Talk

Advanced search

to wear this to a wedding?

(60 Posts)
paleandinteresting Wed 10-Aug-11 12:57:32

DHs cousin is getting married and I was excited when I found this dress, which I love:
www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Wrap-Dress-with-Ruched-Front/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1644719&SearchQuery=red%20wrap%20dress&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Riored

However, since buying it I've heard that some people disapprove of guests wearing red at weddings. AIBU to wear it?

farnywarny Wed 10-Aug-11 12:58:48

YANBU, its lovely

natandjacob Wed 10-Aug-11 12:59:31

IMO I think it looks lovely if you've got the body to go with it. does look a bit short though so be careful what you wear with it.

Birdsgottafly Wed 10-Aug-11 13:00:33

Is it a church wedding and will you wear a black fascinator?

TubbyDuffs Wed 10-Aug-11 13:00:39

YANBU it is very nice and I wish I could get away with something like that!

I have never heard that wearing red is bad at a wedding. I think if you turn up in a white weddingy type dress, then that would BU, but red is fine.

OiMissus Wed 10-Aug-11 13:02:36

It looks stunning. I've never heard anything bad about red to a wedding. Red is the colour of hearts, valentines and romance - how can it possibly be bad? Go for it!
White/ivory is bad.
Black can sometimes be frowned upon, but no one really bothers these days.

But I'm afraid none of this really matters, no one will be looking at you. All eyes will be on the bride. smile

worraliberty Wed 10-Aug-11 13:03:15

I've got this dress and I bought it to wear to a wedding! grin

It was just the reception though, doubt I would have worn it to the church if I'd been invited.

paleandinteresting Wed 10-Aug-11 13:03:27

Thank you for your feedback! I think I can get away with the length as my legs are quite short smile It isn't a church wedding. Hadn't thought about headwear yet, black fascinator sounds nice though.

RainyAfternoon Wed 10-Aug-11 13:05:38

Looks beautiful. Just don't stand right next to the bride in group photos as the red might overpower the white though as it's not a long dress it probably wouldn't anyway. Enjoy!

Missybaby Wed 10-Aug-11 13:06:57

lovely dress, but not wedding material IMO! Evening reception yes, not a day thing. Will definitely raise eyebrows!!

bubblesincoffee Wed 10-Aug-11 13:16:53

It's a gorgeous dress, but not for a wedding imo. It shows cleavage and leg, ok for a party, not ok for a wedding.

SiamoFottuti Wed 10-Aug-11 13:20:28

Its frowned upon to wear red at a chinese wedding, or many indian ones, since the bride traditionally wears red. But not for a western wedding if the bride is in white.

HappyAsIAm Wed 10-Aug-11 13:20:30

I would wear it to a wedding, but as I'm so short, I know that it would end up at knee length on me. Great colour - you'll stand out in the photos!

ChitChattingaway Wed 10-Aug-11 13:20:47

Beautiful dress, bit short though. It's only 85 cm in length!

zukiecat Wed 10-Aug-11 13:28:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gotolder Wed 10-Aug-11 13:38:53

I was mother of the groom and wore a dress as red as yours (not low cut though, think that may have raised eyebrows at my agegrin). I wore it with black accessories; both no, no's according to some: I felt fabulous, my DS complimented me and NO ONE criticised.

If Mother of the Groom can do it, so can you - enjoy!

paleandinteresting Wed 10-Aug-11 13:48:03

I appreciate your responses! I don't have much of a cleavage so I don't think the low cut will draw too much attention smile And like OiMissus pointed out, everyone will be looking at the bride. Just didn't want to flout any wedding etiquette rules when it comes to colour.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Wed 10-Aug-11 13:53:44

I think it's really nice! I'd want it myself expect I have chubby arms so those gathered sleeves would make me look bulky, and red makes me look like draculas wife!!!

If you are short it probably won't be too short on you. I wouldn't wear black with it though, maybe beige/cream/grey etc.

G1nger Wed 10-Aug-11 13:54:50

The red thing is about not trying to upstage the bride. About not drawing too much attention to yourself. Personally, I wouldn't wear it.

DontGoCurly Wed 10-Aug-11 13:57:08

It's gorgeous!

Never heard about red, just that it's a lucky colour for Japanese brides I think.....

If you have the figure you should definitely go for it.

MorelliOrRanger Wed 10-Aug-11 13:57:35

I think it's nice, I think I would have black accessories and fascinator.

Never thought red was bad for a wedding - I thought it was black or white you shouldn't wear as a guest.

sancerrre Wed 10-Aug-11 13:57:36

Love it! In fact, think I'll have to order one myself.

paleandinteresting Wed 10-Aug-11 13:58:55

One of the reasons I got the dress was because it does have some sleeves! Don't like my upper arms and avoid sleeveless tops as much as possible. Thanks for the tip on other colours to go with red, I need all the fashion advice I can get!

worraliberty Wed 10-Aug-11 13:59:05

I don't get this 'everyone will be looking at the bride' thing.

Of course they'll look at the bride, the groom and everyone else....but people also look at each other and you'll look lovely in this.

SusanneLinder Wed 10-Aug-11 14:00:46

G1nger, I doubt the OP will upstage the bride in that dress,lovely as it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now