Talk

Advanced search

to think that ON BALANCE, girls should be given the contraceptive implant at fourteen unless their parents opt out.

(162 Posts)
holyShmoley Thu 11-Aug-11 10:01:44

i used to think very differently, and from a feminists perspective I can rip this to shreds myself.
But but but i still think that it would be better, on balance.

5inthebed Thu 11-Aug-11 10:03:55

Why?

birdofthenorth Thu 11-Aug-11 10:03:56

Great way to eliminate teen pregnancy...

Also a great way to encourage an epidemic of teen STDs!!

And, YABU, from most political perspectives, not just feminism

BertieBotts Thu 11-Aug-11 10:04:16

Haha! When I was a teenager and learned vasectomies were reversible I thought all boys should have one at around the same age, and they could reverse it when they were older if they wanted to.

AuntieMonica Thu 11-Aug-11 10:04:26

because it's all about the girls isn't it?

what rubbish, honestly, what rubbish.

and would you care to elaborate as to why you have come to this laughable statement?

sassyTHEFIRST Thu 11-Aug-11 10:05:14

Bollocks. What a foolish statement.

BertieBotts Thu 11-Aug-11 10:05:42

(I don't think that any more BTW)

StrandedBear Thu 11-Aug-11 10:06:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ImperialBlether Thu 11-Aug-11 10:07:20

Nice way for the boys to abdicate all responsibility, isn't it?

And what about girls who are not ready for sex - they've always been able to say they are worried about getting pregnant - you're now suggesting they won't have this get-out clause?

TotalChaos Thu 11-Aug-11 10:07:40

yabvu. and aside from the other ethical issues, why on earth should the parents' consent be relevant instead of the young women's? btw if you have ever spent time in a family planning clinic they are v keen to push the long acting forms in any case, whatever you have gone in for (even my GP, was trying to push the depo or coil on me last time I went in hmm)

ImperialBlether Thu 11-Aug-11 10:08:07

StrandedBear - is the IUD not suitable for you?

MovingtoSolihull Thu 11-Aug-11 10:08:35

Crikey. What a wierd thing to think....

Do you have a 14 year old per chance ?

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 11-Aug-11 10:09:16

yes that is a great idea OP pump a load of hormones into already hormonal teenagers hmm not to mention that it doesn't deal with the issue of STDs...

coppertop Thu 11-Aug-11 10:11:04

It sends the message that contraception is the woman's responsibility.

No protection against STDs.

Not everyone is suited to hormone-based contraception.

Not all 14yr-olds are having sex.

And that's just for starters...

YABU

LolaRennt Thu 11-Aug-11 10:11:32

AuntieMonica it is notoriously difficult to super glue a condom to a boys penis. It does make girls the easier target I'm afraid.

YABU op, I think more teenagers are afraid of pregnancy STDs and we would have a horrible rise if kids didn't think pregnancy was a factor.

On a personal note though, if dd (this is a long way off for me) ever admitted she was having sex I would drag her ass down to the family planning center and get her an implant. Hopefully I will raise her to be sensible enough about STDs though that she will know she needs to use condoms too.

StrikeUpTheBand Thu 11-Aug-11 10:12:01

YABVU - hormonal methods do not work at all well for some people. Especially problematic with the implant and progesterone only pill for many - some have suicidal mood swings, some have constant bleeding. Not to mention the feminist angle.

StrandedBear Thu 11-Aug-11 10:12:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LolaRennt Thu 11-Aug-11 10:13:06

are afraid of pregnancy more than STDs

AmberLeaf Thu 11-Aug-11 10:13:28

YABVVVVU

TanteAC Thu 11-Aug-11 10:13:29

Er, no.

Next!

TimeWasting Thu 11-Aug-11 10:16:17

YABVU, contraceptive hormones can be very damaging to many women.

It should be available to them, if they are fully aware of the potential downsides, but what about STDs? Or is potential illness, infertility and death a small price to pay to bring down teenage pregnancy rates?

insanityscatching Thu 11-Aug-11 10:16:22

Why? dd is 18 and only recently started needing contraception. Had she needed it before she would have confided in me and I would have helped her. Far better I think that parents foster close and open relationships with their daughters and bolster their self esteem so that they don't feel pressured into underage sex IMO.

stretch Thu 11-Aug-11 10:17:04

coppertop exactly what you said!

It's like giving 14 year olds a free reign to go out and have sex. I know that for most of my age group (am 29 now) the fear of getting pregnant and catching a 'disease' was the main thing stopping both female and males having sex.

TubbyDuffs Thu 11-Aug-11 10:19:28

Are you insane?

stretch Thu 11-Aug-11 10:22:28

More sex education, more advice about domestic violence, more advice on different forms of contraception and perhaps even a (anonymous) test* each lesson will help combat it. Only in the long view though, not going to happen overnight.

I know that my 9 year old has pretty much done little-to-no sex ed. I find this shocking as all the kids know about sex**, some spouting quite harmful things!

*I mean in a way to see how much of the class has understood the lesson.
**I do teach my child sex ed, I don't leave it all to the school, but I think they are better equipped to deal with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now