Talk

Advanced search

... To skip my smear test?

(73 Posts)
chickenchops Wed 10-Aug-11 13:50:21

I know I probably am but-

3 months ago I suffered from a very trumatic birth. Both physically and emotionally. I'm feeling pretty devastated and violated. Which I'm getting help for to work through.

Letter came from the dr today to say I need a smear test. 18 months ago it was abnormal. A year ago it was normal but they need to recheck it now due to previous abnormal result.

I know how important it is to screened but the thought of anyone examining me and putting a speculum in leaves me wanting to vomit.

What do I do?

Earlybird Wed 10-Aug-11 13:52:52

Make yourself go. If everything is fine, you can relax and get on with your life. If everything is not fine, early detection/treatment is key.

kittensliveupstairs Wed 10-Aug-11 13:52:52

You phone in advance and explain your fears and worries. Then you make an appointment and ask for some valium or similar.
You know you must have it done particularly in light of your abnormal one.

babycham42 Wed 10-Aug-11 13:55:19

Can you take someone with you for support? Please go.

BlueCat2010 Wed 10-Aug-11 13:56:20

The only reason I am posting this today is because smear teats picked up abnormailities quickly and I had the appropriate treatment. I, like you, had one come back normal in between two abnormals - if I had missed this follow ups I would be dead.

Of course if you want to leave your child without a mother go ahead and skip it....

Sorry to be harsh, but it puts a perspective on it!

nickelbabe Wed 10-Aug-11 13:56:32

definitely phone them and let them know why you're anxious about it (perfectly resaonable reasons to be anxious)
and try to take a friend with you.
smile

but definitely go

squeakytoy Wed 10-Aug-11 13:56:47

You know you have to go. You must go.

BustySinclair Wed 10-Aug-11 14:00:22

if you dont mind dying from cervical cancer, then yes skip it

DontGoCurly Wed 10-Aug-11 14:01:21

I absolutely hate smear tests as I have a retroverted cervix and it used to hurt with all the endless prodding which could go on for 10 minutes. I also got an abnormal result once and have to have smears every six months now since.

However I now ask for a long speculum and it's much easier. Maybe that would help? Could you take a one off tranquilliser if you are not driving, maybe it might make it easier...?

MorelliOrRanger Wed 10-Aug-11 14:02:18

Please go, its for peace of mind, It's so quick really and post birth (I had one about 3 months after) it's not so bad.

If you've already had an abnormal one surely it's better to keep on going for them for your babies sake.

PinkFondantFancy Wed 10-Aug-11 14:03:53

You really do have to go. Is it worth trying something like hypnotherapy to give you a coping strategy to use during the examination? Also, if you know there's one particular doctor or nurse that is particularly gentle at doing smears, maybe request to see them?

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 10-Aug-11 14:04:09

Definitely go. Please.

Butyoucant Wed 10-Aug-11 14:04:34

I was the same as you, had a horrific birth and nearly died afterwards. Had tubes in every hole bar my ears. Still not really over it all.

I had my "call" last month, I hated smears before anyway, I have a sensitive cervix and it always hurts/bleeds. Finally plucked up the courage to go on Monday and I have to say it was the easiest one I ever had. A tip the nurse gave me was to stick my hands under my bum as it tilts you to a different angle which is much easier for them to see. It was over and done with in 30 secs whereas previously it's taken a couple of minutes. I didn't even realise she'd been "up there" til the speculum came out.

I am not going to be harsh as I know you know the risks and that won't help you at all. I also know what it feels like to not want anyone near you again but just trust me when I say it won't be anywhere near as bad as you think it will and once it's done that's it for a few years. That's how I looked at it.

working9while5 Wed 10-Aug-11 14:07:09

I skipped mine for the same reason, but I was being unreasonable. I hadn't had an abnormal one, but I was still being unreasonable.

Salmotrutta Wed 10-Aug-11 14:11:12

Please go - you know this already. But you are understandably frightened and I know what you mean (to a much smaller degree though).
I second the advice about speaking to the nurse and explaining your fears AND asking about a different speculum.
They come in different sizes and this can be very helpful.
Good luck smile

Rhinestone Wed 10-Aug-11 14:18:45

You might not die from cervical cancer. It might be caught in its advance state and you might merely require an operation removing your vagina. So what do you think you should do?

EVERYONE hates smear tests, they're bloody awful. But the alternative is worse - please go and reward yourself with a huge bar of chocolate and a bottle of wine afterwards.

piprabbit Wed 10-Aug-11 14:18:57

First, phone and check how soon after giving birth you can have your smear. I had to wait 6 months before I could have mine - I think that all the hormones and thickening/thinning that's been going on can lead to odd results which can lead to recalls... so they prefer to wait until everything is back to normal before trying to do a smear. Another few month's down the line and you may find it all marginally easier to deal with.

Then, follow your doctors' advice. Have your test as soon as it is feasible.

working9while5 Wed 10-Aug-11 14:27:38

I think that graphic descriptions of death or serious consequences are not very helpful when someone is delaying because of trauma, AIBU or no AIBU.

jasper Wed 10-Aug-11 14:28:36

please go

smoggii Wed 10-Aug-11 14:52:23

Hey chicken chops I too had a very traumatic birth and was diagnosed with Birth Trauma related PTSD which I received group counsellig for (it has really helped). Anyway I had panic attacks just thinking about my smear test which I had to have. I discussed it with my doctor and she prescribed Diazepam (one for the night before and one for the morning of the test) my husband took the day off work to take me to the docs and look after the baby for the day.

I was still a bit anxious but the diazepam really took the edge off.

It may be worth discussing your issues with your Doctor and seeing if your trust has a perinatal mental health team because you may need some help to get over it.

We have a small support group for women in our area who have been through a traumatic birth and have suffered with PTSD as a result - check out this

www.birthtraumaptsd.com

You may be able to find something similar in your area

holyShmoley Wed 10-Aug-11 14:58:19

would it help if your partner or a friend made the phone calls for you?
Please come back and tell is thay it is sorted.

girlywhirly Wed 10-Aug-11 15:10:30

I would ask to speak to a DR about this. They may offer you a recall in another few months, unless there is a really good reason why they must do the smear now. Do ask about some sort of sedation.

I had an abnormal result once, mainly because they did it when I was 12 weeks pregnant fgs, at the booking in clinic at the hospital. It hurt and I had some discharge afterwards. For some years after I was recalled every year, when I had normal results each time. Every nurse who took the smears was aghast that the hospital were taking smears from pregnant women! And it never hurt at any of the other smears.

I think you might feel better about it in a few months, but please don't miss the appointment this year.

electra Wed 10-Aug-11 15:12:35

Please go, it's very important especially if you've had abnormal results in the past.

Can you get someone really good to do it? The two that I've had I did not feel a thing.

spookshowangel Wed 10-Aug-11 15:18:08

i skipped mine for ages. so then i had to have a loop excision much more rooting around in your vagina. go to your doctor tell him your freaking and they will hopefully give you something to calm you.
any consolation they have changed them now so they do them with a brush so they are so much more comfortable i barely even noticed it was happening once the speculum was in.

Zimm Wed 10-Aug-11 15:56:55

Op - I loath smears and the thought of one after CB is horrid ) not had the call yet). For my last smear I persuaded them to prescribe me a valium (only time I've ever taken it) - it worked wonders, I was totally relaxed and it was over in seconds. I will do the same next time. Book an ap with the most sympathetic doc at your practice and get a prescription and then GO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now