Talk

Advanced search

to think holiday photos

(16 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Tue 09-Aug-11 22:38:52

are better with people in them?

My mate posts albums of photos up online, hundreds of them and there are only ever about 1 in 100 with her in. the rest are trees or sand or the sea or hotel beds! isn't that a bit weird?

I mean, obviously I am BU to actually give a shit but humour me... what are your holiday photos like?

BibiBlocksberg Tue 09-Aug-11 22:41:53

Same as you're friend's photo's for me - due to me either being too shy to have my picture taken or no one being interested in taking it in the first place.

<digs out pictures of poolsides, beaches, landmarks, all devoid of so much of one of Bibi's limbs>

MaureenMLove Tue 09-Aug-11 22:42:35

None of mine have me in them, but that's because no other bugger picks up the camera! There's plenty of DD and DH together. No one gives a flying fig about me!

Anyway, I had my say, back to the question! grin

Views I keep to myself. Nice or fun family pictures I share on Facebook and the like.

I find most peoples holiday snaps quite dull tbh, unless they're really food fun pictures.

5inthebed Tue 09-Aug-11 22:44:07

I have a friend whos holiday photos are all of her knees with hand holding a glass of wine next to knees and the scene infront of her. It was funny to start with......

IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 09-Aug-11 22:44:14

I hate being shown photos without people in, for gods sake if there is a nice view just have a person in the corner!

A1980 Tue 09-Aug-11 22:44:54

YABu. In my case I'm single now and my whole album is of scenery and may 2-3 of me. it's hard to ask so many passers by to take photos of you.

Also I know what I look like, I know i was there, my friends know what I look like. Why would I want to be in every photo? I want to remember what the place was like and get loads of photos of it.

rubyrubyruby Tue 09-Aug-11 22:47:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LolaRennt Tue 09-Aug-11 22:48:45

I hate pics of me so dont take many, but I know pics of scenery (except for the odd amazing shot) isn't interesting to anyone not on the holiday so I don't fb them

squeakytoy Tue 09-Aug-11 22:49:03

I am the opposite.. I like looking at (good) photos of the places, not endless inane shots of grinning people posing..

I have a friend who recently went away and posted about 200 photos of herself and her kids in the pool... nothing else.

I also have a friend who went to New Zealand, and I was really looking forward to seeing those photos... 300 of her grinning into a camera.. I know what she looks like for gods sakes.. I wanted t see NZ.

HeidiKat Tue 09-Aug-11 22:50:20

YANBU, we visited a wildlife park while on holiday a couple of months ago and DH went a bit mad with the camera so we have loads of pictures of random animals and hardly any with people in them.

soymama Tue 09-Aug-11 22:51:56

I can't stand it when people put basically the same photo on 10 times but with very slight variations
<yawn>

BibiBlocksberg Tue 09-Aug-11 22:52:24

"I know what she looks like for gods sakes.. I wanted t see NZ'

grin

beanandspud Tue 09-Aug-11 22:54:01

DH takes hundreds of pictures of views, fields, sea, plants, birds, signs, even complete strangers. I think he thinks they are 'arty' and he is very proud of them, even though most are pretty boring. I have now perfected comments such as "oh, lovely composure" and "wow, what fantastic lighting" which keep him happy! Not worth falling out over a few pics.

pictish Tue 09-Aug-11 22:55:57

I'm like squeakytoy - i want to see where they visited, rather than pic after pic of inane grinning, meals out, and my friends boiling in the pool. I've seen a pool before.

Why do people take pictures of their food?

Pandemoniaa Tue 09-Aug-11 22:58:52

You don't have to know the people to take pictures of them though. One of my favourite holiday pictures is a night scene of a medieval square in Siena which is populated by complete strangers just sitting around.

Some of the worst pictures I've been invited to admire are poorly captured, people-less studies of places that could be anywhere. If the person who took the snap is happy with it then I guess I'm being a bit U myself but then I'm a photographer and sometimes it gets difficult being asked to provide "critique" when what the snapper really wants is gushing praise.

Although I prefer pictures populated with, er, people, a really good landscape is something worth admiring. Unfortunately, it's often difficult to pick the really good from the dross because there seems a positive compulsion to put hundreds and hundreds of pictures up on Facebook when actually, even your nearest and dearest would rather see 20 good pictures. Ideally of more than your hotel bathroom...

DuelingFanjo Tue 09-Aug-11 23:46:47

this is what I can see...

trees
closer up trees
even closer trees
a wooden pathway
closer up wooden pathway
Sea in the distance with boat on it
trees with two unidentified people on a sun lounger in the middle of them
trees and a little edge of swimming pool
trees
trees from another angle
Close up shot of the hotel sign
completely empty bar, not even a barman
close up shot of outside the hotel
outside of a holiday apartment
holiday apartment from a different angle
more holiday apartments
the hotel reception area
a pool surrounded by trees
some rocks
rocks form the other side
more rocks
more rocks
more rocks

I mean COME ON!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now