Talk

Advanced search

To drink more than one damn glass of wine whilst BFing? Perhaps several?

(63 Posts)
wellamI1981 Wed 10-Aug-11 18:08:34

Have had a bit of a shitter to be fair. All the normal trials and tribulations of being a new mum, PND, mastitis yada yada. Am going out tonight with DH for a meal. DS is four months old and EBF. I do have a glass of wine on a night but never more than that and tonight just really fancy, ooh, say 3 glasses. Is that too much to ask? Please God all say I should. I'm a woman on the edge. P.s. DS will not take a bottle and so there is a distinct possibility I will be BFing whilst tipsy/drunk.

LargeGlassofRed Wed 10-Aug-11 18:11:29

You'll be fine only a very very small amount gets through to breastmilk, enjoy yourself.

MotherPanda Wed 10-Aug-11 18:14:23

you know... i've found that when i drink wine it makes DD's nappies smell really funny...

other than that, i can't see any major drawbacks. Enjoy smile

AgentZigzag Wed 10-Aug-11 18:15:23

It won't make you feel any better <<sactimonious twat>>

grin

Have a great time, and try and switch off rather than worrying about anything/everything.

LeonieDeSaintVire Wed 10-Aug-11 18:15:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Wed 10-Aug-11 18:16:20

I would be worried about sleeping too deeply..

Mobly Wed 10-Aug-11 18:16:47

Can you time the feeds so that he has a big feed, then you have wine, and then next feed is much much later giving the alcohol time to leave your bloodstream?

Do you mean 3 large glasses (250ml) or 3 small (175ml or less)?

I think 3 large glasses is too much but that does depend on baby's feeding patterns really. You can work out how many units you intend on having and then work out how long it takes to leave bloodstream. It's OK for baby to get a bit in the breastmilk but too much is harmful obviously.

naturalbaby Wed 10-Aug-11 18:16:51

i've had one and a bit but can't bring myself to have more. i thought the level of alcohol matched your blood alcohol level? maybe drink all 3 glasses straight away? wink

i was a woman on the edge a couple of weeks ago and turned to chocolate and cake.

shmoz Wed 10-Aug-11 18:19:54

It will be fine, get it down you. Enjoy grin

whostolemyname Wed 10-Aug-11 18:21:33

As long as you don't bedshare ...enjoy your night out

BertieBotts Wed 10-Aug-11 18:21:40

YANBU - breastmilk is like blood, so it would be like someone drinking your blood and expecting to get drunk off it!

Kellymom has some good info, with sources

coccyx Wed 10-Aug-11 18:21:46

3 is too many. yrbu

BertieBotts Wed 10-Aug-11 18:22:14

Agree no co-sleeping though! smile

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 10-Aug-11 18:23:18

3 large glasses of wine = a whole bottle of 70cl wine plus 50ml spare.

i wouldn't even drink that amount if i was in sole care of my DC, as i would be too drunk.

HandMini Wed 10-Aug-11 18:24:41

I have had two decent sized glasses and then BF on several occasions. Given how little one generally drinks during pregnancy and feeding that is enough to get me pretty happy/tipsy. I agree that more of a concern is looking after baby, but your instints will all still be there so just feed carefully and don't cosleep afterwards. Enjoy and hope your PND and mastitis are behind you now.

AgentZigzag Wed 10-Aug-11 18:25:02

The OPs not said she's going to be in sole care of her DS AuntieP.

TheSecondComing Wed 10-Aug-11 18:25:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AgentZigzag Wed 10-Aug-11 18:26:03

What kind of meal are you going out for wellamI?

Just out of pure nosiness grin

CailinDana Wed 10-Aug-11 18:26:26

The issue really isn't the breastmilk, it's more if you're going to be feeding him late at night, especially while lying down. As others have said I'd be worried about being a bit wobbly and not confident about holding him/supporting him properly or even falling asleep in an awkward position.

If you haven't had much wine lately chances are three glasses will send to the wonderland of swirls and puke. Take it easy, have two desserts (soakage) and two small glasses of wine grin

chicletteeth Wed 10-Aug-11 18:27:32

YANBU.
You'd have to drink enough to kill you before it would be at any reasonably level in you milk to adversely affect DC.

That said, someone should be sober(ish) to deal with any issues that may arise (poorly baby, restless night etc...)

wellamI1981 Wed 10-Aug-11 18:27:59

Thanks for your responses - DH is in sole charge of DS this evening. I am a mere lactater!

chicletteeth Wed 10-Aug-11 18:29:06

Enjoy your night.
grin

More than a glass, less than a bottle is a good rule. DH and I frequently share a bottle on a Friday and or Saturday smile

Whatmeworry Wed 10-Aug-11 18:34:17

Half a bottle should be fine.....longer you wait to bf the better.

Oblomov Wed 10-Aug-11 18:35:32

I don't think you need to worry. Everyone is different. I can drink alot of alcohol and not get drunk. I can easily drink 3 large glasses, on a night out. we were at a wedding, and I wasn't even tipsy. Dh said there was literally a few minutes where I was a tiny bit more giggly than normal,and then that was it. taxi home, sober as a judge. And yet I don't drink that often. I can go weeks or months without a drink. and then go to 2 big drinking parties, in a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now