Talk

Advanced search

Cameron's statement.

(193 Posts)
altinkum Tue 09-Aug-11 10:25:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 09-Aug-11 10:27:56

Shouldn't we wait for him to actually make a statement before judging?

altinkum Tue 09-Aug-11 10:32:24

squeakytoy Tue 09-Aug-11 10:33:29

Havent seen the clip, but was the teenage boy one of the rioters/looters?

scaryteacher Tue 09-Aug-11 10:34:04

I don't think we are a laughing stock - any more than France was after the banlieus erupted a couple of years back.

I do think however that we are seen as too liberal and concerned with the Human Rights act, and that our increasing tendency to sue and get compensation for the slightest thing doesn't help with policing.

It has all been very well to teach about 'rights' over the past 15 years, but what about the responsibilities that go hand in hand with having those rights?

AbbyAbsinthe Tue 09-Aug-11 10:34:45

Yes, I've seen that clip too - and no, the young boy looked like a foreign student. He was bleeding - they helped him up and robbed him, right there. It was fucking disgraceful.

DoMeDon Tue 09-Aug-11 10:34:50

Who knows! Something has to and fast.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Tue 09-Aug-11 10:35:00

What is the point of speculating about what Cameron, or anyone else for that matter, will say about the lawlessness currently affecting parts of the UK?

Or you asking what others want Cameron to say?

MacGuffin Tue 09-Aug-11 10:37:09

Some folk on the other thread saying they hope the riots bring him down confused - surely no matter what you political leaning you can't agree with mob rule calling the shots...

bemybebe Tue 09-Aug-11 10:37:47

Respect for human rights is what makes London different from Gotham City.

I am extremely disappointed that NONE of the senior political figures from any sides came forward to appeal to people through media or, dare I say so, in person on the streets.

We need more people like this brave black lady to stand up to the criminals www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNmQBx2WyN0

DoMeDon Tue 09-Aug-11 10:37:53

Agree with scary - my friends twins went off the rails at home after their lessons at school about rights. Kept saying they had right to this/that and she couldn't do anything to stop them. They said if she tried to stop them they would tell the police they had been abused. I was shocked and stunned by their behaviour. They learnt nothing of responsibility - that should be the focus. Rights need to take a back step - we have young people with a ludicrous sense of entitlement.

spookshowangel Tue 09-Aug-11 10:38:10

we can wait for his statement but my judgy pant are pulled high it took him four days to get his ass back here, sure he was being briefed the whole time but that doesnt look good.
quite frankly if you take, take, take from a society you are going to have fall outs like not enough police to deal with the situation.
he is going to squirm here and i really cant see how he is going to come out of it making himself our his party looking good.

GypsyMoth Tue 09-Aug-11 10:39:15

10.30 been and gone....thought we were due to hear from Cameron??

squeakytoy Tue 09-Aug-11 10:40:03

The vast majority of the country want to see a lot more force used to stop these criminals. Water cannons and the army being the main suggestions. I agree, and think we have to stop faffing around, because at the moment, the scum know that they are winning, and they are. A policeman with a shield is no deterant. How many other countries in the world have a police force that stand there doing very little while rocks are thrown at them.

spookshowangel Tue 09-Aug-11 10:40:37

squirm tiff squirm

altinkum Tue 09-Aug-11 10:40:52

MacGuffin Tue 09-Aug-11 10:41:55

I'm guessing he was waiting to see how bad it got before coming back - so a few rioters (as it was on Sat) aren't calling the shots - or being seen to be calling the shots... (not making excuses for him btw - just trying to work it out)

bemybebe Tue 09-Aug-11 10:42:03

I am extremely disappointed that NONE of the senior political figures from any sides came forward to appeal to people through media or, dare I say so, in person on the streets.

I would have called for a demo by Londoners and those across the country but for the police request to stay off the streets...

altinkum Tue 09-Aug-11 10:44:20

squeakytoy Tue 09-Aug-11 10:46:39

Alt, I think part of the problem is that this sense of entitlement has gone on to the next generation now. So sadly we have parents who actively encourage their children to demand their "rights" against authority.

Decent parents would have kept their children indoors and safe last night, not allow them to be out amidst the violence.

It starts when a child goes home from school bleating that the teacher has raised her voice, and the parent goes steaming into school to demand to know why anyone has dared to shout at their precious offspring. The parents have lost control of their children.

The country is in a mess, and yes, we are a bloody embarassment to Europe. Too many have no respect for authority and see their "human rights" as vital importance, while having no bloody thought for the "human rights" of law abiding people.

An ineffective judicial system also means that very few have any fear of punishment, because they know there is likely to be no consequences to their behaviour.

spookshowangel Tue 09-Aug-11 10:48:09

i disagree, i think if the government does stupid thing after stupid thing. which cause people to get angry and things like this to happen then they are unlikely to get in to power again in the next election.
they would not replace cameron for the same reasons you suggested he didnt return home right away........at least not right now.

scaryteacher Tue 09-Aug-11 10:49:43

'Respect for human rights is what makes London different from Gotham City'...from where I was sitting last night, there didn't appear to be a huge difference between the two. Other countries are signed up to the ECHR, but don't seem to pander to it as slavishly as the UK does.

Perhaps we need to arm our police and show they mean business.

GypsyMoth Tue 09-Aug-11 10:50:41

i dont think you can keep kids like this in! parents lost control years ago of some of these.they are probably scared of their own kids

many mothers out there will be pandering to these kids when they wake up.....too scared to rock the boat with them

ClaireDeLoon Tue 09-Aug-11 10:52:18

Statement now due 1105 apparently.

squeakytoy Tue 09-Aug-11 10:54:19

I agree,Tiffany, and there will also be many parents who know damn well where there kids where last night, and will be patting them on the back, and helping them hide their loot. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now