Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what IS racist?

(82 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Thu 11-Aug-11 09:09:27

So, had a row with dbs bil the other day over his FB status. He was saying that the rioters and looters were immigrants and shoud fuck off back to their own country. I told him they weren't, the majority were english to which he replied that they were all "pakis and rag heads", now this isn't the first time and I usually just ignore him because he doesn't normally appear on my feed. But I called him a racist cunt his replies were just lovely including I should be burnt alive, but I digress.

His daft wife got involved and hurled a load of abuse at me and the lovely mners who backed me up when she followed me onto my own page. I tried yesterday to draw a line under it for db and sil's sake, but she has been abusive again, hey ho. But when I said "look, I'm not arguing with some 20yr old little girl and her racist husband" she was still insistent that he's not racist.

How is someone who moans about p@kis and n*ggers not racist? How is it not racist to say that all muslims or "r@g heads" should go back to their own country? Or that the only english people are white and can trace their famillies back in england over a hundred years?

Wtf is wrong with some people?

Pootles2010 Thu 11-Aug-11 09:11:19

She's thick. You can't argue with people like that - it's like arguing with a drunk. Totally pointless.

qwerky Thu 11-Aug-11 09:14:36

I agree with Pootles, there is no reasoning with people like that.
I de-friend people on FB whose views are radically different to mine, life's too short to be wound up by idiots like that!

thestringcheeseincident Thu 11-Aug-11 09:15:57

dear god, they sound dreadful.
just de-friend them on f/book. I would.

EuphemiaMcGonagall Thu 11-Aug-11 09:16:52

Pointless talking to them - they're too stupid and stubborn to even see your point of view, far less agree with you.

I went through the same with people when I was a teenager, arguing about racism, sexism, homophobia, apartheid, etc. - total waste of time! All we can do is educate ourselves and our children; pig-headed adults are never going to change.

woollyideas Thu 11-Aug-11 09:22:00

Defriend them on Faceboook and then defriend them in real life. Don't bother trying to 'convert' them - they sound too stupid to see beyond their prejudices. You are unlikely to change their minds.

OracleInaCoracle Thu 11-Aug-11 09:24:10

Oh, I defriended. Just didn't want to make things too awful for db and sil. she isn't the brightest and incapable of independant thought. It just got me thinking, do all racists deny being so? What do they think the word means? Are you only racist if you burn crosses ffs?

MrGin Thu 11-Aug-11 09:27:54

It's just ignorance and stupidity on their part fuelled by certain tabloids. Ignorance breeds contempt. They probably sit at home and tell each other how right they are.

People who say ' they should go back to where the came from ' are clearly not thinkers.

itisnearlysummer Thu 11-Aug-11 09:29:18

What's wrong with them? They're stupid! Absolutely pointless to say anything. Agree, just defriend.

WRT the only english people are white and can trace their famillies back in england over a hundred years?

My family and I 'look' English. We're all white (of varying shades!), we were all born here, we all speak English but we wouldn't all be able to trace our ancestry back in this country over a hundred years. Our heritage is European, both Western and Eastern, but we're not only English.

I imagine many white English people would fall into this category!

MrGin Thu 11-Aug-11 09:33:38

A fair amount of genealogy research / theory put all of us on an ancestral path back to Africa. Evolution sends us back to single cell organisms via apes..

( unless your a creationist of course )

bubblesincoffee Thu 11-Aug-11 09:38:09

They are obviously racist, and thick as shit.

OldMacEIEIO Thu 11-Aug-11 09:39:03

What is racist ?
The problem is that the meaning of the word has been twisted and undermined by the looney left, as a way to close down debate.
In the true sense of the term, it describes people who see one race as being superior to another (which they are not imo)
so therefore its not racist to say immigrants go home
but it is racist to say immigrants go home because you are sub human.

Of course nowadays, even if you ask for a black coffee, or sing baa baa black sheep, you are liable to get dirty looks from the loony left element.

itisnearlysummer Thu 11-Aug-11 09:43:28

yeah I remember in the mid 80s my dad coming home from work one day saying that they were no longer able to ask if people took their tea/coffee black or white but 'with or without milk'.

I still drink my coffee black and my milk white though.

fedupofnamechanging Thu 11-Aug-11 09:44:54

I think nationality and race/ethnic origin are two different things. Racially, I am different to someone who is of Chinese or African descent. If I was born in China I wouldn't be Chinese in terms of ethnicity, but if I was raised there, held Chinese citizenship, felt that my cultural upbringing had been Chinese, then in terms of nationality I would be Chinese.

My dh's cousins were born in Korea and racially are Asian. However, they've been raised in Denmark and so their nationality is Danish. It's what they feel themselves to be, because that's the culture they've been raised in. Although they feel a connection to Korea, because it's where their roots are.

So, for me nationality is what you feel yourself to be. Race is just a question of genetics. My dh views himself more as European, because his parents came from two different countries. My children view themselves as Welsh, because they were born in Wales, even though I am English.

Your family are wrong to say these people are not British - unless the people concerned would not call themselves British. I think it's about what you feel yourself to be.

EuphemiaMcGonagall Thu 11-Aug-11 09:46:00

OldMac The loony left element? Who are they then? hmm

OldMacEIEIO Thu 11-Aug-11 09:47:16

euphemia,

they will be along shortly wink

fedupofnamechanging Thu 11-Aug-11 09:48:51

Haven't actually answered your question. Racist, is when you hate someone solely on the grounds of their ethnic origin. If they are the same race and you hate them because they are from a different country, that's xenophobia. It's also thinking that one ethnic origin is inherently superior another.

CupcakesandTwunting Thu 11-Aug-11 09:48:52

Ask them if they would say this stuff to a black person. If the answer is no, ask them why.

People like this wind me right the fuck up. Send them a link to this group. wink

P.S I did see what was happening on your FB status, Lissie. I wanted to wade in with my ten pence worth but I was on my BlackBerry and it kept crashing. sad

InTheNightKitchen Thu 11-Aug-11 09:49:50

The funny thing is, it was mostly muslim communities, (turkish and pakistani) that were the first to go out on the streets in numbers to stop the looters and protect their businesses and homes.

Thereby confounding the expectations of many racists who were hoping to have a new reason to complain about the pakis and the ragheads.

OracleInaCoracle Thu 11-Aug-11 09:52:28

Oldmac, I'm a loony lefty. The whole "political correctness gone mad" argument is ridiculous. If it were true, why are there so many penises like this fella left in the world? His isn't an unusual view, I've never heard a racist admit to being racist, because they don't think there is anything wrong with their views and attitudes.

CupcakesandTwunting Thu 11-Aug-11 09:55:23

I LOVE being called a loony lefty. Makes me feel I'm doing something right. Also love being called a "do-gooder". Ooh, no, don't like them do-gooders, what we need is more DO-BADDERS.

FFS.

InTheNightKitchen Thu 11-Aug-11 09:56:48

I was at a toddler group last Friday where black and white dads, along with black, white and several mixed race children, joined together in lustily singing 'Baa Baa Black Sheep'. Luckily no elements of the loony left were there, otherwise we'd have been tutted at lynched.

No wait, that part is just your fantasy OldMacEIEIO. Is it some form of jealousy or prejudice against other nursery rhymes? Do you also worry about foreign nursery rhymes such as Frere Jacques taking your job and jumping the queue for council housing?

OracleInaCoracle Thu 11-Aug-11 09:58:43

Cupcakes grin you're right we need more people who don't care and don't think they should stand up for others! And thank you. I'm a bit upset for db though.

OracleInaCoracle Thu 11-Aug-11 09:58:44

Cupcakes grin you're right we need more people who don't care and don't think they should stand up for others! And thank you. I'm a bit upset for db though.

wicketkeeper Thu 11-Aug-11 09:58:53

I got talking to one of the kids I teach - her cousin is in the same class, so I asked if they shared the same grandparents. She said yes, they live in Damascus. So I asked if that was where she'd come from originally. Oh no, she said, we're from Bulgaria. It's a global world out there, and the sooner we get our heads around it the better. The idiots who divide people into two groups - 'from here' and 'not from here', are living in the dark ages. It's so much more complicated and interesting than that.
And as far as the riots are concerned, I don't buy the idea that it's a race issue at all. I don't know the figures (doubt if anyone does), but I saw very many white faces in the crowds. I also don't buy the idea that it's a poverty issue (everyone seemed to have a fancy phone and the latest hoody). The only thing that all the people involved had in common, it seemed to me, was that they really were that stupid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now