Talk

Advanced search

In the history of pathetic and competitive whinges I think this is my favourite.

(54 Posts)
Reality Wed 10-Aug-11 11:34:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NasalCoffeeEnema Wed 10-Aug-11 11:38:51

ahhhh perceived imbalances ahhh

Mummy dd had one more breadstick than me. Mummy Ds1 has more milk than me (yes cos you bloody drank some) Mummmmyyyyy Mummyyyyyyyyyyyy

and calm

worldgonecrazy Wed 10-Aug-11 11:41:52

As one of three siblings, I can assure you that the best thing to come out of this is the ability of those with one sibling to divide absolutely anything in half. I can divide any cake or food offering, or pour any drink so that there are three portions all exactly the same size. My husband never fails to be astonished at this skill.

whatsthatnoise Wed 10-Aug-11 11:47:42

My brother and I once had an argument about who's aero had the most bubbles basically we were fighting because whoever had the most bubbles had the least chocolate I think I was about 8 so he would have been 11 grin

PotteringAlong Wed 10-Aug-11 11:50:22

When we were younger and were allowed half a cake / bar of chocolate each, the rule was that one got to cut and the other to choose. My sister and I could spend at least 20 mins on thus with a ruler before we ever ate anything! smile

SlackSally Wed 10-Aug-11 11:53:13

I always hated the one cut/one choose thing. Totally unfair on the cutter.

AmazingBouncingFerret Wed 10-Aug-11 11:54:12

PotteringAlong, I love the sound of that rule, might have to try that with my two when they are a bit older! grin

Mumwithadragontattoo Wed 10-Aug-11 11:56:13

But that's the point the cutter alternates and it is in your interests (when you are the cutter) to be as fair as possible.

AKMD Wed 10-Aug-11 11:56:18

My brother and I used to take aaaaages to eat anything nice because the one who finished first felt that it was unfair that the other one still had pudding hmm We were supposedly bright too!

AgentProvocateur Wed 10-Aug-11 11:56:43

It doesn't end - my 15 year old recently asked if we'd been on holiday with his older brother before he was born - just in case he was "owed" an extra holiday.

Gay40 Wed 10-Aug-11 12:02:20

My mother can divide a can of pop equally between 5 of us in the street with more precision than if she was sat in a lab with a pipette and a jury stood next to her.
When I said to DD and her friend that one had to cut and the other choose, she looked at me like I'd gone mad. (The friend, eldest of three, understood perfectly.)

aStarInStrangeways Wed 10-Aug-11 12:05:37

I once counted every chip and pea on my plate in a bid to prove the unfairness of which I was complaining.

I believe my mum's response was that my brother was older and therefore bigger, and therefore needed more, and why didn't I just shut up and eat my tea before it went even more cold grin

clam Wed 10-Aug-11 12:06:23

My DS, aged about 5 at the time, whinged that it wasn't "fay-er" because "we never get to go on a helicopter."

HPonEverything Wed 10-Aug-11 12:09:04

PotteringAlong we had that rule too.

Although I always actually wanted a smaller portion so it made no difference to me. When I was the 'cutter' I'd make sure I just cut a smaller bit for myself and hoped he'd choose the bigger bit (which he inevitably would).

I used to get very upset about the division of strawberries though. I remember mum used to weigh them and spend hours juggling them around in the bowls, the poor woman.

superjobee Wed 10-Aug-11 12:10:38

when i was 17 i was cooking my wee bros tea <he was 13 ish> he came thru to count the meatballs out the tin to make sure i didnt eat any as they were cooking! me and my best mate used to spend forever over a pizza trying to decide which half was bigger before we'd eat it before one of our mums would just go right thats yours thats yours now git grin we still do this with alcohol when we pour each others drinks

EarthMotherImNot Wed 10-Aug-11 12:11:47

My DS still has a sense of injustice because we went on holiday abroad and, according to his reasoning, we took his older sister (he was as yet not even a twinkle) she was just a twinkle, I was 3 months pregnant with hershock

Blatherskite Wed 10-Aug-11 12:12:54

As the eldest of 4, it was always my job to get out the measuring jug to share out squash or pop grin

Malcontentinthemiddle Wed 10-Aug-11 12:13:28

Mine were heard at the age of sharing a bath to complain that one had deeper water at her end than the other....

HPonEverything Wed 10-Aug-11 12:13:50

At the age of 18, my brother complained that I at 16 still got 'pocket money' (which was actually a clothing allowance). He said we should both get it til I was 18 because we'd both started receiving it at the same time, although he had no proof that that was fact as nobody could remember.

Easter Eggs he would scoff on the day, and I'd still have mine in October. He'd pester me every day about them, he couldn't stand that I still had some!

He still (in his mid-30s) RAGES if I still have Xmas presents to open on Xmas Day and he doesn't. I deliberately save them, to wind him up smile

Fun times grin

messymammy Wed 10-Aug-11 12:15:23

Ha ha ha ha my grandad used to mind us a lot and he used to get the measuring jug out to pour us, say, 250mls of orange squash smile we had the poor man tormented!

My Dad told me a story about when he was a kid they lived on a farm. His older brother was chasing him and the rest of the 11 siblings in a field and he ended up standing on a rusty nail, it went right into his foot through his shoe.Obviously he went in crying and his mother cleaned him up etc and then gave him a jelly to cheer him up and sent him back out to play. He came out holding the jelly and eating it really slowly in front of all the others so they lines up and all stood on the nail for my grandmother to give them all a jelly smile
If that doesn't show the lengths kids will go to for sweets I don't know what does grin

neversaydie Wed 10-Aug-11 12:17:29

My son (only child) once informed me that it was bitterly unfair that his best friend at school had more days off due to illness than he did. Words failed me!

cricketballs Wed 10-Aug-11 12:19:10

I have it between my eldest DS and dh! they both look at each others plates and I am sure that if I let them that a measureing tape would be brought out....grin

Revupk Wed 10-Aug-11 12:19:53

My sister and I had a fight about who had committed a worse crime in their previous birth (we believed in reincarnation then) to get the awful punishment of having the other one as a sibling in this birth. I argued that it was me since she (1.5 yrs older) as least had some joy in her life while she argued that it was worse to have had known paradise and then have it snatched away! We were 12 and 13.

Pandemoniaa Wed 10-Aug-11 12:21:51

ds2 (28 and a half) still feels cheated out of the day trip to France that ds1 went on at the grand old age of 5 weeks!

Fecklessdizzy Wed 10-Aug-11 12:27:44

We used to fight like cats in a bag over who got the red plate ... Mum brought two more red plates ... We all continued to fight over who got the old red plate !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now