Talk

Advanced search

for telling a young girl off for cycling on the pavement??

(245 Posts)
lottiejenkins Tue 09-Aug-11 15:57:46

I went shopping in our local market town this morning with my ds Wilf (profoundly deaf). We stopped at the florists where my cousin works and as we were leaving Wilf went out of the front door ahead of me. He then suddenly stepped back and i saw that girl (aged about ten) had nearly knocked him over as she cycled past on the pavement!! hmm I called after her and said that Wilf was deaf and that is one of the many reasons why she shouldnt be cycling on the pavement. I didnt see any parent with her. Surely if shes that nervous of traffic she shouldnt be out on her own???

TheBigJessie Tue 09-Aug-11 15:58:39

Her parents may have told her to cycle on the pavement.

JosieRosie Tue 09-Aug-11 15:59:50

YANU. I am sick and flipping tired of almost getting knocked down my cyclists on pavement. I don't care if they are adults or children - get on the damn road! Sounds like you did the right thing by explaining that your son was deaf, rather than just yelling at her. Love the name Wilf by the way smile

HamstersDontSwim Tue 09-Aug-11 16:00:38

I thought that children were allowed to cycle on pavements.

She didnt hurt anyone so whats your problem?

CMOTdibbler Tue 09-Aug-11 16:00:42

YANBU. Cycling on the pavement is never acceptable in town, and where pavements are quiet, only by under 8's at most

lottiejenkins Tue 09-Aug-11 16:02:23

That is my point entirely, people are not supposed to cycle on the pavement!! It is illegal!!!

Kayano Tue 09-Aug-11 16:02:34

Yanbu

But.... AIBU to turn this thread into a 'I love the name Wilf' thread please?

lottiejenkins Tue 09-Aug-11 16:03:43

Hamsters my "problem" is that she nearly knocked my son off his feet. Due to his deafness and dyspraxia his balance is not brilliant!!! If she had fallen off her bike into the road i would have felt terrible!!!

MissVerinder Tue 09-Aug-11 16:04:14

I believe the max age is 8; therefore if she looked about 10, it would have been too close to call.

The key word there is "nearly" knocked him over. TBF I would have been raging if it were my DD too, but maybe YWBU to "tell her off" rather than explaining why she should be more careful/ride on the road if possible.

Did she stop?

lottiejenkins Tue 09-Aug-11 16:04:35

Kayano grin

lottiejenkins Tue 09-Aug-11 16:06:15

She didnt stop no. I explained to her that my son was deaf and that i wasnt happy that she was on the pavement. I asked if she was ok she said she was and carried on cycling! It could have been an elderly person.......hmm

cat64 Tue 09-Aug-11 16:06:20

Message withdrawn

LineRunner Tue 09-Aug-11 16:06:36

Our local beat police say that if you are old enough to ride a bike without stabilisers then you should be learning to cycle on the road.

A little lad cycled past me on the pavement yesterday, all of a wobble - he would be about 7 - and as I stepped out of his way to let him past he shouted, 'Thank you!'. No-one minds that.

BilboBloggins Tue 09-Aug-11 16:07:18

I think YABU. I don't think kids as young as 10 should be cycling on the road.

I also think if your DS is deaf and dyspraxic, you should have been holding his hand or if too old for that, he should look before stepping out.

What if it was a jogger/runner nearly knocked him down? Should they be on the road too?

Highlander Tue 09-Aug-11 16:08:32

With modern, heavily congested roads and cars that don't dent - it's too dangerous to cycle on the road.

lottiejenkins Tue 09-Aug-11 16:10:42

If they are not capable of cycling on the road on their own without an adult Bilbo then they shouldnt be out on his own. I neglected to say that my ds is also autistic.. He shouldnt have to look before he steps out of a shop he should have access to the pavement without being nearly knocked over"""

IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 09-Aug-11 16:10:48

they should bring back cycling proficiency at school, and then everyone over 10 would be confident enough on the road. But in a lot of areas it is simply unsafe for any child no matter how confident.

JosieRosie Tue 09-Aug-11 16:11:17

Highlander, it's too dangerous for pedestrians if you cycle on the pavement! I'm a fully-grown adult without any hearing or balance issues and I have almost been knocked over by morons cycling at speed on the pavement.

MissVerinder Tue 09-Aug-11 16:11:23

In that case YWNBU x

Hope Wilf (best name ever) is ok.

Gonzo33 Tue 09-Aug-11 16:11:31

I think the Uk should do what Germany does - have an extra wide path with a cycle lane. If you walk in the cycle lane in Germany though you are fair game!

HamstersDontSwim Tue 09-Aug-11 16:14:27

I still think YABU
''He then suddenly stepped back''
So Wilf stepped back -he could have knocked ovey an elderly person.

I'm glad that your Ds was not hurt, but if he dosnt look before he steps back he could get hurt by somone on foot,mobility scooter or bike.

BilboBloggins Tue 09-Aug-11 16:14:31

Actually lottie, he should look. Do you blindly walk out of shop doors not caring who you bump into? What about mobility scooters? Is he allowed to blindly wander out in front of them? Folk with prams?

If he is as bad as you describe - hold his hand and watch out for him.

LineRunner Tue 09-Aug-11 16:15:11

My kids' former primary school does run cycling proficiency courses (different name now, though) in the school hols. State school, courses open to all local kids.

Danthe4th Tue 09-Aug-11 16:17:23

Bring back cycling proficiency?? it never left, all schools can do it if they wish. Ours does it every year, and the age is 10 when children should cycle on the roads.

HamstersDontSwim Tue 09-Aug-11 16:17:48

Would you be able to use a wrist strap?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now