Talk

Advanced search

Police admit they couldn't control rioters last night.

(22 Posts)
CupcakesandTwunting Tue 09-Aug-11 09:06:03

AIBU to think that the able amongst us should try and fight off these barstards? It worked in Dalston where the Turkish/Kurd community saw off the looters from their streets. They don't like numbers of people standing against them, apparently.

If anything starts here, I'll be on my doorstep, rolling pin in hand, in me nightie. <gibbers> Fight or flight, innit?

DooinMeCleanin Tue 09-Aug-11 09:07:48

I'm afraid I'd flight. Were it not for the dc I'd stay and fight my ground, but it's just not worth the risk when children are in the house. I suspect that is why more people did not stand up to help.

WhackadoodleDandy Tue 09-Aug-11 09:09:10

Its admirable but I doubt its what the police want people to do. I think they just want parents to do some parenting and keep the teenagers off the streets, its probably too late for that though.

plupervert Tue 09-Aug-11 09:10:53

I was wondering when the vigilante strain would emerge, but also reflecting last night that my DH generally gets home late, and depends on the train to do so, so he won't be available for any vigilante protection, and ditto for a number of other families I know locally.... so not sure whether that would happen here, at least.

As for myself, I'd love to have a good go at a rioter, but know I can't justify it, given that DS (3yo) would be impossible to keep out of trouble unless I were keeping him out of the way. Motherhood has its limitations.... wink

capricorn76 Tue 09-Aug-11 09:12:41

Fighting with rioters is taking the 'Big Society' thing too far and I wouldn't do it.

capricorn76 Tue 09-Aug-11 09:14:06

The police have asked all employers to allow any employees who are Special Constables to take time off work and report for duty.

surfandturf Tue 09-Aug-11 09:14:39

I'd be with you cupcakes. DH would have to watch the DC's though (he's not as 'ard as me grin)

Pootles2010 Tue 09-Aug-11 09:14:57

The police have already said that spectators etc are getting in the way. I think standing back and letting them get on with their jobs would be best!

CupcakesandTwunting Tue 09-Aug-11 09:15:43

What about if civilians are issued with mini water cannons to fire out of first floor windows? It would help curb the problem and could turn into a fun neighbourhood game. Someone could keep points and the neighbour who floors the most chavs rioters gets a prize.

Sorry, trying to remain upbeat/lighthearted about this because it's fucking frightening.

altinkum Tue 09-Aug-11 09:18:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

glitterkitty Tue 09-Aug-11 09:21:09

yay turks

BanalChelping Tue 09-Aug-11 09:23:19

What you need down there is the little old lady from Gullane who told DS1 off yesterday for biting his brother. He was so scared he hid behind me and shook. I thanked her profusely grin

Thing is, if we were all prepared to step in and to accept others' help, the world would be a far better place <goes all sepia and 1950s, whistles Hovis music, goes to look for axe in OFRS>

Mumwithadragontattoo Tue 09-Aug-11 09:24:42

I tend to think a "reclaim the streets" approach might work. Not actually fighting rioters but just lots of people on the streets. Keeping an eye on the local areas, calling police early if rioting starts, being in their own shops to put off attacks. Also telling youths to piss off if they're congregating before anything really kicks off. If lots of people went out late afternoon and stayed out into the evening it might stop things developing.

CupcakesandTwunting Tue 09-Aug-11 09:25:31

This woman is fucking amazing. Tell it like it is, love!

CupcakesandTwunting Tue 09-Aug-11 09:27:29

There is one picture circulating at the minute of a shop-keeper in Croydon, just standing watching as his shop is being done over by mindless cunts. He looks to be pointing at something, as though he might be telling the looters where the high value stuff is. Heartbreaking.

BitOfFun Tue 09-Aug-11 09:33:47

People should be banging saucepans and blaring out Barry Manilow tunes on the stereo now that the fuckers are getting some kip.

Birdsgottafly Tue 09-Aug-11 09:36:51

The police are asking everyone to stay in, it is making their job more difficult. They are also asking people not to travel unnecessarily so they can keep an easier eye on the movement of people, both are being ignored.

TandB Tue 09-Aug-11 09:40:32

We just need rain. Most of the teenage thugs are delicate little flowers who won't want to get their newly looted trainers wet.

Bet you if it pissed it down tonight there wouldn't be a peep out of anyone.

plupervert Tue 09-Aug-11 10:27:12

So there's a role for the armed forces (or at least the RAF) - seed the clouds for rain above major cities. Very gentle persuasion, persuasion which acts from within the individual, too! grin

WhackadoodleDandy Tue 09-Aug-11 10:35:11

KungFu I said that to my DH, we need a real downpour!

ledkr Tue 09-Aug-11 10:40:02

kungfu i was watching the weather forcast this morning and hasd the same thought grin
The police cant do right tho,this was all kicked off by apparent "police brutality" so now they can hardly go in all heavy handed now can they?

littleducks Tue 09-Aug-11 10:45:20

There were similar reports in Southall (Sikh men turning up to prevent any hassle near a Gudwara) and in the East End (Muslim men standing outside East London Mosque, then chasing off people who started to attack a bank near there).

I totally understand the motivation, I would be desperate to defend my property, especially if I was an independent shopkeeper and it was my livelihood.

But I am not sure it would help, if it turns into all out war on the streets.....and these are not nice people, there are reports of people breaking down doors of little old ladies houses, stripping people on the street, someone was shot....I think it makes life harder for the police, who havent been on the scene quickly in a lot of places, to rescue people who get hurt. Then when they get desperate fires are started, I think it is better to have less people about then, some of the pictures of people jumping out of burning buildings are terrifying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now