Talk

Advanced search

Would you leave neutral feedback for this?

(25 Posts)
stillfrazzled Wed 10-Aug-11 15:09:00

I won a little bundle of soft toys, rattles etc on eBay for DS2.

They arrived yesterday, a week after the auction ended, which is a bit slow but within the 5-6 working days they specified. The toys from the picture are all there.

The only thing is, they were really grubby. I know most baby toys say surface wash only, but I gave up trying to scrape a bit of food or something off one (ugh) and chucked them in the wash and they've come up fine.

So not a lasting problem, but just seems a bit minging to me, esp since they're for a baby who puts everything in his mouth.

Was thinking of leaving neutral feedback saying 'nice toys, would have been good if they were cleaned prior to posting' or something.

Alternative would be leaving no feedback. WWYD?

corriefan Wed 10-Aug-11 15:14:17

When I've been displeased I've sent a message saying the problem and said im not interested in leaving negative feedback but you should know ... I've had a bit of money back before.

GlitterySkulls Wed 10-Aug-11 15:14:26

never mind neutral, i'd leave negative for something that was filthy. that's just minging.

mrsdonkeybucket Wed 10-Aug-11 15:17:07

I would leave negative. Bit naughty not to say they needed a clean. If seller had, chances are you wouldn't have bought ?

Birdsgottafly Wed 10-Aug-11 15:28:06

What was the description like? The neutral feedback is for when the item described doesn't match the description.

Your written feedback sounds fair and acurate, though.

stillfrazzled Wed 10-Aug-11 15:37:09

Description was: "A wonderful selection of colourful toys to keep your baby entertained!

Rattles, teething rings, whoozit, wasp charms!

Your baby will love all of these!"

And they're prob right, but they didn't mention the grubby marks (and food stain on one) on the soft ones, which makes me look a bit hmm at the rattles and reach for the Milton...

I'm not houseproud or germphobic or anything, honest, but DS2 was prem so I am a bit more careful with him.

tyler80 Wed 10-Aug-11 15:44:16

With ebay I'd only assume they'd be washed/clean if it specifically stated 'in very good condition' or 'freshly laundered'

So I probably wouldn't give neutral feedback for tip. Not worth the hassle if they've washed up fine.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 10-Aug-11 15:46:50

I wouldn't buy cuddly toys second-hand. I know they come out ok in the washing machine but it's just one of the things that I don't buy 'pre-loved'.

I wouldn't leave a neutral, no, the toys were fine - you could send the seller an e-mail if you wanted to though, after you've left feedback.

bubblesincoffee Wed 10-Aug-11 15:49:05

I'd give neutal feedback, not bad, not good.

It is minging to make moeny out of selling grubby baby toys with bits of food stuck on them.

I don't get this whole ebay ettiquette of only leaving positive feedback unless you have been sent a dress when you ordered trousers.

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Wed 10-Aug-11 15:53:03

A second hand teething ring makes me feel a bit sick. I used to get cast off stuff from a friend, but I would never buy used baby stuff.

Remember seeing some horse rugs for sale on ebay, covered in the usual stable stains and horse shite. Wouldn't dream of buying those either.

I would leave feedback saying you had to wash them - as that was your original question grin

squeakytoy Wed 10-Aug-11 15:53:48

Unless you have contacted the buyer, in order to resolve your issue, then it is unfair to leave neutral or negative feedback.

She may have been really stressed out or busy, and just overlooked checking for anything dirty on the toys. It happens.

If you contacted her and she offered a refund, then she is still a good seller.

Leaving her a less than positive feedback without any communication is very unfair.

stillfrazzled Wed 10-Aug-11 16:14:08

To be fair, I'd have Miltoned the hard stuff anyway, and it doesn't look too used (at risk of further sickening those already nauseated at the thought of second hand toys...).

But I'm not sure I agree with letting off the seller because they might have been stressed or busy. They got themselves together enough to photograph the stuff, post it on eBay (total pain IMHO) and package it up for postage. Wouldn't have been a massive step further to either amend the description or wash the things.

But it is true that I haven't given seller a chance to redress the mistake. Don't know what I'd ask for, though - not sending them back, I've washed them so they're in better condition now!

bubblesincoffee Wed 10-Aug-11 16:17:04

But why squeaky? Why is it the buyers responsibilty to contact the seller and hope for a good response rather than the sellers responsibility to send out things that aren't covered in food.

Howcome on ebay you can send out dirty things, take money for them, and still be called a good seller.

I'm not disagreeing with you btw, I am an ebay virgin, I just don't get what would be so bad about neutral feedback in this situation.

PickleSarnie Wed 10-Aug-11 16:26:45

OH bought a baby back pack carrier thing. It said it was in "excellent condition". It had a huge lump of sick in a really obvious place. I am totally aware that pretty much anything that has been in contact with a baby has been puked on. But wouldn't you just give it a quick wipe if you were selling it?! It's so skanky.

If I had bought it, I definitely would have left negative feedback but I think oh just left it.

Birdsgottafly Wed 10-Aug-11 16:28:10

bubbles- as long as the description is fair, then no ebay, rule has been broken, so positive feedback needed. When bidding on 'used' items it is always better to ask a question, that is what the facility at the bottom of the screen is for.

A seller doesn't have to make sure that goods are clean, unless it states 'as new'.

OP put the soft toys in the freezer over night, to kill any bugs, washing will not do it.

TheMonster Wed 10-Aug-11 16:29:56

I think a week is fine for delivery so that isn't relevant.

bubblesincoffee Wed 10-Aug-11 16:31:50

Oh, ok. Thanks smile

So what is the option of neutral feedback for then, if it's a simple as whether a rule has been broken or not? Surely just good or bad would suffice?

peeriebear Wed 10-Aug-11 16:35:03

I would email the seller with a polite message saying that you have received the toys, however they were very dirty and crusted with food and she might want to check her other listings as somebody might leave her neg. feedback for it. See what she says before leaving you feedback.

peeriebear Wed 10-Aug-11 16:37:05

Also, isn't it just good practice to make sure what you are selling is clean ffs? I recently sold a couple of DDs dresses and was obsessive about no stains, no cat hairs, neatly pressed etc before posting. It's just polite!

Birdsgottafly Wed 10-Aug-11 17:03:45

Some people do have very strange hygiene standards. But unless the full description states clean condition, they do not have to be. They just have to be fully intact.

Sometimes it won't let you leave neutral feedback until after 7 days and you have contacted the seller. Most sellers, if it is reasonable will try to put things right. It could be that a colour/style hasn't been described properly. Slow dispatch, badly packaged, i have noticed that in some descriptions they state that the starting price reflects the cleaning costs (i buy worn once coast dresses).

laluna Wed 10-Aug-11 17:06:58

Totally agree with Peer. Totally unacceptable to sell dirty items. Would email the seller to politely point this out but I do think it warrants negative feedback.

MightyQuim Wed 10-Aug-11 17:59:33

What did the photo look like? If the crusty food wasn't clearly visible then you could argue that the photo was misleading. I would definitely email the seller first and see if they offer to put it right in any way eg refund the postage or something. If not I wouldn't hesitate to leave neutral or even negative feedback.

NattersAndMutters Wed 10-Aug-11 18:16:30

I would leave +feedback, but mention in the comment that the items needed a good wash. I have done this a couple of times, once for very slow dispatch and once for such flimsy packaging that I was amazed the item reached me undamaged. As the items were OK, I don't think it warrants a neg, but it's still worth pointing out for the benefit of other potential buyers.

DizzyKipper Wed 10-Aug-11 18:29:25

I actually find it really hard to bring myself to leave negative feedback, even when I'm sure the person deserves it. I tend to not leave any feedback at all.
Old, dried on food on baby toys is definitely disgusting though, and not on. If this is the only issue you could leave positive feedback but give a lower rating for accuracy of item description, and also mention it in the feedback.

squeakytoy Wed 10-Aug-11 18:33:38

It could be a complete oversight on her part. Frazzled mother, selling a few bits.. didnt realise her toddler had touched it since she checked and listed it. In a rush because she forgot to post quickly, shoves it into the packaging without checking.

I would always give someone a chance to redeem themselves.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: