Talk

Advanced search

...in really hating the term 'scum'?

(114 Posts)
woollyideas Wed 10-Aug-11 08:12:35

It seems like such an awful and judgmental word and, to me, says more about the person using it than it does about the people it's directed at.

More often than not, it's used in reference to people who deserved to be judged though.

FreudianSlipper Wed 10-Aug-11 08:15:41

i agree

especially when they are often referring to children its been used over and over again these last few days

EdithWeston Wed 10-Aug-11 08:22:38

I used it once or twice yesterday. I don't usually go in for such terms or characterisations.

But nothing else seemed strong enough to describe what has been going on. Extreme terms are sometimes indicated. And yes, I was judging that pack for that night spent in random theft, arson and looting.

moonstorm Wed 10-Aug-11 08:27:11

What Edith said.

I think you have to live in an area (as a law abiding person) to see what they can really be like. Suffer and have your life ruined by them. Watch them have all the worldy goods while you are struggling to make ends meet. Then you might like the term.

I realise that's a generalisation, but there realy is an underclass and you have to experience it to understand.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 10-Aug-11 08:27:12

I use it. It is what it is and conveys a level of brainlessness and twattery that is appropriate.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 10-Aug-11 08:27:14

I use it. It is what it is and conveys a level of brainlessness and twattery that is appropriate.

ChumleeIsMyHomeboy Wed 10-Aug-11 08:33:57

<<<deep sigh>>>> This unwillingness to call a scummy spade exactly that is at least in part why we are in this Godawful mess.

And I agree completely with lissielou

TrillianAstra Wed 10-Aug-11 08:39:02

If you keep your toothbrushes in a mug you get stuff at the bottom of the mug (no matter how well you rinse them).

What better word is there for it than scum?

Someone on Twitter suggested "goop" (like Gwyneth Paltrow's website) but to me goop is more viscous.

ZZZenAgain Wed 10-Aug-11 08:40:43

it doesn't bother me really

woollyideas Wed 10-Aug-11 08:40:52

Really Chumlee? So if we'd all been more willing to stick labels on people the world would be a better place?

ZZZenAgain Wed 10-Aug-11 08:41:12

or residue trillian

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Wed 10-Aug-11 08:41:56

Yabu some people are scum, but when over used it turns into what you've said.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 10-Aug-11 08:46:15

I always think of scum as a form of single organism. There, but incapable of feelings or thought.

Appropriate imo. And I'm as lefty liberal as they come, but there are some people that can't helped with a cup of herbal tea and a rendition of kumbyah.

CamperFan Wed 10-Aug-11 08:47:25

YABU - what do you suggest they are called instead?

ChumleeIsMyHomeboy Wed 10-Aug-11 08:50:17

Exactly camper - just what should they be called instead? Norty norty boys? Come on ffs. Scum is what they are and that's the end of the matter.

CheerfulYank Wed 10-Aug-11 08:52:47

What lissielou said.

The riots we had in L.A. almost 20 years ago were horrible and what happened to set them off (Rodney King's beating) was horrible too. And I do think society has failed at some point, etc ,etc.

But, in the L.A. riots for example, the men who dragged Reginald Denny from his work truck and beat and kicked him almost to death, including pitching concrete blocks at his head, all the while laughing and flashing gang signs, were despicable fucking evil scum .

squeakytoy Wed 10-Aug-11 08:57:07

Scum... yup, good word to describe the behaviour of people who are ruining the lives of so many who have worked hard and watched their livelihoods smashed into pieces.

People who pretend to be helping an injured boy, then rob him as he stands there bleeding... scum.

People who throw rocks and bricks at others, people who set building alight just for the hell of it, not caring if innocent people are at risk of dying inside the building.... scum.

What should we call them.. "poor disadvantaged members of society"... fuck that, they arent fit to be part of society.

woollyideas Wed 10-Aug-11 08:58:59

The word isn't specifically used in relation to the rioters though. I've noticed the word being applied to benefit claimants, prisoners, people who live in particular areas... all sorts of people really.

pigletmania Wed 10-Aug-11 08:59:12

Er that's why that tren is used to describe perpetrators who wrecked peoples lives and cause devastation, not a nice term for not nice people

elmofan Wed 10-Aug-11 09:01:01

Sorry but some times you just have to call a spade,
A spade. Or in this case scum.

CheerfulYank Wed 10-Aug-11 09:01:08

One of my fb friends (who is as American as I am) is going on and onnnnn about it being a symptom of civil unrest. Oh, well that's ok then. hmm

CamperFan Wed 10-Aug-11 09:01:44

That's surely a different issue, woolly?

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Wed 10-Aug-11 09:05:18

YABU. When being used in reference to what's been going on the last few days I can't think of a better word than scum. They have been called animals confused but imo that's an insult to the animal world- animals don't treat their own kind this way, nor do they mindlessly destroy property for the sake of it (as far as I know- I'm no David Attenborough).

The scum that have destroyed homes and livelihoods deserve every bad word that comes their way. shock that anyone would be concerned about the names that arsonists, thieves, armed robbers etc get called.

woollyideas Wed 10-Aug-11 09:08:15

What do you mean, a dfferent issue, CamperFan? My objection to the word is the way it is used as a label to stick on anyone you (generic 'you' not you, Camper) disapprove of. I think it's fine to describe people's actions as anti-social, or violent, or whatever, and it's fine to condemn their actions, but I just don't think it helps to dish out labels like 'scum'. Yesterday, I heard someone in my local high street describe the Big Issue seller as 'scum'. Not nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now