Talk

Advanced search

To think that yawning is not rude?

(15 Posts)
BertieBotts Tue 09-Aug-11 09:22:06

I have never ever understood this. Do people really yawn to denote boredom? I have only ever yawned when I'm genuinely tired, and it's involuntary, surely? Of course in company I try to hide it and apologise but I have always wondered why it's considered rude or to be a sign that someone is bored.

youmeatsix Tue 09-Aug-11 09:35:53

yawning is an involuntary action
so i dont think it can be perceived as rude

Birdsgottafly Tue 09-Aug-11 09:39:33

Yawn can be put on, so it can be rude, as well. Not covering your mouth whilst doing it is rude.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 09-Aug-11 09:39:58

Yawning when you cannot help it is not rude. You can't help it.

It's just that yawn = tired somehow = bored/fed up. Don't know why.

Feigning a yawn, or typing a yawn on a forum grin is very rude and anyone who does it deserves a dose of my boot up their arse.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 09-Aug-11 09:40:36

YABU because it is a sign of boredom. We've all been in tedious situations in the middle of the afternoon, after a good night's sleep, when we should be as fresh and perky as they come.....and found ourselves yawning. Any other day, same time, different place, we're sharp as a tack. May be involuntary but it's definitely situation-related.

TotemPole Tue 09-Aug-11 09:45:47

YANBU, it's involuntary.

purpleknittingmum Tue 09-Aug-11 09:48:46

My teenage daughter puts on yawn to me to show her cocky 'don't care' attitude, she won't admit that she puts in on though!

Pinkiemum Tue 09-Aug-11 18:52:19

Yawning is a sign your brain lacks oxygen, being in a stuffy room/office can make you yawn.

lecce Tue 09-Aug-11 19:20:17

YANBU. I was once made to feel really shitty by a horrible boss in a room full of people because he caught me trying to yawn discreetly. I was not bored and it was involuntary. Bastard.

issynoko Tue 09-Aug-11 19:25:20

Yawning in a big 'God this is dull' way is rude. As is sighing and gazing at the clock etc. But a stifled yawn is someone trying to be polite despite being knackered or in unbearable company. Remember this...?
news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/15094061

LolaRennt Tue 09-Aug-11 19:26:39

YABU because it is a sign of boredom. We've all been in tedious situations in the middle of the afternoon, after a good night's sleep, when we should be as fresh and perky as they come.....and found ourselves yawning. Any other day, same time, different place, we're sharp as a tack. May be involuntary but it's definitely situation-related.

Even so if it is involuntary that still means it is not the person's fault for yawing so therefore not rude? So then the OP is not BU.

I always feel awkward yawing and try and hide it so people dont think I'm yawning at them

marriedinwhite Tue 09-Aug-11 19:27:41

Nothing wrong with yawning providing you put your hand to your mouth.

LineRunner Tue 09-Aug-11 19:27:59

Well, the typing of:

<<yawn>>

on MN is normally meant to be rude.

But that's voluntary.

Involuntary yawning in RL should be covered up as well as possible.

HerHissyness Tue 09-Aug-11 19:39:45

<stifles..>

HerHissyness Tue 09-Aug-11 19:39:58

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now