Talk

Advanced search

to have brought cheap tea bags for when the outlaws come over?

(85 Posts)
AmandaB22 Wed 10-Aug-11 18:37:48

before i had dc they never came over, now they are over all the time ~(and never less than 4 at a time ) and always demand a cup of tea for every person.

I like to have a cuppa once a day (bf'ing) so buy twinings everyday bags, anyhoo i only had 4 tea bags (after buying a new box 3 weeks ago) left and they text to say they where coming over and did we want them to bring anything, i said tea bags and washing up liquid (dp works away so its a pain to just pop out for tea bags). they said no they would not buy them!!

Soooo i brought them sainsburys basic and me twinings...............=D childish,maybe.......satisfying,yes!

chicletteeth Wed 10-Aug-11 18:38:56

Cheap or cheaper?

YABU if the former, but not if the latter

FetchezLaVache Wed 10-Aug-11 18:39:32

Yanbu!! What possible reason could they have had for refusing to pick up a box on the way?

AnotherJaffaCake Wed 10-Aug-11 18:40:24

YANBU! Completely understandable, and I bet they won't even notice.

G1nger Wed 10-Aug-11 18:40:36

Why did they say no? Perhaps they expected you to pay for anything they brought? I think that's reasonable - so long as they give you warning that they're coming, you have to play host. But no one said you have to provide special teabags ;)

chicletteeth Wed 10-Aug-11 18:41:00

Just read the bit about them asking and saying no, in which case YANBU grin I hope they enjoy their dishwater tea

DontGoCurly Wed 10-Aug-11 18:41:32

They refused to buy teabags?

Bloody skinflints! I drink about 10 -20 cups of tea a day and I wouldn't DARE wear down someone elses stash! Cheeky lot angry

Yadnbu

LeoTheLateBloomer Wed 10-Aug-11 18:42:04

Why would they offer to bring something and then refuse to bring tea bags and washing up liquid? confused

bubblesincoffee Wed 10-Aug-11 18:43:22

YANBU!

Why on earth wouldn't they buy them? I would have text them back and say that actually, it's not convenient for them to come.

Yabu..... for not buying asda smartprice wink

Even my stingy BIL concluded they were a step too far.

MadameLupino Wed 10-Aug-11 18:45:55

What in the name of mud were they expecting you to ask them to bring? If tea and washing up liquid were a no-no, what would have been acceptable?
They are clearly loons. YABU to give them tea at all grin

ImperialBlether Wed 10-Aug-11 18:46:00

If they didn't bring the tea bags, I wouldn't have given them a drink.

But when they asked whether they should bring something, what did they mean if not groceries?

I wouldn't want them round all the time, not if they couldn't be bothered before the baby was born. Can't you be busy?

bubblesincoffee Wed 10-Aug-11 18:46:04

On second thoughts, you should have let them come, made sure you had a fresh brew when the doorbell went, then offered them tap water, as you have no tea bags left.

Soups Wed 10-Aug-11 18:46:09

Why? Why on earth would they offer, then say no?? Very odd!!

I'd let them come over, hide your stash, and when they want tea say you've run out grin

AmandaB22 Wed 10-Aug-11 18:47:24

im guessing they did not think i would say "yes please can you pick us up some...."? when my son was in hospital they came over and during one afternoon drank my entire (full to bursting) tea container worth of tea! who the feck drinks that much tea! (or maybe they took them?)

plupervert Wed 10-Aug-11 18:47:57

They sound pretty unreasonable for refusing to buy teabags!

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 10-Aug-11 18:49:00

say i am out of tea bags, so sorry i can't make tea smile

FutureNannyOgg Wed 10-Aug-11 18:49:15

YANBU. If they refused to buy them, then I would have claimed to be all out and not made them tea.

plupervert Wed 10-Aug-11 18:49:46

The idea of them sneaking out with pockets full of teabags s a great one. Imagine if they got caught in the rain! grin

AmandaB22 Wed 10-Aug-11 18:50:47

plupervert that made me chuckle!!

purplepidjin Wed 10-Aug-11 18:51:06

YANBU

Picking up groceries when visiting new mum's is de rigeuer. Actually, i often picked up a pint of milk on the way to my mate's before she had a baby, simply because I was passing the shop. Why on earth would you not unless you were a total fruit loop? confused

ZonkedOut Wed 10-Aug-11 18:53:04

How rude to ask if you want them to bring something, then refuse when you take them up on it! It's not like you asked for a 50" plasma TV.

I would have said I'd run out, except for the 4 decaf ones you've got because you're BF.

EuphemiaMcGonagall Wed 10-Aug-11 18:53:07

Bastards! Offer them a glass of water.

Poshbaggirl Wed 10-Aug-11 18:53:36

You should have said you'd run out. 'well i did ask you to pick some up' There are some right weirdos out there. Keep the shit tea for them, but keep the box open so they get a bit old tasting.

DizzyKipper Wed 10-Aug-11 18:53:48

Why did they ask if you needed anything if they weren't prepared to buy it for you? YANBU, and getting them the sainsburys basics did make me chuckle wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now