Advanced search

To think we shouldnt have to pay this (csa)

(41 Posts)
doesthisseemright Wed 10-Aug-11 16:18:36

Dsd is 2 now going to be living with us 5 nights and at her mum's 2 nights a week. Previously it was the other way and we paid full csa requirements as we were not the RP.

She is doing this as she will be going to college this year and its closer to us. it will be like this for the whole year as she also does some work close to us, so no change on holidays.

Now she will live here in the week but they want to still call her mother's her residence.

I checked the csa calculator and it says that we would still have to pay a certain sum each week.

Now I dont understand why, given the mum never had to pay us for the 2 days when it was the reverse.

<suitably confused>

celebmum Wed 10-Aug-11 16:21:41

I have no experience with CSA but this doesn't sound right to me either, is there a helpline you can call?
Also if DSD is at college & working how old? At what age do CSA payments cease? smile

bubblesincoffee Wed 10-Aug-11 16:22:11

The Mum still has to maintain a residence big enough to house your dsd doesn't she?

It's not like she can now go and rent a bedsit to get her bills down just because her dd will be living with you during the week.

I don't know how much csa her DF paid for her before, but unless he earned a LOT of money, there is a very strong chance he didn't actually pay half of what it genuinely costs to house and clothe and feed his dd, as well as pay for the childcare his ex provided.

doesthisseemright Wed 10-Aug-11 16:23:32

bubbles she lives with her husband and othert children so im sure that having one teenager not in the house will moe liely reduce her phone, food and electricity bills.

BooyHoo Wed 10-Aug-11 16:23:48

well if it says you have to pay it then you should butwhat idont get is why her mum's house is remaining as her full time residence when it obviously isn't. wy are you/your partner agreeing to that?

BooyHoo Wed 10-Aug-11 16:25:38

surely, she should now be paying you something as you have taken on what she was paying in food and bills etc for the DD.

doesthisseemright Wed 10-Aug-11 16:26:30

I think the key must be in which address is listed . I will look into that.

whackamole Wed 10-Aug-11 16:27:39

Surely the main residence should be changed to yours? She will (presumably) still be able to claim child benefit as well for her, despite her not even living there! Doesn't sound fair to me.

LineRunner Wed 10-Aug-11 16:27:40

Well, she kind of did pay you for the two days (and more) by receiving the csa-determined rate of child support till now. It does actually cost a hell of a lot more than the UK quantum of child support to maintain a house for, and feed, clothe and raise, a child.

doesthisseemright Wed 10-Aug-11 16:29:26

Yes line runner and we will be doing that from now
(and also have always kept a house big enough to house her as well)

doesthisseemright Wed 10-Aug-11 16:31:10

So if the address was changed to ours, we would be called the RP (given we will be 5-6 nights a week) and she would have to pay us?

doesthisseemright Wed 10-Aug-11 16:32:25

We pay her about £250 a month now btw

crazygracieuk Wed 10-Aug-11 16:33:31

She would have received 5/7ths of the going rate of CSA if your h had her for 4 days every fortnight.

I would have thought that you would get 5/7ths and the child benefit/tax credits if you had her 10 days every fortnight and she wants her daughter'smaib residence to be her house so she can keep the child benefit and tax credits.

doesthisseemright Wed 10-Aug-11 16:34:31

Gosh thats confusing

We wouldnt expect her to pay us and wouldnt ask btw...was just confused at the calculation.

ENormaSnob Wed 10-Aug-11 16:35:23

Surely her main residence is now with you and her father?

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Wed 10-Aug-11 16:36:02

My understanding is that if she's with you it would flip over. Is there a reason the mum is not changing it over or have the csa said this to you?

doesthisseemright Wed 10-Aug-11 16:36:47

No reason . I think she just wanted it as the address. Now I understand it will be for child benefit.

LineRunner Wed 10-Aug-11 16:38:24

On the face of it, it would seem the case that your partner will be paying 10% of his income (minus things such as pension contributions), assuming this is his only child. Your income is irrelevant to the CSA's calculations.

If the child was classed as living with you permanently, then the mother would pay 10% of any eligible income that she had. Which sounds like 10% of not a lot. And you would receive the CB but obviously take on all the financial reponsibilities for the child full-time and permanently.

Many parents avoid the CSA precisely to remain more flexible.

NotActuallyAMum Wed 10-Aug-11 16:39:11

If DHs ex tried to pull this stunt she'd be told to P right off!

Seriously - she wants you to pay her £250 a month when she's living with you??

ENormaSnob is right - her residence is now with you and her father!

How old is she? Maintenance stops at age 19 even if they're still in education

farnywarny Wed 10-Aug-11 16:39:22

sounds to me like you are being swizzed by your dp's ex wanting to keep pthe cb and csa but for you to have full time responsibility for their daughter!

LineRunner Wed 10-Aug-11 16:40:11

The OP says 2.

ENormaSnob Wed 10-Aug-11 16:41:11

If she is with you for 5 nights out of 7 then you should be getting any cb and ctc.

Plus her mother should be paying maintenence as she is no longer the rp.

doesthisseemright Wed 10-Aug-11 16:42:40

She is 17 and usually stays 5-6 nights (also as she has friends near, work and college).

doesthisseemright Wed 10-Aug-11 16:43:24

God, i just looked at the apologies, I have no idea where that 2 came from shock

doesthisseemright Wed 10-Aug-11 16:44:19

I wish I could edit that

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: