Talk

Advanced search

To want to travel to family wedding in Hackney this weekend after recent riots?

(32 Posts)
missapphire Wed 10-Aug-11 15:50:35

Message withdrawn

niceguy2 Wed 10-Aug-11 15:57:11

Sounds to me like he's using the riots as a reason for not going because he doesn't want to go and this is just a convenient excuse.

Besides which, why let thugs ruin your family's special day.

missapphire Wed 10-Aug-11 16:01:01

Message withdrawn

Birdsgottafly Wed 10-Aug-11 16:01:55

The trouble is starting to be contained. It depends on where you are staying and where the evening 'do' is.

I agree it would be a shame to let this family event be spoilt.

bubblesincoffee Wed 10-Aug-11 16:04:04

He's using the riots as a very convenient excuse.

It will be over by Saturday most likely, and uless it's kicking off to the extent it was on Monday, you would be being very rude to refuse to go to the wedding at such short notice.

My cousin got married not far from Tottenham last Saturday when the riots began, it was fine.

There is no way I would let down one of my family members, especially at a time like this.

missapphire Wed 10-Aug-11 16:04:35

Message withdrawn

NasalCoffeeEnema Wed 10-Aug-11 16:09:22

I hope you go. Don't let these people win, don't le them ruin this poor couples wedding.

missapphire Wed 10-Aug-11 16:09:32

Message withdrawn

Birdsgottafly Wed 10-Aug-11 16:09:44

Go by what your family is saying, i am sure they would tell you not to come, if there was any risk to you.

NasalCoffeeEnema Wed 10-Aug-11 16:12:27

Well if his excuse is th ebaby then why doesn't he revert to the original plan and he stay at home with dc

I think you should still go. Things seem to have calmed down, and if people don't go to things like weddings and other celebrations because of the rioting then the hooligans have won.

Besides, if it is all booked and paid for then there is nothing to be gained financially by not going.

bubblesincoffee Wed 10-Aug-11 16:12:50

It sounds like your dh is the one being selfish. And pig ignorant, there is a good chance it will all be over by Saturday.

What are his reasons for not wanting to go because of the riots?

When are you planning to fly? Can't you just base the descision on whether there is extreme rioting or not the night before you fly?

missapphire Wed 10-Aug-11 16:15:46

Message withdrawn

missapphire Wed 10-Aug-11 16:17:45

Message withdrawn

ifancyashandy Wed 10-Aug-11 16:18:43

Neither Hoxtom Sq or Bishopsgate are really 'Hackney' and to be honest, you're more likely to get tripped up by the oversized satchel of an public school educated, mockney Alexa Chung wannabe than affected by some wannabe gangsta looter in either of those areas.

wineandcheese Wed 10-Aug-11 16:20:13

I think you should go. London is calming down and there are lots of police on hand to keep things in check from now on.

Btw Hoxton Square and Bishopsgate aren't in Hackney. (Well, the former is technically in the borough of Hackney, but it is quite a way from Hackney Central). They are very safe areas and the most trouble you're likely to have is navigating the hordes of tipsy but good-natured 20-somethings as they go from bar to bar.

wineandcheese Wed 10-Aug-11 16:21:24

Whoops, x-post ifancyashandy!

EldritchCleavage Wed 10-Aug-11 16:22:15

It isn't Hackney, as shandy says, and your DH is Barking.
Ahem.
If you are really worried, try the websites for City of London police (they cover Bishopsgate) as well as the Met and see what it says about travel advice. Do bear in mind that while many people have been badly affected, for hundreds of thousands of us it has been life as usual. I am not aware there has been any problem in the City or Hoxton at all.

TheSugarPlumFairy Wed 10-Aug-11 16:22:58

Bishopsgate is unaffected and you should be fine in hoxton square. The riots in hackney were centered around mare street. You really should be fine.

MarathonMillie Wed 10-Aug-11 16:23:50

I agree with ifancy and wineandcheese. I work between Bishopsgate and Hoxton Sq and there has been no trouble here all week.

missapphire Wed 10-Aug-11 16:25:29

Message withdrawn

bubblesincoffee Wed 10-Aug-11 16:25:42

Wow. Your dh sounds really horrible. And very self centred.

At the very least he should be seeing how much this trip means to you and sacrificing the car hire money if there is a genuine reason that you shouldn't go.

If he's going to give you two days of how 'selfish' you are, give it right back to him! It's hardly selfish to want to go to a family wedding when you have no valid reason not to!

missapphire Wed 10-Aug-11 16:28:48

Message withdrawn

wompoopigeon Wed 10-Aug-11 16:31:16

London is a big big place, and the great majority of it is completely unaffected. Bar a few more police lolling around the place. People are cheerfully going to work, having picnics, going shopping, yes and getting married. Your drive to the airport is statistically going to be by far the riskiest part of your trip.
Your DH is trying to frighten you and it is completely unwarranted. It sounds like a lovely wedding. Come and enjoy yourself.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 10-Aug-11 16:39:28

I live in a so far unaffected area of the city and last night I hosted 5 sleep deprived 'refugees' and their pets (2 cats,1 dog), from various parts of London who'd endured disturbed nights because of the constant noise from sirens, helicopters etc, in their home areas and, despite expectations, nothing of note occurred in the capital.

However, chez izzy, a good time was had by all to the extent that 3 of the refugees will be spending the weekend here 'just in case' which, IMO, is likely to ensure that nothing untoward will kick off on the streets of the city but, in any event, we're planning to go out and about as usual.

On a more pragmatic note Hackney has been 'done' and, as it will be awhile before shop shelves are stocked to their former level, I very much doubt that there will be a resurgence of civil disorder in that particular area of the city this weekend.

YANBU but your dh is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now