiful, oh but I was of course.

Then, the stuff about Christina Aguilera's song - I don't think the message of that is 'you must be conventionally beautiful and by the way you really are'. I think the message is 'you're beautiful just the way you are', I don't think it's an unrealistic message, more of a celebrating the differences of people and having confidence in yourself message.

Finally, I think it's totally fine if you do want to be casual about your appearance but for a lot of people, especially women, making the effort to make the best of yourself is confidence enhancing. I don't think it is about being naturally beautiful, more just a pride related to feeling good about yourself.

wildstrawberryplace Thu 11-Aug-11 11:07:41

Arf at "I used to be a looker" - she looks like Christopher Hitchens in drag in the photos of her in her 20s.

<feels guilty at coming on thread purely to denigrate JBs personal appearance>

Callisto Thu 11-Aug-11 11:08:02

I think that most women are pretty or attractive and the spectrum is huge. The plastic, air-brushed, hairless ideal is few and far between (thank God), but I know and see loads and loads of good-looking women (and men).

I also think that Burchill is full of shit most of the time and she is true to form with this article.

diddl Thu 11-Aug-11 11:08:20

Well it´s all subjective, isn´t it?

TBH, I would think there are very few women who I don´t think are pretty.

Now, drop dead gorgeous-I don´t know many of thosesmile

Ephiny Thu 11-Aug-11 11:08:50

I think the article was a bit confused though and not sure I properly understood exactly what point she was making overall!

michelleseashell Thu 11-Aug-11 11:10:40

Julie Burchill's writing is an insult to the alphabet.

squeakytoy Thu 11-Aug-11 11:13:51

I agree Ephiny, I have just read it a second time, and I am still not sure what actual point she is trying to make with her disjointed paragraphs. It is such a "nothing" article.

pictish Thu 11-Aug-11 11:14:35

"I used to be a looker"

Think she's deluding herself, just as she scathingly accuses women of doing in her article there. The pic of her is certainly far from ugly...but a looker? Nah. Sorry Jules.

DandyGilver Thu 11-Aug-11 11:14:37

Julie Burchill is bonkers and always has been.

Although I think she may be one of the very few women who have never had a moment's self doubt in her life. Not necessarily a good thing.

How many children has she had and walked away from, is it 2 or 3?

AbsDuCroissant Thu 11-Aug-11 11:14:42

Yeah, I think she's a bit deluded if she's saying she was beautiful when she was 25. She wasn't. and she was wearing too much make up <bitchy>

Miggsie Thu 11-Aug-11 11:15:21

I assume tomorrow there will be a "most men are ugly" article?

carminagoesprimal Thu 11-Aug-11 11:16:41

I love her - even though she is ugly.

AlpinePony Thu 11-Aug-11 11:20:23

First time I've ever agreed with anything she's written.

LareyLaptopLover Thu 11-Aug-11 11:22:43

why are you reading the daily mail anyway if you consider it so beneath you?

With apologies in advance for linking to the DailyHeil;

SevenAgainstThebes Thu 11-Aug-11 11:22:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

southeastastra Thu 11-Aug-11 11:26:08

it's a refreshing read to the usual tripe, one other article on there 'i'm happy i'm now invisible' hmm sure you are dear

PonceyMcPonce Thu 11-Aug-11 11:26:41

I cannot open the article, but would agree that most women are not 'pretty'.

Little girls and teenagers are often pretty. Actual full grown women are mostly attractive, healthy looking, smiley, pleasant, sexy some are beautiful, some are homely, some are actually plain.

I don't think I have ever met an ugly woman. I think even those who have deformity, or skin problem, would not count as ugly.

Pretty is a bit of an insipid word.

Morloth Thu 11-Aug-11 11:29:22

Surely pretty much everyone is 'average' with perhaps extremes at either end.

There is also the 'eye of the beholder' thing. I am not 'pretty' but my DH thinks I am hot shit. Same goes for him, he is big, hairy, often smelly and with a nose that has seen too many elbows, but I think he is just yummy.

revolutionscoop Thu 11-Aug-11 11:29:25

Interesting logic, larey smile

MsAnnThroppy Thu 11-Aug-11 11:39:45

IMO, the term "beautiful" has been hijacked by the beauty industry (by which I mean fashion, cosmetics and cosmetic surgery, weight control companies) to mean skinny, flawless, symmetrical and forever young. That way, we'll forever carry on consuming their products and trying (and failing) to attain the holy grail.

Imperfections are what make people beautiful, unique and interesting. I was looking at one of my DD's friends this morning. She is going grow up to be one of those people you will not be able to take your eyes off, there's just something about her that lights up a room. She has a scar, which I think may be a corrected hair lip. It got me thinking of that thread recently where the poster's "friend" had referred to a similar scar cruelly. I hope this little girl never gets that treatment. Scars, blemishes, wonky noses, these are what make you arresting and interesting, it's all part of the history of you. Why air brush that out for an idiot's idea of "pretty".

JB is a complete narcissistic idiot who used to state that fat people should be killed - before she became on herself, of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now